IGNORED

Daly's Bag - after dumping Maxfli

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 01.19.08 issue of Golfweek reports Daly no longer has a "deal" with Maxfli and his bag consists of:

Driver & 3-wood
irons
wedges
ball
putter

Looks like a positive step (dumping Maxfli and going with first line equipment) if Long John expects to be competetive on the Tour again.

It's definitely not the clubs in John's case...and I think that he was dumped by Maxfli not the other way around (I don't know for sure). He is in no position to be turning down sponsor's deals. He used to play and has won using Dunlop and I am sure if they offered him a deal he would have a new bag tomorrow.

The bigger story is his seeking out Butch Harmon to work on his swing. If he can get his swing right, get in shape and start being a role model the sponsors would be there. I hope that he can get his act together, but he has to start with the space between his ears.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I hope he gets help and does get back to playing well, but if that is not where his heart is then he needs to take a break.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

That is a huge change for the better for him. Wasn't he using a taylormade driver for while now?

Driver- R7 460 - Stiff Aldila "by you" shaft
3 wood- Exotics - Stiff V2 shaft
Hybrid- Exotics 21*- Stiff Aldila Green 85 gram
Irons- X Forged - Stiff Project X
Wedges- CG12 Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter- Rossa Daytona 1 AGSIBalls- TP Black

It's definitely not the clubs in John's case...and I think that he was dumped by Maxfli not the other way around (I don't know for sure). He is in no position to be turning down sponsor's deals. He used to play and has won using Dunlop and I am sure if they offered him a deal he would have a new bag tomorrow.

He may well have dumped them for continually sending him the wrong balls. At one of the tournaments last year he was complaining and allegedly even called them during the tournament to ask why they kept sending those. I'd hate to be the guy who had to field the call.

The bigger story is his seeking out Butch Harmon to work on his swing. If he can get his swing right, get in shape and start being a role model the sponsors would be there. I hope that he can get his act together, but he has to start with the space between his ears.

Harmon's also looking at the mind of Daly, certainly. And maybe Butch'll be the one to get him to work out (although he is in reasonably good shape for someone his size).

And isn't Harmon sponsored by Titleist? If so, that may be why Daly chose them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Daly was using Taylor Made clubs while sponsored by Maxlfi as Maxfli is owned by Taylor Made! Does anyone remember the episode of Daly Planet where he went to get clubs from the TM factory! It was like every golfers dream!
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

I like John, I think everyone does, but does anyone think he'll ever come back?

Founder,
The Sand Trap Tour
Central NC's affordable amateur tour

But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point. ~Payne Stewart

I like John, I think everyone does, but does anyone think he'll ever come back?

Maybe, my head says no, but I hold out hope. Just maybe Harmon can get him on track... of course now it looks like he may be hurt again for a little bit at least. He WD on Saturday from the Bob Hope.

hey mitchalo... looked at the link to your tour... interesting... I'm relocating to Charlotte, but that might be just a hair to far to drive each weekend, but who knows.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I cant keep up with JD these days.

Being from Arkansas, believe me, I try, but everytime I see the guy he is wearing a new logo.

He has burned a few bridges in his day, I hope he gets down to business, rebuilds a few of them, and gets his head and his heart as close to 100% into the game as he can.

I have heard it from Tiger's mouth more than once that when JD has his stuff together, there are few that can keep up with him.

Lets hope Butch can help uncover some of that and get him back on track.

In the bag:
Driver: R7 Quad
Irons: Eye 2 + (Red Dot)
Wedges: Vokey (52, 56, 60)Putter: Anser G2iBalls: (Pro V1, NXT, DT Solo, Whatever is handy)

In Rick Reilly's book Who'd Your Caddy? he mentions Daly using Titleist clubs that he'd purchased. So there's precedent for it anyway; could be as simple as JD liking those clubs.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

i thinks he is going with adams
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

Note: This thread is 5959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!