IGNORED

My Swing (HozzleRocket)

HozzleRocket
Note: This thread is 2318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 18 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 15.3
My typical ball flight is: high draw/hook or high block
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hitting ground before ball, coming up short

Videos: 

As a bit of background, I have been working on my swing for a couple of years now and have gone from having a big slice all the way past straight shots (which lasted about a month) to hooking.  I then contracted the shanks about a year ago and had to take some time off but this is me back working on it again.

I am a boring 15 handicap golfer in that I generally never birdie, hardly blow up, par a few times and then bogey a lot.  My typical hole is drive slightly erratic but usually ok (can go left or right), missing GIR even when in good position off tee, getting it on next shot and then 2 putt.  I am quite confident from 100 yards in but I would say my worst shots are 100-200 yards - I barely ever hit nGIR never mind near the pin.

I had a lesson not long ago and have been working on my hip turn.  I had previously been sliding the hips rather than turning and my shot was nearly always starting right and moving further right.  Now, since my lesson, I am hooking/drawing the ball a lot more often with a bit more distance than before.  I still feel as though I am hitting the ground before the ball on most shots at the range and would really like to find a drill to decrease dynamic loft - I would say my 7 iron carry is about 140 with an 80mph swing speed.

From the videos, I notice that my head rises just before impact - is this ok?  Not something I notice when swinging. 

Great screen name!  

I have you here at the top of your backswing, which is not too bad, and about half way down prior to impact.  Your swing has a fairly classic over the top move in transition coupled with an early release of the wrist angle.  This is quite common for golfers who over use the hands and set the wrists too early during the backswing.

5a0b19dc34e15_hzscreenshot1.png.cea8470ec1d9bd8aae7c74b095be8832.png

On this left image of Rory I try to show him at a similar point in the backswing as you are and illustrate the difference in wrist set using the red line for his shaft and the yellow line to estimate yours.  

You can also see in the right image of Rory the difference between your shaft angle on approach and his.  Most great ball strikers have a shaft angle pointed just outside the ball at this point.  You can see that yours is just inside.

I would recommend reducing the wrist cock in your backswing and trying to feel as though the shaft flattens or lays down in transition as opposed to steepening.  Reducing the backswing hand action should make this easier.

5a0b1adb7df55_hzrorycompare.thumb.png.bbcbc756c834f9b15579cf1037968986.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

On 11/15/2017 at 12:40 AM, jk3a said:

Great screen name!  

I have you here at the top of your backswing, which is not too bad, and about half way down prior to impact.  Your swing has a fairly classic over the top move in transition coupled with an early release of the wrist angle.  This is quite common for golfers who over use the hands and set the wrists too early during the backswing.

5a0b19dc34e15_hzscreenshot1.png.cea8470ec1d9bd8aae7c74b095be8832.png

On this left image of Rory I try to show him at a similar point in the backswing as you are and illustrate the difference in wrist set using the red line for his shaft and the yellow line to estimate yours.  

You can also see in the right image of Rory the difference between your shaft angle on approach and his.  Most great ball strikers have a shaft angle pointed just outside the ball at this point.  You can see that yours is just inside.

I would recommend reducing the wrist cock in your backswing and trying to feel as though the shaft flattens or lays down in transition as opposed to steepening.  Reducing the backswing hand action should make this easier.

5a0b1adb7df55_hzrorycompare.thumb.png.bbcbc756c834f9b15579cf1037968986.png

Think the screen name has come back to haunt me...

Tried to flatten the shaft tonight at the range but after a few really nice strikes I ended up, firstly, grounding the club a lot and then, eventually, full on hozzle rockets off to the right.

Didn't get videos unfortunately but I think I shallowed the swing so much that it became very in-to-out and pushed the hozzle towards the ball.  I felt my left arm was a lot flatter at the top of my backswing rather than pointing down towards the ball. Hopefully this makes sense...

Do you, or anyone else, have any feelings to work on for shallowing the shaft without the swing becoming too much from the inside?  The shanks have scared the life out of me!

1 hour ago, HozzleRocket said:

Tried to flatten the shaft tonight at the range but after a few really nice strikes I ended up, firstly, grounding the club a lot and then, eventually, full on hozzle rockets off to the right.

At what speed did you attempt the flattening of the shaft? Full speed, 50%, 10%?

Great thread here about how to make a change.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

At what speed did you attempt the flattening of the shaft? Full speed, 50%, 10%?

Great thread here about how to make a change.

Cheers. I tried to incorporate it into a full swing which, thinking about it, was quite stupid.   

Will give that thread a read

Also try to get video of yourself attempting the change to verify your feels verses what is actually happening.

Good luck.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator
7 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

Also try to get video of yourself attempting the change to verify your feels verses what is actually happening.

Definitely. Also…

9 hours ago, HozzleRocket said:

Didn't get videos unfortunately but I think I shallowed the swing so much that it became very in-to-out and pushed the hozzle towards the ball.  I felt my left arm was a lot flatter at the top of my backswing rather than pointing down towards the ball. Hopefully this makes sense...

That may have actually steepened the shaft. Or left it the same, but flattened/shallowed only your left arm. Tough to say, exactly, but the point isn't about how shallow your left arm is, it's how rotated it is and how shallow the club shaft is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not my swing but thought I would post anyway as quite amusing/surprising if anything ...

Attended the RtD finale on Sunday and spent the day taking slow mo videos of swings to go home and compare to mine.  Caught this beauty of a top by Dean Burmester on 18.

Any analysis on why he ended up topping it into the water?  Would be interesting to see how this can be analysed and maybe give me some more understanding of a swing.  

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, HozzleRocket said:

Any analysis on why he ended up topping it into the water?

Kinda pointless to do that. Golf is Hard® and sometimes when your swing is off by 1/3" you get a bad result. Like that.

Sometimes pros hit shanks, but their swing is going to look almost exactly like when they hit one flush.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Still struggling with my downswing becoming too steep. 

A quick question, should my arms or hips move first when at the top of the swing?  I have been generally spinning hips first with arms following but it does seem to force hands out on steeper plane 

• 3 weeks later...

Started working with Preston at Evolvr and the first lesson was really helpful.  Picked up on my cupped left wrist and position of my hands on the backswing.  Hopefully have some more videos to post soon but the range is currently too cold here!

I recommend you view a couple videos to answer the last question you posted nov 30.  Monte Scheinblum YouTube video: no turn cast drill.  The other is Mike Malaska (Alaska with an M): mike malaska live lesson with monica. 

I've been searching 40 years for a move that delivers impact positions of tour pros, this last MM video explains that.  you want Hogan secret or Jacks secret?  There it is. 

Note: This thread is 2318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!