IGNORED

My Swing (domwatts23)

Domwatts23
Note: This thread is 1072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 30
My typical ball flight is: Straight/straight slice
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Driver/hybrid/long iron slice

Videos: 

Hi,

Here are a few videos of my swing. I have been playing for 6 months and I play righty. I started off hitting all of my drives straight and a slice has crept in over the last couple of months. I have also noticed it with my hybrid and long irons, and every now and then a short iron as well. So clearly there is a fundamental swing error causing this. 

I used to think I was coming over the top but now that I have seen a couple of  videos I am not so sure and I'm starting to think that it might be the club face being open and/or something to do with my release. 

When I focus properly and do not rush, about 80% of the time I would say I can hit a straight drive about 250. But I would really like to know what you guys think is causing the slice and any other comments you have on my swing, as my friends and I are playing very regularly now and we are all keen to improve as fast as possible. 

I have also noticed and people have commented that I stand very close to the ball (closer than others), and I am wondering if this is something which needs to be changed. I have never had a lesson except for one when I was about 9 years old during which I was taught the very basics (I guess)

You will also notice a video of a terrible slice with a left-hand drive. I am predominantly left-handed but slightly ambidextrous. I used to play quite a good level of tennis left-handed, but I tend to throw things righty. So cricket I bat lefty and bowl righty. So I've always instinctively picked up the golf club with my right hand (probably because there weren't any left-handed ones around!) Anyway, I feel comfortable and confident right-handed in golf but I have also tried to experiment with a couple of left-handed clubs to see how I get on. I can play short chips really nicely and feel like I have good feel lefty, but I struggle more with the longer clubs, naturally. I slice hugely with my left-hand drive and I wonder if that might give a clue about my right hand slice also, as it makes sense that I would be trying to do the same swing but on the other side. I know people will probably say that I should just stick to righty, but I'm enjoying hitting it with both.

I really appreciate any feedback and advice in advance. 

Best wishes,

Dom

(edited)

Just a quick question...what is the white line painted on the mat? Is that supposed to represent swing path?

The first thing I would focus on is keeping a steady head.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, I'll have a go at this. I thought I was keeping it straight until you mentioned it! Now I can see it actually moves quite a lot.

Any other comments from anyone?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 years later...
(edited)

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 85
My typical ball flight is: Draw/hook
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hook/push/slice

Hi everyone, I changed to an in to out path in order to learn to draw and I developed a very nasty hook over the last 18 months (also flipping wrists at impact at times which I am learning to reduce). Now that I've been trying to change it I've been hitting some fades but I would like to know what you all think of the swings in this video. Unfortunately, no ball so I don't know where these would have gone. I'm relatively happy with the backswing and I think there is something about the downswing and release which is causing me issues. I want to learn to change this path to in-to-in and get back to hitting straight!

After working on steepening the path a little a couple of weeks back, I started slicing my drives after hitting them pretty straight or with a draw for 18 months, and I've included one horrible one in this post which started straight and went way right. I can see that there's a lot of out-to-in on the path of that one and would also love a couple of ideas of how to bring that back to straight if possible. I've found that hitting with confidence has straightened it out towards the end of my last round, but I was still hitting a bit out-to-in.

Overall the combination of these videos show where I am at. Trying to get back to hitting straight after dabbling in the world of horrible hooks with the odd lovely draw. 

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice you can give!

Videos: 

Edited by iacas
embedded videos. please do this.

4 hours ago, Domwatts23 said:

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hook/push/slice

Hi everyone, I changed to an in to out path in order to learn to draw and I developed a very nasty hook over the last 18 months (also flipping wrists at impact at times which I am learning to reduce). Now that I've been trying to change it I've been hitting some fades but I would like to know what you all think of the swings in this video. Unfortunately, no ball so I don't know where these would have gone. I'm relatively happy with the backswing and I think there is something about the downswing and release which is causing me issues. I want to learn to change this path to in-to-in and get back to hitting straight!

After working on steepening the path a little a couple of weeks back, I started slicing my drives after hitting them pretty straight or with a draw for 18 months, and I've included one horrible one in this post which started straight and went way right. I can see that there's a lot of out-to-in on the path of that one and would also love a couple of ideas of how to bring that back to straight if possible. I've found that hitting with confidence has straightened it out towards the end of my last round, but I was still hitting a bit out-to-in.

Overall the combination of these videos show where I am at. Trying to get back to hitting straight after dabbling in the world of horrible hooks with the odd lovely draw. 

https://youtu.be/3k_zppbWl3w

https://youtu.be/gvHuY36k9T4

https://youtu.be/E_z77EKNrZo

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice you can give!

Videos: 

Thanks for posting. We need to see a video of you hitting a ball. Practice swings without a ball can be very different.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hook/push/slice

Graduated from the slice, reached 10 handicap.

Started developing a draw, turned into a horrible hook for a year.

Trying to get back to hitting straight or hitting a consistent draw which I can easily change to a straight shot or fade when a draw is not appropriate.

Suddenly started slicing drives two weeks ago for the first time in 2 years.

There is a selection of of videos below with different outcomes. Mixture of drives and 7 irons both Rear View and Down The Line. Each set of videos includes misses both sides and a good shot and the titles say what the outcome was. I hope this helps to make it easier for some of you to advise me. I would like more consistency in my swing and to correct my main errors. Many thanks in advance. 

Videos: 

Drives:

7 Irons:

@Domwatts23 please don’t make a new topic every time you upload a new video.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Ah I apologise for that. I was a little rushed and totally forgot I should have added them to the existing thread. I cannot believe those videos all the way up there I posted 4 years ago, I completely forgot about them. 

Note: This thread is 1072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!