IGNORED

Adam Scott vs Sergio Garcia

AdamScottfan
Note: This thread is 6082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who is better?

• Adam Scott
    • Sergio Garcia

• Administrator
Who is better?

Sergio. By far. Unlike Adam Scott, Sergio has contended in majors. He's played brutally well in Ryder Cups. He's been around longer and he's been more consistent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sergio gets my vote. Is more consistent and handles the pressure better. Not saying that Scott won't be there eventually, but he has to put himself in contention more often.
Blog: www.moregolf4less.com

What's in my Bag

Driver: Titleist 983K3 wood: Mizuno1 Iron: Hogan Apex2-P: 1981 Titleist Tour ModelSW: Wilson Dynapower - 1971/72 RemakePutter: Hogan Bettinardi BB-12

Well, as of right now, I have to go with the proven guy. And that is Sergio Garcia.

I think they are equally talented, but like Erik said, Sergio has been close in the majors numerous times. And he dominates Ryder Cups. :/

That being said, I think Adam Scott will be the better player in two or three year's time. I think he will win a major before Sergio and win more majors overall than Sergio. I just think his game is built more solidly. His swing is amazing, and if he can get a little more tough around the greens, he could be the #1 player in the world eventually.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the pairings for the PGA Championship have Sergio and Scott with Mickelson. Some head to head action can only help this debate.

Plus, this is proof positive that PGA officials read The Sand Trap Forum.

• 3 weeks later...
Who is better?

Adam is far ahead of Sergio in capabilities, shot making, and ball striking. Sergio is vastly over rated due to his management being politically connected. I would put him in the 51-100 ranking area but certainly not in the to 50 as he really can't deliver in the big tournaments. This is my humble opinion so don't all the Sergio lovers jump me at the same time.

• Administrator
Adam is far ahead of Sergio in capabilities, shot making, and ball striking. Sergio is vastly over rated due to his management being politically connected. I would put him in the 51-100 ranking area but certainly not in the to 50 as he really can't deliver in the big tournaments. This is my humble opinion so don't all the Sergio lovers jump me at the same time.

That makes absolutely no sense. If Adam were so far ahead, his play would demonstrate it. As such, his play has not demonstrated it. He hasn't contented in a major, and his only victory this year came in a 36-hole event. Sergio has a victory and was on the leaderboard at the majors. Adam's 13th on the money list this year, and Sergio is 9th. Sergio's "management" has nothing to do with it.

Opinions are one thing, but outright lies or misrepresentation of fact is another. Please don't attempt to label the latter as the former.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That makes absolutely no sense. If Adam were so far ahead, his play would demonstrate it. As such, his play has not demonstrated it. He hasn't contented in a major, and his only victory this year came in a 36-hole event. Sergio has a victory and was on the leaderboard at the majors. Adam's 13th on the money list this year, and Sergio is 9th. Sergio's "management" has nothing to do with it.

Man, as the leader of the blog calling people liars is rather strong. People who know me know that I am neither a liar nor do I misrepresent fact. If you would read again what I wrote...I didn't mention money list (and why is this the only thing people ever point to?) only shotmaking ability, ball striking and overall capability Adam is stronger that Sergio. I have seen first hand. As to the management factor...there are a lot of players who are represented by IMG and, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Sony (world rankings) and IMG connected? Isn't an IMG client going to be in the top 50 in order to make limited field high money special events? This is what I was referring to.

I think you went off the deep end on my posting here. Why such a difference in Sony rank, Sagarin rank, and other polls with some players? There IS a lot of politics in the golf business and those who think there isn't are naive. There are always articles appearing by the major golf writers inquiring on player rankings. AGAIN...it is my opinion on level of game and I have seen both players first hand. Sergio has been on the tour a little longer. I believe Adam with a little more seasoning will get the major before Sergio since Sergio is not a closer. Adam has more shots in the bag although Sergio is a better wedge guy for now and this is where the scoring is. Sergio is a fine player but as I stated earlier he is overrated...anyway...excuse me for contributing earlier...I'll just read the posts from now on and not reply as being called a liar is just not cool.

• Administrator
Man, as the leader of the blog calling people liars is rather strong.

Not really. This is a discussion forum. If you're not here to discuss something - with facts - then you're welcome to just read.

As it is, I'm here to discuss things. Your little tirade against the "management" involvement in the world golf rankings and the fact that you seemed to completely ignore things like how the players have finished in tournaments is part of that discussion now.
People who know me know that I am neither a liar nor do I misrepresent fact. If you would read again what I wrote...I didn't mention money list (and why is this the only thing people ever point to?)

It's not the only thing. However, it's a good indication. Also good indications: average finishes, average finishes in majors, etc.

only shotmaking ability, ball striking and overall capability Adam is stronger that Sergio.

I don't think so. Sergio is a terrible putter, yet still manages to beat Adam on a regular basis (in any measurement). Based on fact alone and ignoring having seen the players in person (they're all impressive), I'll give the nod to Sergio any day of the week.

Put them in a Ryder Cup type competition, and Sergio is near unbeatable. How's Adam Scott's record in the President's Cup? Might be good, but I doubt it'll top Sergio's.
I have seen first hand. As to the management factor...there are a lot of players who are represented by IMG and, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Sony (world rankings) and IMG connected? Isn't an IMG client going to be in the top 50 in order to make limited field high money special events? This is what I was referring to.

IMG helped to start the World Golf Rankings, yes, but to assume that they're meddling in some way is preposterous. They have a formula, a mathematical formula, and everyone knows it. It applies evenly to everyone - nobody is given preferential treatment.

And I have no idea what Sony has to do with anything. Clearly you should do some investigating, man. C'mon... Obviously people are going to pick apart what you have to say if you're going to talk like this. Here you go, to get you started: http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/ .
I think you went off the deep end on my posting here.

I don't think so. First off, this is a discussion forum. People are here to debate. Secondly, we're adults here, and if you want to throw a tantrum because someone called you out on something, go ahead. Third, this is text. If you're incapable of reading a passage of text without inserting emotion that clearly isn't there (i.e. it's not like anyone wrote "YOU'RE A STUPID LIAR, DUDE! GARCIA ROXORS!!!"), then no doubt you'll have trouble participating on any forum, cuz plain text is all we've got.

Why such a difference in Sony rank, Sagarin rank, and other polls with some players?

There is no such thing as the Sony rank. Last I checked, the Sagarin rankings are used

mostly for (collegiate) amateurs and they're not based on the same points system. Naturally they're going to differ slightly. So, let's get back on topic and stop dilly-dallying with unrelated polls. BTW, http://www.golfweekrankings.com/sagarin/ for that. Oh, and the Sagarin rankings place Garcia well in front of Scott, also.
There IS a lot of politics in the golf business and those who think there isn't are naive.

Nobody ever said there wasn't. However, you can't inject a whole lot of bias into a ranking system as mundane and mathematical as things like: career finishes in majors, money list position, the OWGR, etc. They shake out in favor of Garcia, like it or not, and alleging that the mathematical formulas are biased by a management company is, again, outright falsity.

There are always articles appearing by the major golf writers inquiring on player rankings.

Not really. Some debate whether the OWGR works properly with the two-year rolling period it has (this was mostly only a factor when Tiger still had the #1 spot despite nine wins by Vijay Singh), but very few debate where a player falls on the list mathematically. It is what it is: simple math. Well, math anyway, perhaps not always so simple.

AGAIN...it is my opinion on level of game and I have seen both players first hand.

Your opinion here, with the overwhelming evidence that contradicts it, means very little. I doubt you've been on tour and watched both players play several rounds over the course of several years. And I doubt you've seen them as much as someone watching on TV has seen them. And hey, mathematical formulas, money lists, etc. "see" them every time they tee it up.

Sergio has been on the tour a little longer. I believe Adam with a little more seasoning will get the major before Sergio since Sergio is not a closer.

And that's a valid opinion. Welcome back to the land of non-exaggeration and silliness.

To that point, I say simply "maybe." But winning a major first obviously does not indicate that one player is overall better than another, or else this debate would be more like "Who is better: Rich Beem or Adam Scott." Get the point? Winning one major doesn't mean much. Winning three or more means something. Both of the kids have a long ways to go before the final verdict comes down. Right now, though, I'm sticking with my opinion - one that happens to bear out in the world rankings, money lists, etc. - that Garcia is a better player.
Adam has more shots in the bag although Sergio is a better wedge guy for now and this is where the scoring is.

Adam Scott is ranked ~100th in putting. Garcia is nearly dead last at 203. Yet Garcia has had more success this year. So clearly that's not true - Garcia must be a good all-around player if he can putt so much more poorly than Scott yet still play better.

Sergio is a fine player but as I stated earlier he is overrated...anyway...excuse me for contributing earlier...I'll just read the posts from now on and not reply as being called a liar is just not cool.

Testicles. Look down and see if you've got a pair, buddy. We welcome all discussion, but that doesn't mean we're gonna accept any kind of BS thrown out there. If you want politically correct "flower pals" of some kind, as I said before, good luck. Cuz ya won't find anywhere online that you can allege things as you've done and not be called out. In other words, lighten up.

Adam Scott
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

• 3 weeks later...
Adam Scott

hahah..totally agree aceadair!!

Did anyone see him win at the Singapore Open...came off a 3 wk break and scored a win over there..not the strongest field but still a pretty impressive win in the end dealing with the heat/humidity plus a tough course..in the end a 7 shot victory was exactly what he needed to get his confidence up!! now to the presidents cup :D

Check out Scott Online ^^
And join ASFF

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
hahah..totally agree aceadair!!

Everyone else in that weak field was dealing with the same conditions. Harsh conditions only further separate the cream from the crop, and in that field, Adam was the cream. The weaklings were the crop.

Sergio.

Best Iron ball striker today. He's unbelieveable with the 2 iron. So high, and so dang good.
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

hehe..totally agree iacas!!
adam's playing the singles tomorrow against furyk!!
geezz it'll be tight but i really hope he gets a point for the internationals!!
he's been putting really well these 3 days so far..i hope he continues!!
come onnnn...

Check out Scott Online ^^
And join ASFF

Yeah.

Jim Furyk is still the man to beat in the Singles. now he's 7-0-1.
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

• 3 months later...
Based on a few of the stats from last year, there doesn't look to be any contest for now.

Garcia/Scott:

GIR: 72% / 67%
Birds: 3.74 / 3.56
Putts: 1.827 / 1.79
Final Rd. Scoring: 71.44 / 72.29
Top 25 Finish: 65% / 42%

One caveat - they're both 25, which means they have a lot of untapped potential. So long term, whichever one has enough humility to continue grinding on their game will come out on top.

Cleveland Ti460 10.5*  |  Cleveland 17* Steel  |  Mizuno MP60  |  Nicklaus JN nickel plated - 52.10, 56.12, 60.09  |  Ping Anser 4
Play it like you found it.

Note: This thread is 6082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!