IGNORED

David Duval: Can He Make A Comeback?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 5015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Will David Duval Do This Year?

• A Total Bust . . . fades away
    • Plays Decent . . . but not good enough for card
    • Plays Well . . . gets card for 2009
    • Plays Great . . . gets a victory

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cut will be moving to +4 shortly, and if the conditions stay tough, it might move to +5. I doubt it, but there is a chance Duval makes it to the weekend.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the cut just went to +5... DD on the weekend??????

Daly, on the other hand, I saw was putting with his wedge and folks he will not be making the cut...

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

ive still got faith in JD- he made an eagle on 3.

Duval..hes probably gone home already. Hope hes brought a change of clothes for the weekend and a nice new box of Nike Platinum Ones. He will tie about 60th after the second round.

This could be the start of a beautiful adventure on a weekend. If he wins this tournament he will play the US Open.

• Administrator
This could be the start of a beautiful adventure on a weekend. If he wins this tournament he will play the US Open.

Huh? No he won't. You're just a fountain of bad information about David Duval, aren't you? Kenny Perry won The Memorial and didn't automatically qualify.

The field is set. Duval sucks and I'm really, really tempted to close this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This thread should have been dead a long time ago....

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

While I'll go along with the idea that Duval's game stinks, I don't agree that this thread should be closed. So there are some DD fans on the site, it's 15 pages long and still gets plenty of posts, why pull it down? While he won't make the US Open field next week even with a 10 stroke victory it is good to see him finally make a cut, although it would have been better had he earned it, rather than throwing up a back nine 39 including a final hole bogey to do it. But I do wish him the best. I'll be staying tuned.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I like DD and used to follow him pretty close, but it is time to call it a career. He had a good one, better than most and has nothing to be ashamed of. Calling this a comeback - it isn't right. To be a comeback he would have to progressivly get better and that simply isn't happening.

The man has lost his PGA tour game and - hey go forth, coach at the college level or do whatever but someone needs to pull him aside and let him know - not everyone rides forever and the period after the ride is built on your name. Don't turn into someone who blows their good name on a misguided idea that you are coming back. The field has gotten larger and collectivly better in the past 5 years. He isn't coming back to the same tour he used to be so good at.

Andrew

• Administrator
why pull it down?

Why?

I like DD and used to follow him pretty close, but it is time to call it a career. He had a good one, better than most and has nothing to be ashamed of. Calling this a comeback - it isn't right. To be a comeback he would have to progressivly get better and that simply isn't happening.

That's why.

Combined with Duval's supposed #1 fan getting simple facts wrong (the U.S. Open thing)... it just doesn't serve much of a purpose other than for DBM to bump his post counts. I haven't closed it, P4B, and my comment was off the cuff, not serious. I'll just ignore the thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Duval sucks and I'm really, really tempted to close this thread.

Even if you did close it no doubt someone would start a new one the next time he makes a birdie, gets near the cut line, ties his shoes, whatever. At least there's sort of a one and only David Duval thread. Easy to find and easy to ignore

Besides, he just made a cut
Combined with Duval's supposed #1 fan getting simple facts wrong (the U.S. Open thing)... it just doesn't serve much of a purpose other than for DBM to bump his post counts.

LOL...

I have to admit Duval and his following amuse me. He was viewed as such an ass when he was good too. Something about a fallen horse that intrigues people.
I dont think we should shut the thread down until the end of the season. Duval is still a capable player and could cause a surpise. My feeling is that if you dont like Duval dont comment on this thread. There are plenty who like him and support him.

Not sure about the capable player thing but I agree with the rest.

A fairly decent round from Duval. Looking for a decent finish. Anyone who says that Duval is finished- what the heck do you know about it?

He's finished. However, I'll follow along and for your sake (and the many who voted that he would make a comeback) hope I'm wrong.

How old is this thread?
Gee-zuss.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

How old is this thread?

You do realize that this thread had just about fallen to page two of "Tour Talk" before your post bumped it back up.

• 1 month later...
. . . Duval sucks and I'm really, really tempted to close this thread.

Good thing you didn't yield to temptation and pull the thread! LOL

I'm the first to eat crow here, I'm shocked, I thought he was finished, but there's a lot of others dining with me. LOL! Let's just say he's 3/4 of the way back. But rounds of 73, 69, 71 under those conditions is impossible to ignore. He outplayed most of the field in the Open. So at this point I'd have to say that he is going to make it back which is an incredible story and well worth having a thread about.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

boy tho .. i hadn't seen him since the US open 2 years ago .. he's gotten quite a bit frumpier!

Sean

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11S 9 degree.  Set to upright 8 degree.  Aldila RIP Alpha 60s X flex shaft.

3 wood: TaylorMade 13 degree RocketBallz (coming shortly).. X Flex Matrix X Conn.

Hybrids: 2iron / 4iron Taylor Burner Rescue.

Irons: 5 - PW 2008 Model Year Titleist AP2

Wedges: 49*, 54* 60* Cleveland 588 Rusties.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Long.

Balls: Titleist Pro VX

Bag: Titleist Black / Red Staff

boy tho .. i hadn't seen him since the US open 2 years ago .. he's gotten quite a bit frumpier!

FRUMPIER = better play for Duval.

If you saw him 'back in the day' that is how he looked when he was playing his best. It's when he freaked out about trying to beat down Tiger and started pumping iron and wearing tight shirts like a body builder that his game went to he**. We were all set for some huge intense rivalry between Duval and Tiger and it never happened, Tiger has dominated ever since. The fact is Duval can't stand being anything less than #1, he only plays for greatness, and with Tiger occupying that spot, he can't get motivated. I don't think it's coincidence now that Tigers out that Duval suddenly shows up at the Open looking like a serious contender once again. Tigers knee is Duvals best medicine.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

It's when he freaked out about trying to beat down Tiger and started pumping iron and wearing tight shirts like a body builder that his game went to he**.

What? The guy had Vertigo! Than, when he was starting to play better, his wife had complications with her pregnancy and he choose to put his family ahead of golf. He took another year off, right when he was starting to play good again, to tend to his family, as his wife layed in bed for something like 5 months striaght.

You are talking out of your a** here.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

Duval's next event will be the Reno Tahoe i believe- everyone else will be at the World Golf Champsionships. DD has 7 events left to make his mark.

I noticed that there is a tournament hosted by Justin Timberlake in September..the 'Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open'....sounds interesting.

Note: This thread is 5015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!