IGNORED

Strange 'bottom groove' high spin shot

Note: This thread is 2537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep hitting an iron shot into greens (by accident) that looks like it should be dreadful but consistently ends up being great.  My playing partner and I were discussing whether it is just a fluke that keeps on happening or if it is something that I should be trying to figure out how to hit consistently.  (He is getting dejected because he initially thinks I've topped the ball only to see it land perfectly on the green!)

My approach into the 18th on my last round is a perfect example.  150 yds out so I took an 8 iron.  I hit the shot and it felt like I was hitting up on the ball making contact on the bottom grooves.  The ball came out with a much lower trajectory and an audible 'fizz'.  Landed on the green at exactly 150 yds and stopped in one bounce.

It is almost the exact opposite feeling to when I try to hit a low trajectory high spinning wedge shot but the result is similar (in fact the accident shot feels a bit better).  If you asked me to play this type of shot I would have the ball a bit further back and hit down dragging the handle forward feeling like I'm trapping the ball.  With the accidental shot I definitely feel like I'm almost hitting up but making contact with the bottom of the face.  

Am I just getting random good luck or is this a shot worth chasing?

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

• Administrator

Vertical gear effect: shots hit low on the face have more spin but come out lower.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...and no, I wouldn't "chase" that shot.  You're about a groove away from a dead blade.  Not good!

;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

^^^^^ What they said! I've hit a few of those as well. I knew I had hit a kind of "semi-bladed" shot, but I had enough feel to know that it was spinning about a bazillion rpm! Did it on a par 3 and it's the closest I've ever been to a hole in one!

Note: This thread is 2537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!