IGNORED

Out to in or not? I can't decide?

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Joefree said:

i should just leave my driver in the car..

Nonsense....you are going to learn how to hit that Driver. Tell your pro..that is imperative he teaches you how to hit it straight..after 4 lessons you should be able to hit some straight shots based on what your swing looks like..if you are making no progress I would fire him. More importantly he needs to show you what causes your open face at impact. 

All the best. 

If it's a slice that bothers you make sure to focus on the right thumb coming through and finishing over the left shoulder.

A subtle feel of allowing the toe of the club to 'eat' the ball.

I prefer feeling the face in the right hand instead of the typical golf back of left hand thing.

The harder you try to swing with your body the more pronounced the feel of the right thumb getting through imo.

If the body is inactive with this feel you will learn about the geography of the left side of the course.

6 hours ago, Hategolf said:

Nonsense....you are going to learn how to hit that Driver. Tell your pro..that is imperative he teaches you how to hit it straight..after 4 lessons you should be able to hit some straight shots based on what your swing looks like..if you are making no progress I would fire him. More importantly he needs to show you what causes your open face at impact. 

All the best. 

In my pros defence, I do hit a lot of really good shots during his lesson and the times he's stopped to see how I'm getting on on the range. 

I think my sequencing is out on the course and I start the swing from the top down rather than the other way around.

6 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

If it's a slice that bothers you make sure to focus on the right thumb coming through and finishing over the left shoulder.

I prefer feeling the face in the right hand instead of the typical golf back of left hand thing.

The harder you try to swing with your body the more pronounced the feel of the right thumb getting through imo.

If the body is inactive with this feel you will learn about the geography of the left side of the course.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I wanna try an early wrist hing as well, I find it easier to keep my left wrist flat this way and it stops me swinging so shallow, which makes my shoulder alignment shallow.

Since it seems like your overarching issue is taking your good swing from the range to the course, would it be possible for your instructor to join you on the course for a round?

• Upvote 1

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Listen to your pro.  Your wasting time, money, and effort searching for affirmation or opinions from the golf forums.  

Golf is hard enough.

You are swinging slightly in to out. 

38 minutes ago, vjgidda said:

Listen to your pro.  Your wasting time, money, and effort searching for affirmation or opinions from the golf forums.  

Golf is hard enough.

You are swinging slightly in to out. 

The guy said he has spent quite a bit of money already with the pro. I'm certainly not a great golfer, but a slice should not be that hard to cure for a pro with a guy that has what seems to be pretty decent athletic skills...may be I'm missing something here. But I have taking lessons too from different instructors and I did not find them to be gurus...only one guy made a great difference. I actually learned a lot more on my own based on my research. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hategolf said:

The guy said he has spent quite a bit of money already with the pro. I'm certainly not a great golfer, but a slice should not be that hard to cure for a pro with a guy that has what seems to be pretty decent athletic skills...may be I'm missing something here. But I have taking lessons too from different instructors and I did not find them to be gurus...only one guy made a great difference. I actually learned a lot more on my own based on my research. 

I absolutely agree.

• Upvote 1

I am still working on what my pro has taught me, it's put 10 yards on all my irons and made me really comfortable and confident with them. I can even shape the ball flight with them if need be. I'm also gonna ask him to play a few holes with me next time I have a lesson. 

I don't think doing my own research can hurt as long as it's in conjunction with lessons. I always tell him what I've been working on.

I do think my swing sequence is an issue, I've neglected it for a while because for some reason it's never come up in my lessons. But I'm definitely not clearing my hips enough which causes the club to swing in from the target line as it approaches the ball.

• Upvote 1

For those that are interested, I saw my pro today and we played a few holes then went on the range. 

It seems I was collapsing my left leg and my left hip was turning to much away from the ball. He had me turning my right hip towards the ball whilst trying to keep my left hip from going behind me and my leg straighter and it seems to have done the trick.

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2017 at 8:29 PM, Jack Watson said:

"eat the ball?"

"face in the right hand?"

No offense, but these seem like really personal feels.

Edited by chspeed

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Former banana slicer here who still hits one once in a while if I don't concentrate. What I have found helps me is to aim my shoulders slightly to the right of the target, when my feet are set up aimed at the target, this promotes an in to out swing. If I overdo it, though, or do it with a hybrid, I end up with a hook. A little goes a long way, is what I am saying. 

58 minutes ago, Moppy said:

Former banana slicer here who still hits one once in a while if I don't concentrate. What I have found helps me is to aim my shoulders slightly to the right of the target, when my feet are set up aimed at the target, this promotes an in to out swing. If I overdo it, though, or do it with a hybrid, I end up with a hook. A little goes a long way, is what I am saying. 

Yeah, I have tried that before. It didn't really help. It was to do with what happened just before contact. Like an in to in swing if you like. Caused by turning away from the ball to much with my right hip. 

I played a round to day, hit a couple of strong fades but other than that alls good. 

13 hours ago, Joefree said:

played a round to day, hit a couple of strong fades but other than that alls good.

I'm glad you got it under control, slices suck. I think the reason they are so difficult is that the cause seems different with just about every guy.

1 hour ago, Moppy said:

I'm glad you got it under control, slices suck. I think the reason they are so difficult is that the cause seems different with just about every guy.

Yeah, I've certainly never heard of someone slicing for turning their left hip to much away from the ball.

now I have to get confidence in the straight draw I've developed with my irons haha. Doesn't feel right aiming right of the green as I've always hit straight or a pull fade/push draw

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!