IGNORED

I can hear my Wedge Bounce

Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should I actually bounce my wedges? Let me explain. 

I have a 54*-10 and a 58*13 wedge. Both were bent from 52 and 56.

This is not the first time this has happened though, it used to happen before. 

But if i am at the range and I hit these clubs, more so with the 58, I sometimes here the bounce ground out just before I hear the impact to the ball. I am fairly happy with my wedge play, and I wouldn't really change it now, but is this normal?

The ball flight and distance is fine, but would you guys suggest I have too much bounce? Or Not enough?

I'm looking for new SM6 wedges, just because I want them, and I'll probably go to a Titleist fitting as well, but I thought I would throw this out there. 

Edited by Joeyvee

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

So you're hitting the ball fat? If you hear the sound before impact, that's more to do with your ballstriking than the bounce on your club.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, Joeyvee said:

But if i am at the range and I hit these clubs, more so with the 58, I sometimes here the bounce ground out just before I hear the impact to the ball. I am fairly happy with my wedge play, and I wouldn't really change it now, but is this normal?

For a full swing, you shouldn't hear this.
For a distance wedge type swing, you shouldn't hear this
For a pitching motion, it can happen, but you are purposely engaging the bounce to help for these situations.
For chipping, you shouldn't hear this.

Are you hitting off a mat?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yes, this is all off of the mat. I don't typically hit my wedges, or any irons, fat when I'm playing though. But I guess I may hit my wedges a little more steep than my irons.. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Well, I was originally going to congratulate the OP on his sense of hearing! Then, once I realized he was hitting off a mat, there is the bounce and then "the bounce"! Or maybe I should say "the skid" and then "the bounce"! Mats are horrible to practice on, but many of us in the North have no other alternative.

Get yourself to some real turf quickly, and learn to shallow your wedges!

Yeah, I think maybe i am coming in too steep with my wedges. Strange. i need to learn to shallow out my swing with all clubs, but deinitely with the wedges. Obviously. 

Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!