IGNORED

My Swing (klineka)

klineka

• Administrator

I'd work on turning more and more steeply. You're not even to 90° and your shoulder pitch is a bit flat.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
16 hours ago, iacas said:

I'd work on turning more and more steeply. You're not even to 90° and your shoulder pitch is a bit flat.

Worked on steeper shoulders and turning more today in the DTL view, it looks like it made me really steep on the downswing, or is that ok? I was definitely hitting the ball solid with the steeper shoulders and a bigger turn, but I cant help but think that is making the shaft get way too steep on the way down.

Also, is the clubhead too far behind/inside my hands when it reaches parallel on the way back, or is it ok where it is?

For the face on view, I was doing a partial swing and really trying to get my body open, which I was able to do and I like how the impact position looks, but even after hitting 40+ balls doing that drill, every single one came out low or topped and I couldn't seem to make anything close to solid contact or get the ball airborne at all. I tried choking down, adding more right side bend, etc and nothing seemed to help. Any tips or is it just such a foreign position that I need to keep at it so I can relearn how to hit the ball with my body in that open position?

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

I wouldn't worry about the downswing stuff right now.

The shoulders could still be steeper. Just a tiny bit more left side bend. And while you're feeling that, work on feeling the hands go "up" more than "around." More green path, less red path.

01.jpg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

The shoulders could still be steeper. Just a tiny bit more left side bend. And while you're feeling that, work on feeling the hands go "up" more than "around." More green path, less red path.

01.jpg

I was looking at videos from a couple other swings that I didnt post earlier, is this swing better in terms of the hands being "up" instead of "around"? Or is that too high for the hands?

Screenshot_20190106-210556_Slow motion editor.jpg

@klineka sorry if you have covered this elsewhere, but did you see any distance increases with your superspeed training. I saw the number increases in swing speed, just didn’t know if you had a chance to take it to the course yet. 

10 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

@klineka sorry if you have covered this elsewhere, but did you see any distance increases with your superspeed training. I saw the number increases in swing speed, just didn’t know if you had a chance to take it to the course yet. 

I have not had a chance to test that out yet on the course. I have been doing the program since October 30th. I went on a golf trip to Pinehurst in mid November but I didnt really experience any big jumps in mph until after I got back from that trip and moved up from the 4 week "warm up" cycle and into the first 12 week block.

I will be visiting an indoor facility here soon that has Trackman and GCQuad so I will be able to at least get some launch monitor numbers and report back.

• Upvote 1

(edited)
On 1/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, iacas said:

Are these better with the hands, or is that too much? I also have a hard time getting the shoulders steep, it seems like my head follows my left shoulder, so to make my shoulders steeper my head dives down too. Any tips for that?

The swing looks awfully steep, but it didnt feel too bad when I was doing it.

Edited by klineka

• Administrator

Too much. 🙂

01.jpg

Plus it wasn't entirely as much about where the hands ended up, it was more about the path they took to get there. Look at the green lines and the red lines in my earlier picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to an indoor facility after work today mainly to look at my driver numbers and was pretty surprised. I had no idea what my angle of attack was, I know I used to hit down on the ball, but worked hard last summer/fall to start hitting up on it, and definitely seem to have nailed that. I was hitting up +4 on average of about 20 swings, and now it looks like I'll need a lower lofted driver as these numbers were with the 12 degree driver set as low lofted as it can go. 

I was happy with the clubhead speed at 108 on average, even had a couple reach 112 when I really went after it. 

Looking at my club path and face numbers, below is just an average, so the -0.4 club path is a bit misleading, I had a -1.0 path on most shots with a couple that were positive which skewed the average closer to 0. Same with the face angle, but they were a bit more severe and jumping around a bit more on both positive and negative.

Other than what I just mentioned I'm not quite sure what else to make of these numbers, I have more data from other shots I hit as well, but primarily concerned with my numbers on driver since I know now that it is no longer fit for my swing. Now that I know my AoA is +4 on average and none of them were negative, I'm thinking I will probably look for a 9 degree driver head in a 65g stiff shaft which is what I currently have.

@iacas I know you saw my flightscope numbers the other day with that demo driver, do you have any thoughts on any of the numbers below with my current driver? Obviously it is flying too high and with too much spin for my AoA.

club data.png

optimizer.png

Did the Trackman Combine tonight for the first time, I performed better than I expected overall. I had a couple really bad shots that went for 0 points that brought my overall score down.

120 yds was my worst yardage, with a 0 score and an 11 score. The yardage was in between my 50 degree wedge and my PW, I used the 50 degree the first 3 shots and the PW the second 3 shots and didnt hit either club with much confidence/conviction.

On the positive note, I had 8 shots that scored over 90, including two 100s, one from 90yds where I put it to 1 foot, and a 286 yd drive that ended up just 6 feet left of the center line.

I definitely have noticed an increase in ball striking and more neutral clubpath numbers when I feel the clubhead and my hands/arms going "out and up" during the takeaway instead of letting the clubhead get way inside my arm during my takeaway.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Haven't been able to get outside at all recently due to the weather, still trying to get my SuperSpeed training in when I can, but I did get new (used) irons.

Went with Taylormade P770 4-PW with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts

I love how these feel and I think this will be a perfect balance between a blade and a game improvement iron like my Nikes were. Hoping these will get rid of the random 220yd 6 irons or the random 190yd 8 irons and give me more consistent distances.

I got a great deal on these irons, and they are in mint condition, they look like they've never been hit before. 

Edited by klineka

I have been doing 9 to 3 swings in my basement hitting foam balls and have been making solid progress with both the hand path piece and the flat left wrist/flipping.

I do a mini rehearsal basically identical to what Justin Thomas does prior to his swing where he takes the club back to hip height, making sure it's not rotating too far to the inside. I dont have enough ceiling height to go all the way to the top of the backswing, so I just go as far as I can without hitting the ceiling.

I have also made some solid progress with the flat left wrist/flipping issue by practicing a few swings with a ball in between my forearms. When I do normal swings without the ball, the feeling I try for is to feel like both arms stay perfectly straight throughout the entire swing. I know that they dont actually stay straight, but feeling like they do helps keep my arm structure intact and a greatly improved left wrist at impact.

I'm going to keep doing "straight arm" reps inside and try to get to either hit some balls into my net or get to the range next week.

Feel like I made a little breakthrough last night with some feelings of my swing while doing some half swings with foam balls in my basement. I noticed on video a lot of the time I wasn't getting enough wrist hinge on the backswing, and the club was nowhere close to 90 degrees to my arm at P3 like I see nearly every pro player have. 

Working on getting to that position really helped with a number of things without me having to think about them including weight forward, and flat (or at least flatter) left wrist at impact. I noticed my low point control was a lot better too, on practice swings I was consistently brushing the carpet in the same spot every time. I know previously when I flipped my hands I struggled with low point control. 

Excited to take this to the range/hit outside into my net this weekend when it finally warms up a bit.

Screenshot_20190219-154011_Slow motion editor.jpg

Screenshot_20190219-154035_Slow motion editor.jpg

Edited by klineka

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, klineka said:

Screenshot_20190219-154011_Slow motion editor.jpg

Not loving the turning rates there.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not loving the turning rates there.

:doh: 

I might try to add a bit more turn, but think I'm probably going to hold off on trying to change much more until I visit you in Erie, and then I'm pretty sure I'll start back with Evolvr a bit after that now that my student loans are paid off. 

I made incredible progress the couple months I was with Evolvr in 2017.

Hit some balls today mainly just trying to get used to the feel and confidence with my new irons. Was hitting it flush when I was focused on the feeling of keeping my elbows together, but not really happy with how the swing looks on video.

Too steep with the left arm, not enough body rotation, meh. 

Excited to visit Erik up at Golf Evolution in a few weeks for my first in person lesson ever and then sign back up with evolvr after that.

Backswing piece looks better today, haven't been striking the ball well overall lately with the new irons, but I know its me and not the irons.

Too many swing thoughts and not a main priority piece at the moment has made me feel like I'm just going through motions instead of actually working towards improving. 

Not to alarm you, but it looks like someone vandalized your grill cover. :-P

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: