IGNORED

Marking Ball on Fringe

406pat
Note: This thread is 2483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was watching the LPGA Manulife Classic today and I saw something interesting. One player was on the fringe about an inch off the green. She elected to putt from there and marked her ball. Shouldn't that be a penalty? It didn't look like there was any way that her ball could have assisted or impeded her competitors balls so I don't think she could lift under 22-1 and I don't see a reason her competitors would ask her to lift under 22-2. It really looked like she just marked it to line up the ball to putt. Assuming that she wasn't asked to mark, shouldn't that be a penalty under 18-2?

I go by Pat or Patrick. Been called a lot worse so I don't mind either.
Driver - Cobra Fly Z + Stiff cut to 33" with CP2 Jumbo Wrap Grip
3 Hybrid - Cobra Fly Z + 19o Lamkin Crossline Oversize
4-6 Cobra F7 ONElength Lamkin Crossline Oversize

7-GW Cobra F7 Lamkin Crossline Oversize
52, 56, and 60 Wilson Harmonized Lamkin Crossline Oversize
Putter - Testing several at the moment

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It probably wasn't on the fringe. They sometimes mow around the perimeter of the green with the last go-round to make a clean edge, and that can sometimes look like the fringe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It sure looked like fringe and I thought the announcers said it was on the fringe but TV perspectives can be weird and announcers can be wrong. I'll try to find a pic or video. Wish I had recorded it. If anyone sees a replay it was Lexi and I'm pretty sure it was the tenth green but could have been the eleventh. 

16 minutes ago, 406pat said:

Wish I had recorded it. If anyone sees a replay it was Lexi

Maybe it was on the fringe, but she marked it then moved it to the green.

(somebody had to; might as well be me)

:-P

• Upvote 3

- John

I've had my ball on the green but up against the edge of the fringe many times which put my ball marker on the fringe when I marked it.  Maybe that's what happened.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Tough to know without actually seeing it, but it's also worth mentioning that the entire ball doesn't need to be on the green for the ball to be deemed on the putting green.  It's on the green if any part of the ball is touching the green.  That means that a mark could very easily be on the fringe even when the ball itself is deemed to be on the putting surface.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Pretty good @Hardspoon! I got a solid laugh out of that!

I was able to find a replay online so I could get some screenshots.

First, here's what I saw that got me thinking - the circle is where the mark is and from this angle it looks like it's on the fringe.

593c2c994a4b9_Fringe1.jpg.f80de1b2c7879c963cf0be6c327b7916.jpg

Here's a closer view once she placed the ball and it looks to be on the fringe from this angle too.

593c2ca67bf77_Fringe3.jpg.4429afd32db3f1e7ce4842021da1df07.jpg

But, when I rewind to when the shot landed and stopped with a different camera angle, it sure looks like the ball is sitting on the green and not on the fringe.

593c2c99e34e5_Fringe2.jpg.b082e080dc46940772774cd92cee9345.jpg

I think I was a victim of perspective. She's definitely putting off some longer grass, but I now think she was just on the last foot of green before the fringe. The angle and framing of the first two pictures hide the transition between the fringe and the little bit longer grass on the edge of the green so it all looks like uniform fringe. The last picture seems to tell a different story.

The video is here if anyone wants more than pictures

Any thoughts?

How is fringe defined anyways? Or, I guess the definition of the putting green would be more relevant.  I would have played it like it was fringe if it were me, based on the pictures you posted.  Like you mentioned, the grass under her ball is clearly longer than the rest of the putting surface. 

USGA definition-

Putting Green

The "putting green' is all ground of the hole being played that is specially prepared for putting or otherwise defined as such by the Committee. A ball is on the putting green when any part of it touches the putting green.

• Administrator

Looks like the last circle around the putting green like I talked about earlier. 

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Looks like the last circle around the putting green like I talked about earlier. 

Couldn't we expect to see the entire ball if it were the green? It looks to me like the bottom left section of the ball is obscured by grass in the second picture. 

• Administrator

I'll revise what I have said that's far. That looks like the fringe for sure. So the next obvious question is this: where they playing lift clean and place in your fairway?

(edited)

Turns out that they were. Well that makes an issue a non issue in a hurry.

http://www.lpga.com/news/2017-manulife-lpga-classic-round-2-notes-and-interviews

Edited by 406pat
Found new info

It looks like it was indeed lift, clean and place: 

The 6,613-yard track is still recovering from an unusually wet and cool spring in the area. Players were allowed to lift, clean and replace balls on closely mowed fairway areas.

Source: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canadians-get-off-to-strong-starts-at-manulife-classic-1.3449642?autoPlay=true#

Note: This thread is 2483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!