IGNORED

Need fairway club advice

ryns2
Note: This thread is 5952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had the same issue and filled the gap with a Callaway Big Bretha 3W (stock stiff shaft). Works great and the bigger head works good as short driver too (i.e. almost as large as the old drivers were).

Burner 9.5
Titleist 909F2 15.5
Titleist 909H 21
Callaway X20 4-AW
Vokey 56.10 60.04(SM)Odyssey TriForce 1

The question was "is it worth the extra $$$" to buy a R7.

I recommended the TM V Steel not because it is on clearance. Rather because of the playability. It just so happen to be selling for below $99. In my opinion....the V Steel is one of the finest fairway woods ever made. Easy to hit, can shape shots, easy to align, sits on the turf square, gets through all kinds of turf and lies, distance, control, you name it. I have borrowed a friends R7 and it didn't compare. Only other fairway wood that compares is the Callaway Steelhead....however you can't buy them new anymore.

I really like my v-steel 3 wood as well.
only if i have a consistant swing...

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I really like my v-steel 3 wood as well.

The question was "is it worth the extra $$$" to buy a R7.

i have to agree with you guys there, The V-steel is probably the best value for money fairway woods on the market.

Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

With an index of 36, I would suggest trying an 18* 5W, a lot easier to hit than a 3W and distance will still be quite good.

Totally agree. Get a 19* 5-wood, try something titanium with a graphite shaft if you want more distance. The 5-wood is MUCH easier to hit off a variety of lies than the 3-wood and may go as far due to better launch...

Driver: FT-5 Tour 8.5* neutral
3 wood: TEE CB1 15*
Irons (3-PW): Nike forged blades
SW: Sonartec T35 proto 54*
LW: Sonartec T35 proto 58*Putter: Yes! Tracey

If it were me I would try to find a demo event and try a 15* 3wood. See if it feels like you have as good a feel with it as compaired to your utility. The 15* would be a nice fit between the 10.5 driver and the 19* utility, about 4 degrees each way. Plus a 15* is a little eazyer to get in the air than a 13* or a 15* strong....bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

Since you guys value V-Steel so much, did you know that TaylorMade (Japan) is going to launch the new V-Steel in January 2008? Here's the source and video.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Totally agree. Get a 19* 5-wood, try something titanium with a graphite shaft if you want more distance. The 5-wood is MUCH easier to hit off a variety of lies than the 3-wood and may go as far due to better launch...

While a 5W is generally easier to hit with the higher loft...one benefit of carrying a 3W is the versatility for tee shots. If you are on a tight long par4, 5W generally won't give you enough of a first shot. Also many are now carrying hybrids in place of 5Ws for the distance gap and where the lie is less than perfect.

Also...the V-Steel 3W is a smaller head compared to many on the market...almost the same size many other 5W heads. That makes it pretty darn easy to hit off the turf. If buying the V-Steel..and at its current price at tgw.com...heck...I would buy both a 3W and 5W.

Also...the V-Steel 3W is a smaller head compared to many on the market...almost the same size many other 5W heads. That makes it pretty darn easy to hit off the turf.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will be heading to TGW in a few days to try out several 3 woods with 15* loft (their headquarters are in Wichita).

The one thing that I don't like about fairway woods is the smaller head size combined with the long shaft seems like a bad combination for a high handicap golfer (more mis hits). Where as a hybrid has the smaller head but a shorter shaft, but I guess the longer shaft on the FW will give you more distance than the hybrid of the same loft. So I will definitely try the TM V-Steel but I will also look at some FW with larger head sizes.

a while ago i read up someone put in a 3 wood shaft into a 5 wood head with pretty good result.
higher loft: easier to launch
longer shaft: more distance
seems to make sense

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

If you can hit a 3 wood get it...otherwise you might think about possible a 4 wood which is in between the 3 and 5 obviously and helps get the ball up a little bit more. I would get an adams fairway wood as well though.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

With an index of 36, I would suggest trying an 18* 5W, a lot easier to hit than a 3W and distance will still be quite good.

simply outstanding advice. agree completely. 5w is a good choice for exactly your reasons. i carry both a 3wd and 5wd. 3wd off the tee when driver wont work and the 5w as an attack club on short par 5s. i hit the 5 much higher and thus i can get it close to pins. all my eagles are nothing more than 5wds hit pure.

great advice!

driver 905r 9.5* v2 s
5wd 909f2 18.5* diamana blue s
hyb 585h 21* 4175 s 585h 24* 4175 s
irons mx23 5-pw rifle 6.0
vokey wedges 52.8 bent to 50/ spn mill 54.10 bent to 55 spn mill/ 60.8 oil can putter redwood anser 34" 2* flat ball pro v1 X red aim line and a red dot over the e in titleist.home...

Thanks for all the feedback, I will be heading to TGW in a few days to try out several 3 woods with 15* loft (their headquarters are in Wichita).

Smaller head fairway woods generally are easier. Think of the success you have with your Taylor Made Mid Hybrid....where it has a smaller head than many other hybrids. Easier to manage. Just like how many are better able to hit a 5W vs 3W...because the head is smaller.

Note: This thread is 5952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!