IGNORED

Driver Delemma

dagolfer
Note: This thread is 5946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you haven't read any of my other threads i have a driver that i cannot hit. It came in my set that i bought 2 years ago. I have consistently had a slice with it. I have worked with it at the range and i haven't been able to figure it out. My ball position is practically in line with my left foot and i have tried just about everything to work it out. What do you think i could be doing wrong. Please help

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

you could have a grip problem, when you grip your club break your wrists so that the club is perpendicular to your waist and if your right hands thumb and index finger are pointed at your right shoulder then your grip is correct.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Try a weaker grip, you'd be surprised how much better your swing will be different. Also, try slowing your swing down, with a nice tempo, the swing has a better chance of staying on plane and having a square face at impact. Straight back, and follow the same path through the ball. Also, the take away should mimick the club's path before impact. Low and slow is the key to this.

909D3 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 7 Lime Green Exotics cb2 15 Aldila DVS S-85 Slingshot 17° UST Irod S-110g G10 21° TFC S-129g i10 S300 Green Dot 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 56° and 60° Made for the Tour AOP Newport PP

Age 16

Home CoursesRoyal Hawk...

Learning to hook it will help you understand what's going on. You'll just have to find a happy medium once you can do it. Take the club back low and straight for the first 3 feet, make a nice turn, try to go at about 70% speed and turn your right forearm over your left at impact (assuming your a righty).

Three suggestions, in order of my preference. Would not recommend all three at once unless you want to snap hook it around a dogleg!

#1 grip the club very lightly

#2 take a stronger grip (2 to 3 knuckles showing on left hand

#3 play ball off the middle of front foot, will lead to square or slightly closed face at contact, further the ball is played back by theory the clubhead is more open when striking it.

#4 set up for a draw with stance (back foot 3 to 6 inches behind front foot on a line to the target if both feet were straight in line with the target)

If this fails hit a 5 iron, keep it in play, probably score just as well if not better.

good luck

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Hello there. You are doing the classic mistake of swinging off your back foot with the ball way to far forward. Set the club up with your hands even with your zipper(the golf ball will then be even with your left heal) now what ever you do get to your left side. If you ever played baseball it's like stepping into the pitch, you have to finsh on your left foot which meens you turned through the shot. Go slow at first and get the feel of getting to your left side as you start your down swing. You should do this on every shot in your bag....Good Luck, bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

Learn to hook it and then bring it back to either a fade or a draw.

just a little hint, if you are warming up before you start to play and your driver are just slices. Be smart and dont correct them on the course, aim the left rough and hit the slice.

Also, starter set drivers are real garbage, get a new driver. Cobra has cheap GOOD driver at 200

Driver:10 degree HS9 F speed Stock Regular
FW: 15 degree sasquatch stiff
906F4 18.5 V2 proforce stiff
Hybrid: 21 585H V2 Proforce stiff
Irons: Cobra Fp 4-PW Nippon StiffWedges: CG12 56 degree Wedge Flex Putter: Rossa agsi+ Daytona 1 35"

change your driver...

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

It seems to me there are two things that cause a slice. Fix one and/or both of these, and the slice disappears. Here they are:
1. the clubface is open at impact -- this results in a "push"
2. the swing path comes from an outside-to-in path, imparting clockwise spin on the ball -- this results in a ball flight that starts straight or slightly to the left and finishes several hundred yards to the right (or the left if you're a lefty) of where you intended

One or a combination of both these factors contribute to the slice, and your frustration I imagine.

The easiest ways to "fix" these problems is to find an instructor that knows his/her stuff. He/she can explain exactly what is happening in your swing (i.e. setup, grip, etc.).

The cheaper, longer way is to work on drills you find on your own. In my opinion, these are the two best:

Assuming you are a righty:
1. to ensure a square clubface at impact, focus on the back of the left hand. Specifically, the back of the left hand (the area where the label on your glove is located) mirrors your clubface. Focus on keeping the left hand and wrist "flat" throughout the swing. Start with tiny swings (e.g. chips) and really learn how to "feel" the hand and wrist coming through the ball square.

Note: This drill only works if you're using a neutral grip. This type of grip is the best in my opinion. Your your grip is weak or strong, the club face will be open or closed at address, and open or closed at impact, respectively.

2. An over-the-top swing path can be one of the most frustrating part of the swing to correct. Many players fight this problem their whole lives, with much frustration and angst.

Here's how I "fixed" my swing plane:

1. Go all the way to the top of the backswing, and stop. Observe. Is the shaft pointing at the target, or is it pointing to the right. Slicers are often point the shaft to the right. This makes an over the top downswing very likely.
On the backswing, focus on pointing the club slightly to the left. This is referred to "laying off", and it increases the chance of an inside to out swing path.
Next, drop your hands straight down, very close to your right pocket. Dropping your hands "down" or "inside" will feel a little strange at first, but work at it. After dropping the hands (remember to keep the club "laid off"), go ahead and swing through the ball. In the beginning, you may hit hooks and draws instead of straight, but keep working.
In sum,
1. Focus on keep the left hand/wrist flat through impact.
2. Focus on keeping the club "laid off" at the top of the backswing.
3. Focus on "dropping the hands" straight down to the right pocket.
4. Swing through at about half speed and watch the results.
If the ball hooks to the left, you dropped your hands too much or laid the club off too much.

Hope this helps! Let me know...

If you haven't read any of my other threads i have a driver that i cannot hit. It came in my set that i bought 2 years ago. I have consistently had a slice with it. I have worked with it at the range and i haven't been able to figure it out. My ball position is practically in line with my left foot and i have tried just about everything to work it out. What do you think i could be doing wrong. Please help

Grip, loft, shaft flex, ball. Check these four - all four.

Are you squeezing the life out of it? Grip it lightly. Gripping it tightly will tense up the muscles that need to be loose to hit a free-flowing shot. Loft... I see way too many people of our levels using lofts lower than many tour winners use. What's the loft on yours? Similarly, I bet the shaft is S-flex. That's going to send the ball right unless you're swinging fast enough to take advantage of it. If you consider another driver, try the Cobra F-Speed 10.5, R-Flex, mid kick point. Yes, it's the one I'm using, so I'm a bit biased towards it. R-Flex is (probably) what you should be using unless you're a much faster swinger than I suspect. And 10.5 degrees of loft will eliminate the side spin that gives you that slice. Finally, consider a low spin ball. What balls are you using?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know but all my problems start with getting quick!!!!

I pick a spot about 6 inches ahead of the ball (toward the target) and make sure I stay committed through that area. I have to see the clubhead 'blur' past that point. This way I know I stayed in the swing until the ball is gone.

I literally do not look at the ball after the initial address.

It makes me go through the hitting area. I used to be a bit wayward off the tee and hit it about 250 yards. I'm much more accurate now and average about 275 yards nowadays.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

There are two basic things that could cause a slice, either an incorrect swing path (outside to in) or an open face at impact (or both). I would be interested to know if your slice starts straight then goes right or if it starts right then goes more right or some other path. There are so many things that you could try to correct a slice but it makes the most sense to first try to figure out what fault is causing your particular problem. Observing the ball flight can get you on the right track to diagnosing the dreaded slice.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

Note: This thread is 5946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!