IGNORED

David Duval: Can He Make A Comeback?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Will David Duval Do This Year?

• A Total Bust . . . fades away
    • Plays Decent . . . but not good enough for card
    • Plays Well . . . gets card for 2009
    • Plays Great . . . gets a victory

• Administrator
He looks like a completely different person from the last time I remember seeing him. I'm sorry if I've missed something, but does he have health issues? He gained some weight, didn't know if he's dealing with something

He's gained weight on purpose, he's stopped working out, etc. He's trying to revert to his "old form" rather than the "new form" that didn't work.

Either way, who cares. As someone said above: can he? yeah. Will he? No. Zzzzzzzzzz. Wake me up when he's 50 and decides to play on the Champions Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only comeback he's making is to the dinner table. Wow! Put on a few lbs. did you there DD. Is the DD his initials or the size man bra he'll be needing soon?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
The only comeback he's making is to the dinner table. Wow! Put on a few lbs. did you there DD. Is the DD his initials or the size man bra he'll be needing soon?

C'mon Danny - we've already discussed this. He put a few pounds back on

on purpose . He wasn't exactly svelte when he was #1 and winning tournaments.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

C'mon Danny - we've already discussed this. He put a few pounds back on

True, and I have no doubt it was on purpose. I imagine now that its crunch time and he is looking at the possibility of having no status on the PGA Tour next year, he is probably trying anything he can to get his game jump started. I would probably do the same thing. And no he was no where near svelte when he was #1 in the world.

That does not mean that I can't poke fun at him still. Heck, I like the guy, I root for him every tournament. I kid because I care!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Duval had 2 doubles and a treble- apart from that it was a reasonable round.

Sounds like my round today LOL! Maybe I can make a comeback too?

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• Administrator
Duval will be back. His second round was impressive at one point- he was 4 under for 10 holes..but when he realised that the cut was beyond him he threw the towel in.

Yeah, only two more birdies in the final eight holes and he'd have made it.

I don't buy that at all, and if he did throw in the towel, that'd make him an even MORE undeserving person.

I root for Duval because i see a lot of him in me- i can see the mercury and the brilliance in him but he must get his head straight. Food and golf are sensual experiences..once he can learn to enjoy food again, his golf will get better.

We need to look after the golf world's interesting characters. If he keeps practising and stays interested, i actually think he could win a tournament this year.

• Administrator
We need to look after the golf world's interesting characters. If he keeps practising and stays interested, i actually think he could win a tournament this year.

David was regarded as one of the most UN-interesting people when he was playing golf. He never showed a bit of emotion, he wore the sunglasses all the time (for allergies, I realize, but it hurt his image), and he's very private and "average" except for his skills (or, rather, the skills he once had).

I get that you're a fan, but look at the reality, too please. He may have been interesting to you, but the "golf world" didn't regard him as such.

I tend to think that he is interesting because of the privacy that he surrounds himself in. He is private, and he likes his wraparounds, but i would never desribe him as dull. I always enjoyed his quietness and then his raucous fist pumps at the climax of tournaments. There is no doubt that Duval has a mystique and a certain aloofness about him but i believe that to be intriguing.

Duval has set up a course design business- his website is under construction as Duvaldesign.com. The pgatour site states that he has projects all over the world, especially in Asia and Australia.

• Administrator
I tend to think that he is interesting because of the privacy that he surrounds himself in. He is private, and he likes his wraparounds, but i would never desribe him as dull. I always enjoyed his quietness and then his raucous fist pumps at the climax of tournaments. There is no doubt that Duval has a mystique and a certain aloofness about him but i believe that to be intriguing.

As I said above:

I get that you're a fan, but look at the reality, too please. He may have been interesting to you, but the "golf world" didn't regard him as such.

David was regarded as one of the most UN-interesting people when he was playing golf. He never showed a bit of emotion, he wore the sunglasses all the time (for allergies, I realize, but it hurt his image), and he's very private and "average" except for his skills (or, rather, the skills he once had).

I have read this thread and I agree with iacas' post above ( 2 posts up ). I recall when Duval was a player on the scene, but I never had any enthusiasm for him. I admired his play but as a personality, he bored me. Nothing against him, mind you, I just didn't find him a compelling personality. So, when he faded from view, I readily followed those who replaced him. I have found it interesting to note that he did have his fans, although I was never among that group. One wishes him well, though.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Gotta love those wrap-around sunglasses. Hurt his image? I don't know about that, but sales for those type of shades went through the roof circa 1999-2002.

Keep trying, David.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

So he has a golf course design business, and that makes him interesting how? He's probably "big" in Asia and Australia because he can't get any jobs in the states.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I wish him the best. I hope he can overcome what he has been lacking over the past few years. I'd love to see him at the top of his game to battle Tiger.

Driver: Titleist 983K, 9.5°, Aldila NV-65S
3-Wood: Titleist 906F2, 15°, Aldila NV-75S
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue TP, 19°, Aldila NV-85S
Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP, S300, 3-PW
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 900 56.14Putter: Ping Anser 4, 34"Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Any predictions for David Duval in the AT&T; tournament starting today?...i say he shoots 2 under and level tomorrow to make the cut. That would be nice to see. Will Duval receive an invite to play in the US Open this year?...i hope so, he can still play.

Dave is +1 after 4..looks gloomy.

Any predictions for David Duval in the AT&T; tournament starting today?

He misses the cut... and I don't think it will be close. Heck, I'd give Greg Norman better odds at making the cut.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!