IGNORED

Help with 2 iron shaft

Note: This thread is 2332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, I was hoping I could get some help.

I just upgraded my irons to the new Titleists (have AP3s in low end of the bag and AP1s in the top end).  I was fit for these and the Project X LZ shaft (5.5/115) was recommended.  I absolutely LOVE this shaft... has a great snap at then bottom of my swing... really feel like I hit is much more crisply and take a great divot in front of the ball.  

I play a 2-iron (Titleist MB) a lot as my home course is short but very tight so I play it off the tee a lot.  I currently have a Dynamic Gold S-300 in this club.  I tried to find the PX LZ shaft to fit my 2-iron but Project X does not make this in the LZ model (they do make one for the rifle shafts).  Any ideas?  Could I use a 3 iron shaft if it was extended a bit... would I have to modify the tip if I tried to put a 3-iron shaft in a 2-iron?

Any help would be appreciated.

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

TaylorMade RocketBladez 4I-AW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Bridgestone B330

25 minutes ago, brettfan said:

I tried to find the PX LZ shaft to fit my 2-iron but Project X does not make this in the LZ model (they do make one for the rifle shafts).

I don't understand what you mean by this. Can't you just get an uncut shaft and have it trimmed to spec?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I don't understand what you mean by this. Can't you just get an uncut shaft and have it trimmed to spec?

I don't know.  I really don't know too much about the fitting process... I just looked online for a two-iron shaft and didn't see one.  Not sure what and uncut shaft really even is.  Thanks for the reply.

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

Bridgestone B330

Just now, brettfan said:

I don't know.  I really don't know too much about the fitting process... I just looked online for a two-iron shaft and didn't see one.  Not sure what and uncut shaft really even is.  Thanks for the reply.

All shafts are made to a generic length and then cut to fit whatever purpose is needed. Project X doesn't make the LZ in a 3, 4, 5, etc., they make one LZ shaft that club builders and factories trim down to use for putting together sets.

The reason you're finding the Project X LZ on the internet as a 3I shaft, 4I, etc., is because they're likely shaft pulls, which means they were pulled out of an existing 3I head so they are already trimmed to 3I length. It's likely you're not finding a 2I shaft due to the fact that many people don't play a 2I at all, and of those people who do, the percentage of people who pulled the exact shaft you're looking for and are trying to sell it is very small.

If you really want that shaft for your 2I, just go to a clubfitter or shop and they should be able to order the shaft for you and build it to your spec.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Wow, that was super helpful.  Thanks so much for the insight.  You earned 5 internet points today.  :-)

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

Bridgestone B330

• 1 month later...

The other option to consider is to just leave it as is.  

If it works for you as predominantly a driving iron, as it is, I don't necessarily know that you're gaining anything by the change...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!