IGNORED

Re-Chroming Irons

Note: This thread is 2389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello - new member here and this is my first post. I'll probably have a few things to say in the future as I've been shopping for irons for the past several weeks and have been getting aggravated at what I'm seeing from the manufacturers, but that will be for another post (or maybe a rant.)

So for now, does anyone have experience getting one or more of their old irons re-chromed and if so, can you recommend a company? I've had my old, old set (from 1979 I think) of Wilson Staff FG17 Tour Blade irons sitting in a storage box in my basement since '01 which is when I got my Callaway X-14's. I just dug them out and noticed on two of them that the chrome has flaked off in sections. It would only be for esthetic reasons as I'm not going to be playing them but I might want to sell them or trade them in at some point.

I suspect the cost of the re-chroming will probably cost more than the set is worth, but still, I might want to get it done just because they're all so pretty!

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

For rechroming, check out this Service and Repair node in the The GolfWorks site.  It costs $6 to remove the head from the shaft, and then $20 to $60 a head depending on what you want done to it.

Get them rechromed, and find a persimmon headed Wilson Staff driver and 3W with a period bag, and you'd have a nice time-capsule display set. I did this with my McGregor MTs from the 1970s.

Edited by WUTiger
Add "time capsule" para.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/14/2017 at 11:29 AM, WUTiger said:

find a persimmon headed Wilson Staff driver and 3W with a period bag, and you'd have a nice time-capsule display set. I did this with my McGregor MTs from the 1970s.

Nice!!!  I did that with a set of Pings.  Found an Old leather Ping bag from the 80's, added in a whole set of steel eye 2's (2 - SW), found a 1,3 & 5 eye 2 woods and then after tons of searching, found an eye 2 putter.  A complete era correct eye 2 set!  Hangs on the wall in my golf room.  Took it out once to play and had some old school fun that day.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I’ve redone a few sets I send them to Jim Kronus at the iron factory he does a great job and he does a hard chrome that is much more durable than the stock chrome most clubs come with these days. Below is a pic of a set of mizuno I got done

FB076DF1-13B3-4D8D-BF34-EB91976B19DD.png

6 hours ago, OB1 said:

I’ve redone a few sets I send them to Jim Kronus at the iron factory he does a great job and he does a hard chrome that is much more durable than the stock chrome most clubs come with these days. Below is a pic of a set of mizuno I got done

FB076DF1-13B3-4D8D-BF34-EB91976B19DD.png

My only problem with Kronus in the past involved allegedly dumping hazardous waste from his shop when he was near or in San Diego - probably over 10 yrs ago - it was in 2005.

ESCONDIDO —— A city report issued Tuesday blames an Escondido refinisher of golf clubs for a breakdown in the city's sewage treatment plant last year that could cost Escondido nearly $1.2 million in water quality fines.

The report provides evidence to back city officials' contention that, starting in April 2004, a previously unidentified person or business dumped toxins into Escondido's sewer system, killing bacteria that help the city's Hale Avenue treatment plant process sewage. For weeks, neighbors noticed a foul stench from wastewater, which is sent by pipe to the ocean off Encinitas.

James Kronus of Valley Center, owner of the Iron Factory at 639 Aero Way in Escondido, pleaded not guilty Monday in federal court to charges of unlawfully discharging pollutants.

According to an indictment issued Friday, Kronus allegedly caused a concrete seal between the Iron Factory and the city's sewer system to be breached last year, allowing discharge of industrial waste into the sewer.

Kronus' attorney, Matt Winter of Federal Defenders in San Diego, declined to answer questions. "Mr. Kronus and I look forward to fighting the charges in court," Winter wrote in an e-mail to the North County Times.

If found guilty, Kronus faces a minimum fine of $5,000 and a maximum fine of $50,000 and/or three years in prison.

The city's report is in response to nearly $1.2 million inpending fines levied by the San Diego Regional Water QualityControl Board in December for violations that occurred from Mayuntil August 2004. The water board has postponed a hearing on theviolations and fines until an investigation is completed by thefederal Environmental Protection Agency.

According to the regional water board, Escondido's wastewater exceeded federal and state standards for suspended solids and bacterial content in those months. Water board officials have said they could lower the fine if Escondido can show that the breakdown was caused by a third party.

"Basically, we'll evaluate the city's response and, in a month or so, we'll issue a new complaint," said Mark Alpert, the board's enforcement coordinator, after receiving the city's report.

According to the report, city inspectors on Aug. 24, 2004, discovered a hole punched in the wall of the Iron Factory, creating a direct access to the sewer. The city immediately reported the illegal connection to the federal Environmental Protection Agency.

Kronus told EPA investigators that "there had been approximately five gallons of chrome plating waste and an unknown amount of caustic solution discharged through the illegal connection several months before," according to the city's report.

Metal-plating operations use such toxic chemicals as cyanide, chromium, caustic acids and industrial solvents.

Although city inspectors can infer what was allegedly discharged into the sewer system by examining records of deliveries of chemicals to the Iron Factory, it is "not possible to know exactly what toxic constituents caused the initial upset," the report said.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

WOW didn’t know that I actually work for a wastewater agency and we spend a lot for money on enforcement sampling sewers outside business to track down problems, so please don’t dump in the sewers not only are you causing problems to the environment over time you’ll increase your sewage fees

1 hour ago, OB1 said:

WOW didn’t know that I actually work for a wastewater agency and we spend a lot for money on enforcement sampling sewers outside business to track down problems, so please don’t dump in the sewers not only are you causing problems to the environment over time you’ll increase your sewage fees

Tell that to Kronus. Hopefully, he learned his lesson.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!