IGNORED

Need inexpensive putting green carpet

Note: This thread is 2577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

58e5280a79004_Golfnet4.thumb.JPG.6d40498b456d4c399407b83996005308.JPGI am in the process of cleaning up an area behind my existing golf driving range area and wish to have a 9 x 12 putting green behind the existing net. It will be laid on bare earth if possible provided I can level it out enough and firm it up. I really do not have the resources to dig out a proper putting green, add drainage e.t.c. so want to simply find something to lay in place in a 9 x 12 area.  Home depot has some 9 x 12 outdoor carpeting that is "fair", but would like something just a little better.  I would like the cost to be less than $100. 

Any recommendations?

TIA

James

Note:  Here you can see the area behind the net I am talking about.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

just thinking in advance, maybe I could even borrow a hole making tool from a greenskeeper if I gave him a deposit?  then buy appropriate cup for it. I dunno, prolly not, but no harm in asking.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

change of plans. No more putting green. Making room for red rock extension, replace wooden frame with treated 4 x 4. lay in a few paver stepping stones, some sort of succulent/catcus/floral on the bank behind.

extension_rock_ready.thumb.JPG.e29912d04a758f2ebd4900b590ea4114.JPG

"James"

I am really jealous that you have the ability to hit balls at home. As of matter of fact, I told my wife we should sell ours and buy a house with plenty of back yard to practice...lol.

I started to add the cost of going to the driving range 3 to 4 times per week and I realized it is not pennies.  I have gotten a lot better and solve a bunch of issues in my swing because I spent a lot of time practicing, but still got ways to go. If I only had the ability to practice and hitting balls for free I would get even better in a shorter amount of time. 

Good luck with the project. 

18 minutes ago, Hategolf said:

I am really jealous that you have the ability to hit balls at home. As of matter of fact, I told my wife we should sell ours and buy a house with plenty of back yard to practice...lol.

I started to add the cost of going to the driving range 3 to 4 times per week and I realized it is not pennies.  I have gotten a lot better and solve a bunch of issues in my swing because I spent a lot of time practicing, but still got ways to go. If I only had the ability to practice and hitting balls for free I would get even better in a shorter amount of time. 

Good luck with the project. 

Thank you, My set up is mediocre, but better than nothing. I hesitate hitting driver as no matter how careful, once in a while I might get a pop up. With the cage set up I had prior to the storm damage, this was not a concern.  Hitting into a net is good for mechanics, but lacking in ball flight feed back, however, you can get a fair amount  by watching where the ball strikes the target, as well as the sound it makes and argueably by the path the ball takes rolling back to you after hitting the net.  (very much like The Net Return).   The back yard is not all that large, the usable space is only about 60 ft x 15ft.  It is handy though, anytime day or night, clothed or not  (not going to explain that). 

"James"

Home Depot but avoid the artificial turf stuff look at the brown and grey indoor/outdoor they have on the reels. I buy 12x12 every other month and it's just under $60. I putt on it all the time but we use it in the living room like a giant puppy pad until it stinks, old dogs don't always make it through the night.

Dave :-)

@Dave2512 Good idea, but I've laid in some Vegas Pink rock to finish the landscape. I might entertain the idea of using carpet as you suggest and lay it on top of the existing artificial turf or a 10 x 12 slab area we have.

"James"

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

@Dave2512 Good idea, but I've laid in some Vegas Pink rock to finish the landscape. I might entertain the idea of using carpet as you suggest and lay it on top of the existing artificial turf or a 10 x 12 slab area we have.

Patio slabs usually work great because they are smooth and have a little bit of break for water runoff.

Note: This thread is 2577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!