IGNORED

David Duval: Can He Make A Comeback?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Will David Duval Do This Year?

• A Total Bust . . . fades away
    • Plays Decent . . . but not good enough for card
    • Plays Well . . . gets card for 2009
    • Plays Great . . . gets a victory

Tiger scared him into a swing change from which he will never recover.
Same thing Fred Couples did to Hubert Green.
Green never lost his card but he was never the same player.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One above the cut line. He should be able to make it with the soft greens, but made 2 bogies against 1 birdie in 5 holes.

Made a bunch of bogies. Cut. Somehow, I'm have schaudenfraude about watching him fail.

• Administrator
. . .I saw David Duval on T.V. at the tournament last weekend and he has gained 50 lbs.!! I always remembered him as being very fit and in fact, had remarked that after his injuries slowed him down that he had to get in real good shape to compete with the likes of the Tiger Wood's on the tour.

That's been his plan. When he reached #1 he was kind of chunky. Then he got super-fit, started sucking, and so now he's reverted back. He's given up his swing changes, his diet and exercise (somewhat)... etc.

It's intentional.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings ....

That's not surprising. New Orleans usually has one of the weaker fields.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Tiger scared him into a swing change from which he will never recover.

That's so true about DD, huge mistake, he thought he could stay on top by making adjustments, didn't realize the force that Tiger was and is. Should have just kept playing his game.

I didn't know about the Couples/Green situation, would you care to fill me in on that one? Hubert used to drive us all crazy by resetting over his iron shots over and over and over and . . . :)

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

What kind of clubs is Duval playing now anyways???

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

That's so true about DD, huge mistake, he thought he could stay on top by making adjustments, didn't realize the force that Tiger was and is. Should have just kept playing his game.

It was pretty well documented at the time. Hubert sort of fell off the planet for a few years.

That was when the pre-shot routine of bouncing up and down and re-gripping got really long. Fuzzy Zoeller once said, "Oh, that's just my friend Hubert looking for his golf swing." (Oh, I forgot to include those guys in the thread about who gets the most on tour.) I played with him in a pro-am in 1987. Nobody ever asked him about it, but he seemed self-conscious about his age. He told me he was forty about four times on the front nine as if he was telling me he had a disease. I was a mere 38. He told me, "You know I haven't played good golf our here for about ten years." I replied, "Didn't you win the PGA a couple of years ago?" He told me, "Don't get me wrong but you can win out here without playing good." After a few jokes about that, I asked him what happened and what he was working on. He told me he made a swing change because he needed more distance to keep up with the new guys. Hubert didn't mention him by name. I picked Couples in my example because he was really a star, had won the TPC, was only about 28 and had acquired the nickname "Boom Boom". There were also some other younger, bigger hitters like Calcavecchia, Sindelar, Love III. He went on to say he was then just trying to get back the swing he had. Apparently he found it when he went on the senior tour.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

What kind of clubs is Duval playing now anyways???

I haven't seen his bag on TV in five years so I can't tell you.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

Yeah- Duval is starting to look embarrassing. Is he getting sponsor's exemption's? Why is he taking a spot away from some one that actually has a chance to make the cut? He needs to go back to the minor leagues for a bit and see if he can get better instead of wasting a spot every other week on the PGA.

I like DD, however in watching him, he looks terrible, very out of shape. I think if he applied himself into a serious fitness regimen and nutrition program and lost some weight he could do it. Work with Butch or Hank someone that can get his head on straight. I also think he is just too comfortable, some of these guys get some $$$ and lose the hunger.

I would love to see him back in the top 10...

I want to pound the MEATHEAD & The METROSEXUAL from the Slazenger RAW commercial..

Even i, as a Duval Sycophantic, was a bit shocked to see him top an approach shot in to the water after driving it in to the water...this is poor...at his level, its about fractions, and with mistakes like that he will continue to struggle to make cuts.

its on the highlights videon on the Golfchannel.com...is the first player to be covered..check it out..lol

• 3 weeks later...
I see DD as a top 5 PGA player. Once he realizes that he can win again, he will zone in 25 times more than Tiger. He is the one player when on his game can stand toe to toe with Tiger and win.

Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!