IGNORED

3 wood vs. 1 hybrid

Note: This thread is 5381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a 3 wood or a 1 hybrid?

• 3 wood
    • 1 hybrid

which do you prefer? why? how much distance do you lose with the hybrid (on well struck shots)? How do the trajectories compare? Which is more versatile?

Driver: r7 460 10.5*
3 Wood: Launcher Steel 15*
Hybrid: HALO 3i 22*
Irons: X-20 Tour 3-PW
Wedge: RAC Chrome 56*/12*Putter: White Steel 2-Ball Blade

I wondered the same thing a couple of months ago. I always had trouble with fairway woods, until I bought a 1hybrid. I bought the Callaway Fusion 1H and it was VERY difficult to get clean shots, given the lack of loft, small clubhead, and length of the shaft. I was unable to get consistent trajectory or distance out of it.

The 3 wood is the better choice. From my experience, the 3 wood has a higher trajectory

I actually carry both, most oftentimes in my bag. While some situations I may use one or the other, most situations lead me to choose one over the other.

I definitely agree, the 3 wood's trajectory is higher. But I will choose my 16* hybrid if a straight ball is a must and also if I'm not feeling comfortable with the 3W that day. I also tend to hit the hybrid better from the fairway (and rough) than the 3W. In general for me the hybrid is higher percentage, just not as long - even when flushed.

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

Lost Ball hits a 3-wood quite accurately thus choose that club

Never had a 1 hybrid and may when I get older but right now the 3-wood works well for me
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

I carry a 1 hybrid simply because its so much easier to hit of the fairway than a 3 wood. I have lost maybe 5 or 10 yards off the tee with it, but its worth it to be able to hit off the deck.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

3 wood the way to go. It is alot more forgiving in my book. Distance is the main factor when you are looking at these clubs. I am long off the tee so i use the 3 wood as a back up driver or on those tight holes. I tried a 1 hybrid for half a season and it was not as easy to hit as the 3 wood.
whats in my bag
Driver: Superquad 8.5 LOVE THIS CLUB
woods: R7 TP 3 wood
Hybrids: Burner 3
Irons: XD BurnersWedges:Vokey Spin Milled 56Putter: G5 ZINGBall:TP Black

As crazy as this may sound, I had the same question and came up with a solution that worked PERFECTLY for me. I am a 5 hdcp and I ALWAYS choked down on my 3 wood, so...

...I took my Taylormade Burner 3 wood and had the shaft CUT 1 and 1/4 inch. The pro at the shop cautioned me that the swingweight would change, but I said cut it anyway. The results were amazing. It plays and feels like a hybrid, but I gave up almost NO loss in distance and it is now the easiest club in my bag to hit!

May not be for everybody, but it SURE made a difference for me!

definitely sounds like an idea...how dos it play out of the rough compared to a hybrid?

Driver: r7 460 10.5*
3 Wood: Launcher Steel 15*
Hybrid: HALO 3i 22*
Irons: X-20 Tour 3-PW
Wedge: RAC Chrome 56*/12*Putter: White Steel 2-Ball Blade

For me 3 wood is the way to go. Me not consistent with a long hybrid club, 3 wood easier to launch on both fairway and tee, at least for me.
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

Hitting it out of the rough OR off a perfect lie in the fairway is a breeze. I used to carry a 22 degree hybrid that was real easy to hit, but my new "home-made" hybrid is soo much easier...and I really don't notice a distance loss!

I got a 17 degree hybrid a while back and just had too much trouble with it...I just couldn't hit it consistantly well. I think the one reason my new "home-made" hybrid works is that I have more control of the arc of my swing with the shorter club, yet I still feel comfortable with the mass of the head vs a smaller head on the hybrid...which I think I kind of tried to "help it along" because I didn't want to lose distance.

Speaking of the "arc of my swing" being easier to control, I can now take my "home-made" and simply by changing how far forward or back in my stance I position the ball, I can hit a low line-drive shot or I can hit a high soft floater that hits & holds a green.

• 2 months later...
not a big hybrid fan. i am afraid to try my buddies adams hybrids because i may like them too much. for me nothing feels better then hitting a crisp forged blade flush. warm and fuzzy!
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

I used to hit a 3 wood well but a couple of years ago, I started really struggling with it. I eventually bought a 16 degree hybrid, but I continued to fret that I might be able to get a few more yards with a 3 wood and, therefore, I have bought several 3 woods in hope of finding my blueberry hill. However, the 3 wood in my signature is out of my bag and the 16 degree hybrid is back in.

Also in terms of versatility, at least for me, the hybrid wins hands down. I can use it to hit a low burner, I can hook or draw it at will, I can chip with it and it is easier to hit out of the rough than a 3 wood. I don't know why I still care about a damn 3 wood, I really get what I need out of the hybrid; perhaps I just enjoy the drama of the struggle to decide which to play.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I use 3 wood and replaced my 5 wood with a hybrid. I don't use 3 wood in the rough though.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I play with a 17* 4 wood and a 21* Hybrid. If I have a nice lie with much distance, I play the 4 wood. If I have a shorter distance or a less desirable lie, I play the hybrid where I can appreciate its properties in either situation.

• 5 weeks later...
For me, no question I keep the 3 wood in my bag. I use a 17* hybrid instead of a 5-wood though.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I'd say that a 3 wood is a better choice, because of the extended clubface and lower cg. It will get the ball up higher and go quite a bit longer. They will also be more forgiving on miss-hits. However, I'd imagine that the hybrid will get you more workability. I myself am considering a 2 hybrid instead of a 5 wood. The five wood is a bit to lanky and can get out of control. I want something more compact that I can control easily.

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

I play with a 17* 4 wood and a 21* Hybrid. If I have a nice lie with much distance, I play the 4 wood. If I have a shorter distance or a less desirable lie, I play the hybrid where I can appreciate its properties in either situation.

Me too!!!

Both off the tee and the fairway...

Hibore XLS 10.5º Yellow Reg
909F3 13º Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Reg
Big Bertha 17º Reg
585.H 21º Graphite 4175 Reg
804.OS 4-9 Graphite 3975 Reg Vokey Spin Milled 48.06 54.14 60.10 Tess G2 35" ProV1XHome course: Ria de Vigo Golf Vigo (SPAIN)

Note: This thread is 5381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!