IGNORED

Ten Minutes to Pain Free Golf

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here it is. A simple but powerful exercise series for Golf that anyone can do. I have included 3 levels so you can amp it up when you are ready. This in time will add strength, balance, and mobility to your golf body and help to protect you against injury with  minimum of time commitment.

Ten minutes to pain free golf

This sequence  is done in 3 levels

The first level is done at normal speed until the sequence is memorized. ( this may take a week)

The second level is done at slow or super slow speed so the muscles begin 

to create a connection to one another. ( you will feel this )

The third level  is done by holding each position then slowly doing the 

exercise at the same slow pace as the second level 

Spend as much time at each level as you need to. Do it once a day if you 

can. It only takes 10 min

The Exercise Routine

1. Start on all fours. Drop the belly with an inhale, lift the head stop

then round the back, drop the head  and exhale (repeat 3 or 4 times)

593ef15953af6_images(17).jpeg.fe442751f626b8fcb205c7dfe3333dd8.jpeg

2. From all fours, suck the belly in and reach the right hand forward and the 

left leg back. Now bend the back leg and see if you can reach the back foot

with the right hand. If you can press into the hand with the foot and feel the

muscles engage then release back to all fours.

download.png.36a50050ad87d4ec1065786ed9323e3e.png593ef1803ac06_images(9).jpeg.82335a08d5454cb2df19abb94792e9ee.jpeg

3. Reach the right arm out to your side. Now lift it to the ceiling and place 

it on the small of the back and lift the right shoulder slightly up. Take a 

couple of breaths, then release the right arm to the ceiling and bring it down

and underneath the body and across then drop to the right shoulder and 

breathe. 

593ef19f4c4e6_images(12).jpeg.3b3559ffeaeb319d0cd91e245349c7d8.jpeg

4. press in to the floor with the left hand and use it to lift you up as you 

bring the arm that was under you to the ceiling then to all fours again.

5. right arm forward left leg back open  and extend

the left leg to your left side, and at the same time bring the right arm out to 

your right side  then bring them back front and back and bring

the right elbow to the left knee. And release the arm forward and leg back

then back to all fours.

593ef19f4c4e6_images(12).jpeg.3b3559ffeaeb319d0cd91e245349c7d8.jpeg

Go back to number 1 And  repeat this entire sequence on the left side (left 

arm forward and right arm back )

images (18).jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

This is nothing new. These are all just basic core exercises...

On 6/12/2017 at 10:59 PM, JCrane said:

powerful exercise series

Cmon :-D. Srsly...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alx said:

This is nothing new. These are all just basic core exercises...

Cmon :-D. Srsly...

they are not new to you, but believe me, for people especially men who do not exercise and do not know where to start, this basic routine is very new. I have also found the idea of slow controlled movement with gains over a longer period of time very foreign to many.Most want instant gains and that is why they lift weights. Thanks for your input

5 hours ago, JCrane said:

they are not new to you, but believe me, for people especially men who do not exercise and do not know where to start, this basic routine is very new. I have also found the idea of slow controlled movement with gains over a longer period of time very foreign to many.Most want instant gains and that is why they lift weights. Thanks for your input

Whole idea of working out is progressive overload its atleast very difficult with these exercises. The muscle needs contraction to develop. Static strength develops fast but peaks quickly.

What these can do is teach you to actively use the core but for developing ab strength they are lackluster.

On 6/16/2017 at 4:14 AM, Alx said:

Whole idea of working out is progressive overload its atleast very difficult with these exercises. The muscle needs contraction to develop. Static strength develops fast but peaks quickly.

What these can do is teach you to actively use the core but for developing ab strength they are lackluster.

I agree with you on your first statement but not on the second. Ab strength when used independently of the rest of the body is pretty much useless in my opinion. Real ab strength comes from dynamically connecting to the rest of the muscles. The progressive overload you talk about can be accomplished by slowing down the movement to almost slow motion and creating holds between as I point out. Many peope find this very hard to do because it causes a lot of discomfort.This should be done a little at a time as I point out. The reason I know this works is because I have used it on myself and many others over the last 10 years. This is the result of 20 years of experince in the field as well as 25 years of weightlifting.  I was going to include a video of a semi pro golfer I have worked with over the years but the adminstrator has told me I can not, so I respect that.

Now, am I saying this series is the only series one needs to do? No ! But  this is a great place to start conditioning the mucsles to this style of movement.  I designed this is for people who need a starting point,and It is my experience that  some people are unable to slow themselves down and want to go from 0-60 right away. That is part of our fast food get it now, exercise culture, where we throw arms and legs around with momentum and lack of control or use weights and teach the body to isolate, so I understant this is not for everyone. I am not here to promote, but instead to share

Thanks for your input.

7 hours ago, JCrane said:

I agree with you on your first statement but not on the second. Ab strength when used independently of the rest of the body is pretty much useless in my opinion. Real ab strength comes from dynamically connecting to the rest of the muscles. The progressive overload you talk about can be accomplished by slowing down the movement to almost slow motion and creating holds between as I point out. Many peope find this very hard to do because it causes a lot of discomfort.This should be done a little at a time as I point out. The reason I know this works is because I have used it on myself and many others over the last 10 years. This is the result of 20 years of experince in the field as well as 25 years of weightlifting.  I was going to include a video of a semi pro golfer I have worked with over the years but the adminstrator has told me I can not, so I respect that.

Now, am I saying this series is the only series one needs to do? No ! But  this is a great place to start conditioning the mucsles to this style of movement.  I designed this is for people who need a starting point,and It is my experience that  some people are unable to slow themselves down and want to go from 0-60 right away. That is part of our fast food get it now, exercise culture, where we throw arms and legs around with momentum and lack of control or use weights and teach the body to isolate, so I understant this is not for everyone. I am not here to promote, but instead to share

Thanks for your input.

With that much experience you should know that simply making an exercise longer is not progressive overload when trying to develop strength or muscle. If it was we would all be running marathons for our leg workouts. What it does teach is keeping things tight and lactic acid tolerance but still not very effective in the long run for building strength. A complete beginner would see gains doing this but that would just be from learning to use the core.

A lot of what you're suggesting has no resistance some a little. A few of those are purely mobility work. That just isnt the mechanic to build strength efficiently.

Independent ab work is not useless. Youre misunderstanding what its supposed to do. Isolated ab work is simply to build muscle. The same laws of hypertrophy that apply to biceps work with abs. Theyre not special. What youre describing is learning to use that mucle. One of the best ways being squats and deadlifts. Specific core stability work can be beneficial but its a bit more specialized.

my 20 years of weight training trained my body to isolate the muscles not train them to work together as a unit. The body works dynamically and training the body to work as a unit is essential if you want to do things like golf. That is where we got the term. Muscle bound. Big heavy tight muscles that lack flexibility  and are not connected to each other. I can always spot weight lifters in my class as they do not move their body as a unit because they have not trained it that way. Resistance training can be accomplished with ones own body. We do not need to overload the muscles with weights, especially for sports like golf. I know it creates a testosterone rush and that can be addictive, but it is much safer, especially for older bodies to do resistant training using their own body weight and progressing to more difficult exercises, at least in my opinion. The other benefits from this are the balance and mobility gains. Bringing one arm forward and opposite leg back will introduce the body to finding balance, similar to standing on one leg, the body is lazy and we need to challenge it by putting it in award positions so it can learn. Mobility is another part of this. Bringing the arm underneath to the shoulder helps release energy that is stored in the muscle. Over time exercises like this help create more mobility. Golf can be much more demanding on the body than most of us realize and what we do today can effect us in the future. With golf we tend to create more stress on one side of the body and doing exercises that create more balance can help prevent injury in the future.I do not expect everyone to grasp these concepts as they involve a less is more concept. Where I live near Green Bay Wi we sometimes work with some of the Green Bay Packers and they find backing off, listening to their bodies and breathing deeply a real challenge after all that peddle to the metal training and some of them do not get it, but others do. Aaron Rodgers is an advocate of this type of training,and does it on a regular basis, so it is just like everything else. There are believers and non. Do what works for you.That is what I say   Again thanks for your input 

Here is what Johnny Miller says

Johnny Miller on physical conditioning: "I call the Shots" Johnny Miller with Guy Yocom, 2004.

"One danger of the big muscle swing ,, is the enormous stress it places on your lower back. The sudden twisting and turning of the torso takes its toll... .... in the 1980s, when I took time off the tour and spent all the time around my ranch, I got very strong and put on twenty pounds of muscle. It killed my game.
The clubs felt like feathers. My chest was so big it affected my flexibility and ability to swing my arms on the proper swing plane..
I hadnt realized that golf is more a game of speed than raw strength.. From that time on, I knew that lifting weights would be the worst thing I could do.

The trouble with weights s that they put your body out of balance. When one part of the anatomy gets strong, it affects its relationship with another.It upsets your mechanics and timing. Its very difficult to build up every part of your body equally so you maintain that balance....."

1 hour ago, JCrane said:

my 20 years of weight training trained my body to isolate the muscles not train them to work together as a unit. The body works dynamically and training the body to work as a unit is essential if you want to do things like golf. That is where we got the term. Muscle bound. Big heavy tight muscles that lack flexibility  and are not connected to each other. I can always spot weight lifters in my class as they do not move their body as a unit because they have not trained it that way. Resistance training can be accomplished with ones own body. We do not need to overload the muscles with weights, especially for sports like golf. I know it creates a testosterone rush and that can be addictive, but it is much safer, especially for older bodies to do resistant training using their own body weight and progressing to more difficult exercises, at least in my opinion. The other benefits from this are the balance and mobility gains. Bringing one arm forward and opposite leg back will introduce the body to finding balance, similar to standing on one leg, the body is lazy and we need to challenge it by putting it in award positions so it can learn. Mobility is another part of this. Bringing the arm underneath to the shoulder helps release energy that is stored in the muscle. Over time exercises like this help create more mobility. Golf can be much more demanding on the body than most of us realize and what we do today can effect us in the future. With golf we tend to create more stress on one side of the body and doing exercises that create more balance can help prevent injury in the future.I do not expect everyone to grasp these concepts as they involve a less is more concept. Where I live near Green Bay Wi we sometimes work with some of the Green Bay Packers and they find backing off, listening to their bodies and breathing deeply a real challenge after all that peddle to the metal training and some of them do not get it, but others do. Aaron Rodgers is an advocate of this type of training,and does it on a regular basis, so it is just like everything else. There are believers and non. Do what works for you.That is what I say   Again thanks for your input 

I you use paragraphs, your post will be more readable. Otherwise, it is just a wall of words.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my 20 years of weight training trained my body to isolate the muscles not train them to work together as a unit. The body works dynamically and training the body to work as a unit is essential if you want to do things like golf. 

The term. Muscle bound.implies  big heavy tight muscles that lack flexibility and are not connected to each other and that is exactly how I felt. I can always spot weight lifters in my class as they do not move their body as a unit because they have not trained it that way.

Resistance training can be accomplished with ones own body. We do not need to overload the muscles with weights, especially for sports like golf. I know it creates a testosterone rush and that can be addictive, but it is much safer, especially for older bodies to do resistant training using their own body weight and progressing to more difficult exercises, at least in my opinion. 

The other benefits from this are the balance and mobility gains. Bringing one arm forward and opposite leg back will introduce the body to finding balance, similar to standing on one leg, The body is lazy and we need to challenge it by putting it in positions that encourage all the muscle fibers to fire, which creates strength. At first these positions feel very awkward and uncomfortable but our bodies adapt very quickly and soon we are feeling more in control.

Mobility is another part of this. Bringing the arm underneath to the shoulder helps release energy that is stored in the muscle. Over time exercises like this help create more mobility. This gives us a smoother swing with less trauma to the body than when muscles are tight. Over time we rid ourselves of that jarring effect on our muscles  when we swing the club

Golf can be much more demanding on the body than most of us realize and what we do today can effect us in the future. With golf we tend to create more stress on one side of the body and doing exercises that create more balance can help prevent injury in the future.

I do not expect everyone to grasp these concepts as they involve a less is more concept, which is a tough sell in our culture.  Where I live, near Green Bay Wi we sometimes work with some of the Green Bay Packers and they find backing off, listening to their bodies and breathing deeply a real challenge after all that peddle to the metal training and some of them do not get it, but others do.

. Aaron Rodgers is an advocate of this type of training,and does it on a regular basis, so it is just like everything else. There are believers and non. Do what works for you.That is what I say   Again thanks for your input 

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I you use paragraphs, your post will be more readable. Otherwise, it is just a wall of words.

Great idea !  I re posted it with paragraphs

thanks

• 2 months later...

should i do this at home then drive to golf course?

should i do this the night before i play or everyday?

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, RickPro said:

should i do this at home then drive to golf course?

should i do this the night before i play or everyday?

When you start out, as simple as these movements are, the muscles need time to adjust, so you may be a little sore the next day, so take that into consideration. Once the muscles adapt you will actually start to enjoy the movements and then they can be done whenever you want as long as they are done on a regular basis. Everyone s body is different so I can not tell you exactly what to do, but I would try doing them every other day. The results will come over time, so do not worry about exactly when to do them.  Remember do them very slowly with deep breathing. Hope this helps

18 hours ago, JCrane said:

When you start out, as simple as these movements are, the muscles need time to adjust, so you may be a little sore the next day, so take that into consideration. Once the muscles adapt you will actually start to enjoy the movements and then they can be done whenever you want as long as they are done on a regular basis. Everyone s body is different so I can not tell you exactly what to do, but I would try doing them every other day. The results will come over time, so do not worry about exactly when to do them.  Remember do them very slowly with deep breathing. Hope this helps

Liking it.  The first exercise is one of three I started doing daily after a back injury.  It's part of a series of actions that got me from barely being able to walk to getting fully back to the gym within a year.  That meets the 'powerful' definition in my book.

I'm developing a more golf-focused exercise routine for the fall/winter, and the other exercises listed will be going on my list to try.

Done the muscle-bound thing.  In my twenties I lifted weights just because I liked it.  The heavier the better, the more isolation the better  I can honestly say it was the period of my life were I was least fit and healthy.  Now I go for lighter weights, more reps and much more compound-type exercises where muscles have to work together to complete a task.  I'm much better for it.

Thanks for posting.

29 minutes ago, IrishAndy said:

Liking it.  The first exercise is one of three I started doing daily after a back injury.  It's part of a series of actions that got me from barely being able to walk to getting fully back to the gym within a year.  That meets the 'powerful' definition in my book.

I'm developing a more golf-focused exercise routine for the fall/winter, and the other exercises listed will be going on my list to try.

Done the muscle-bound thing.  In my twenties I lifted weights just because I liked it.  The heavier the better, the more isolation the better  I can honestly say it was the period of my life were I was least fit and healthy.  Now I go for lighter weights, more reps and much more compound-type exercises where muscles have to work together to complete a task.  I'm much better for it.

Thanks for posting.

you are what I call a believer. I hope your post inspires others

Here is one of my favorites : start by laying on your back with your legs bent and arms out to the sides away from your body. Now move the legs back and forth to loosen the back muscles.

Come back to center and place the left leg over the right leg and let the legs fall to your right. Keep the shoulders on the floor and take several deep breaths.

Now move the legs back to the center and place the right leg over the left and let the legs fall to your left. Keep the shoulders tight to the floor and take several deep breaths.

This is called twisted root. It is a supine twist that will help prepare your back muscles for the game of golf if you do it on a regular basis.

download (3).jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

This is very interesting, especially for us older golfers; thanks. Would the "twisted root" make the hips a little more flexible, in loosening the back muscles?

without a doubt twisted root will give you more rotation. Hang out on one side then the other. Take any effort out of it and Let gravity do the work. Start to move your gaze opposite the twist .Over time the back muscles will lengthen and create more room for the hips to rotate. I will be posting some more exercises this week.

Thanks for posting

Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!