IGNORED

Did Verplank Get Shafted on 13?

roverT7
Note: This thread is 5979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Scott Verplank Have Been Assessed A Penalty-Stroke on 13?

• Yes, it doesn't matter if he actually "caused" the ball to move.
    • No, he was adament he didn't cause the ball to move.
    • I have no idea...but Nick Faldo's comment about Rory was classic!

Aren't the rules pretty black and white on this one, once you ground the club behind the ball you are deemed to have addressed the ball and if the ball moves its a stroke penalty and you replace the ball in the original spot, I may be wrong but it seems like he should of known not to ground the club considering the conditions??

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Aren't the rules pretty black and white on this one, once you ground the club behind the ball you are deemed to have addressed the ball and if the ball moves its a stroke penalty and you replace the ball in the original spot, I may be wrong but it seems like he should of known not to ground the club considering the conditions??

From TD22057's post: http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...ons/dec18.html 18-2b/4 Ball Moves After Player Grounds Club But Before Stance Completed Q. A player’s routine prior to making a stroke is as follows: He first grounds the club directly behind the ball with his feet together. Then he gradually widens his feet to shoulder width. At that point, he makes the stroke. If the ball moves after he grounds the club but before he widens his stance to shoulder width, does he incur a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2b (Ball Moving After Address)? A. No. A player has not addressed the ball until he completes taking his stance, i.e., his feet are essentially in the position in which he normally places them when making a stroke. However, if the ball moved after the club was grounded but before the player had completed taking his stance, he incurs a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2a for having caused the ball to move and must replace the ball, unless there is strong evidence that wind or some other agency caused the ball to move. (Revised)

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

unless there is strong evidence that wind or some other agency caused the ball to move. (Revised)

In this case is it not obvious that this was the cause then, as the evidence seems pretty strong, but Verplank was the only player to suffer from the ball moving as a result of the conditions?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

In this case is it not obvious that this was the cause then, as the evidence seems pretty strong, but Verplank was the only player to suffer from the ball moving as a result of the conditions?

Yeah. Wind gusts, severe angled lie, etc. would seem to be compelling evidence, but like you said, Verplank was the only one that suffered from the conditions. That could also just be fluke.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Note: This thread is 5979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!