IGNORED

Chipping from Rough vs Fairway

sirsteveo55
Note: This thread is 2396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am extremely comfortable chipping from the rough compared to the fairway. I am not exactly sure why, and I know I need to get some lessons. (I plan on getting some in the spring since its already so late in year up here in PA.) In my approach I would much rather put it left, right, or far then to leave it short. I feel this way because its a lot easier to get the ball up and down sitting right were you want it. I am talking from within 40 yards. When in the fairway I have distance control problems within 40 yards. I feel its because of the inconsistency of the launch angle. If I hit it to hard the angle is to low and I launch over the green and if I hit it to soft the angle is to high and just comes up short.  I just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way or if this was typical for a high handicapper to like the rough from within 40 yards?

My approach to the short game is to know my distance based on how far back I take the club. So I practice this with my 56 degree wedge, pitching wedge and 9 or 8 iron with a 1/4 and 1/2 backswing, sometimes a little more or less,  maintaining the club face toward the target after impact.  I feel very confident with regards to distance control so my focus is on making good contact with the ball. 

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

What club do you use when in the fairway from 40 yards out? The bounce might have something to do with it. I have a4 or 5 different clubs I can use from 40 yds depending on how tight the fairway is mowed, how firm/soft the course is, how flat the green is, etc. Anywhere from a 60 degree wedge to a 7 iron. Experiment with different clubs and see if that helps.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the fairway is closely cut, you may be having trouble with a tight lie, not much cushioning under the ball. You may be alternating between thin shots (goes too long) and too much right hand (short shots from not enough follow-through).

For these shots from the fairway (and all chip shots), focus on the landing point you want hit on the way to the cup, not the cup itself.

Also, take a look at @iacas's Quickie Pitching Video. The technique can be used for chip shots also.

As others have asked, what chipping club do you use from the fairway? from the rough?

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator

You probably just like the "cushion" under the ball from the rough that isn't there from the fairway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wedges are the bane of my existence. I have better luck taking a gentle swing with a five or seven iron out of the rough or certain hazards.

Like  WuTiger said, hit to a spot, not the goal/

Edited by satchmodog

@sirsteveo55,

As a suggestion, work on chip shots with the 7i and the 8i. See which one gives you the most confidence.

Also, if the fairway cut leading onto the green is smooth, consider using a putter. (This will not work if you have a clump of crab grass directly in your line to the cup, or if you have to run it through moonscape fringe in late summer.) Some people like off-green putting, others don't.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

17 hours ago, WUTiger said:

As others have asked, what chipping club do you use from the fairway? from the rough?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:19 PM, klineka said:

What club do you use when in the fairway from 40 yards out? 

To the front edge at 40 yards I would use a 56 in the fairway and the rough. If its in the rough I will give it a 3/4 full swing and give it good enough height to stop it where it lands. That is a shot I am very comfortable with. If I am in the fairway I will use a 56 but its hard for me to consistently get the ball up and down. I will top some, hit some fat, very inconsistent. From the rough I am consistent that's why I like being in there more. 

Anymore than 50 yards I will hit a 52 from rough and fairway.

Edited by sirsteveo55

I would agree with klineka that the bounce makes a big difference. If there is a cushion of grass under your ball in the rough, holding it off the ground, you will need a higher bounce than from a tight fairway lie. Using the same club for both could be difficult. I carry a 60 degree lob wedge with a bounce of 4 and a 56 degree wedge with 11. if I have to hit a high ball over a bunker to reach the green, I choose the club whose bounce is most appropriate for the lie.

If I am 40 yards off the green and there is nothing in the way, I will typically play a chip and run with a 7 or 8 iron, concentrating on where I want the ball to land (as stressed in many of the replies) and the contours of the green. However, I have a similar preference to yours: for any iron shot, I often find it easier to hit off the first cut than the fairway itself.

Note: This thread is 2396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!