IGNORED

Tossing around ideas for a different 2018 set-up.

Note:Β This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Just now, colin007 said:

Lol if i do, that's the blind squirrel getting the acorn every once in a while.

But seriously, I've found that the 56Β° is able to do pretty much what the 60 could do, without the elevated risk. Don't miss it, plus the bag is lighter for it LOL

Ok 225 consistently. You hit some really nice shots with that hybrid of yours back when we played Conklin in July of 2016.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@WUTiger,

I'm thinking about switching from the Recoil shafts I have now back to the True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT. I like the flight of shots with this shaft, I guess they're lighter in the longer irons and heavier in the shorter irons. It's the trajectory window I'm looking at, so instead of hitting a 7-iron up into the damn stratosphere, it's more in the trajectory window of the just above the tree line (at least on the monitor).

I'm not sure if I should stick with S-flex or maybe Soft-step a stiff or hard-step a regular... Or just maybe get them in R300 and call it good.

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

I'm thinking about switching from the Recoil shafts I have now back to the True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT. I like the flight of shots with this shaft, I guess they're lighter in the longer irons and heavier in the shorter irons.

The AMTs are basically a flighted shaft - a little extra launch boost in the long irons, and traditional DG lower launchΒ in short irons and wedges to prevent ballooning.

As for flex, don't go too light on the DG AMT. Despite having heavy, lower-launching shafts, the original DGs play a bit softer than average to flex. Using the Frequency Coefficient Matching (FCM) figures, the base stiff DG S300 has FCM = 5.8, while the base stiff PX 6.0 has FCM = 6.5. Thus the DG stiff is more than half a flex lighter than the PX stiff.

Caution:Β I don't knowΒ the FCM for the AMT. But, the weight range for AMTΒ S300 is 112-130 grams. Does anyone have test AMTs you could try on the launch monitor?Β I hit some AMTs last summer at a Titleist demo day, but I was working by feel rather than launch monitor. It was S300, a bit too much for me.Β Anyway, a flighted shaft would be the way to go if you worry aboutΒ ballooning short irons.

You might also consider theΒ KBS Tour FLTΒ shafts - lots of flex and weight variety.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

On 1/27/2018 at 12:11 AM, WUTiger said:

The AMTs are basically a flighted shaft - a little extra launch boost in the long irons, and traditional DG lower launchΒ in short irons and wedges to prevent ballooning.

As for flex, don't go too light on the DG AMT. Despite having heavy, lower-launching shafts, the original DGs play a bit softer than average to flex. Using the Frequency Coefficient Matching (FCM) figures, the base stiff DG S300 has FCM = 5.8, while the base stiff PX 6.0 has FCM = 6.5. Thus the DG stiff is more than half a flex lighter than the PX stiff.

Caution:Β I don't knowΒ the FCM for the AMT. But, the weight range for AMTΒ S300 is 112-130 grams. Does anyone have test AMTs you could try on the launch monitor?Β I hit some AMTs last summer at a Titleist demo day, but I was working by feel rather than launch monitor. It was S300, a bit too much for me.Β Anyway, a flighted shaft would be the way to go if you worry aboutΒ ballooning short irons.

You might also consider theΒ KBS Tour FLTΒ shafts - lots of flex and weight variety.

Yes, ha ha, the place I get lessons has some AMTs. I hit the demo CBX Blade with an R300 AMT... And it seemed to be right in the trajectory window I'm looking at.

I've got the shafts down to three now that I've gotten the 99% of the time set-up figured out.

@WUTiger,

The AMT Whites I guess are very close to the DG S300 shafts on FCM. So I have my shaft choices narrowed down to three for my irons. (I have the shaft I want picked out for the D, 4w, and 19Β° driving iron). 2 are stock shafts, one is a little bit of an upcharge.

1. TT DG AMT White S300 or S200 Tour Issue (I may even hard-step an R300 twice)

2. KBS Tour R+

3. KBS Tour FLT S-flex.

I do have one final set-up question that might be a yes, no, maybe so question.

Should I hang onto a hybrid for courses with really thick rough? I wouldn't buy a new one, I'd just put one of my EX9's in the bag if I was playing somewhere with thicker rough.

Β 

14 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

... Should I hang onto a hybrid for courses with really thick rough? I wouldn't buy a new one, I'd just put one of my EX9's in the bag if I was playing somewhere with thicker rough. ...

That sounds reasonable. It could be a 3H or 4H... or maybe even a 7W. (In really grarly roughΒ 7W can be fantastic.)

Just wondering... Just this month, you are the second power swing guy who has mentioned double-hardstepping an R-flex shaft. What do you guys get out of doing this?Β 

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

8 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

That sounds reasonable. It could be a 3H or 4H... or maybe even a 7W. (In really grarly roughΒ 7W can be fantastic.)

Just wondering... Just this month, you are the second power swing guy who has mentioned double-hardstepping an R-flex shaft. What do you guys get out of doing this?Β 

As you said DG S300 plays softer than say Project X or a KBS Tour.Β 

To answer your question, I'm switching from graphite to steel, and 2) I have a relatively moderate tempo. That and I like the feel better.

(edited)

@WUTiger

I might just end up getting the AMT shafts in S300 or the KBS Tour in Regular Plus without the softening or hardening of the shafts. I still need to do more testing of shafts before I make a final decision.Β 

Now comes the other question. In the driver do I go with a stock shaft (Aldila Rogue MA-X 75) or do I upgrade to the shaft Project X HZDRUS or Kuro Kage TiNi Silver? (I'm looking at Stiff in the woods and the driving iron).

Edited by onthehunt526
Forgot to mention @WUTiger

A number of ways to look at this:

• Does the PX Hz or the KK TiNi Silver give you a performance advantage over the Adila RM? A launch monitor will help you on this.
  • How do shafts compare? See chart.

ShaneTEdr_shafts.jpg.0d4091dc0d17db85c49789ff0dc18526.jpg

See description of PX Hz Yellow for details.

Also, a couple of cautions. Club designer Tom Wishon cautions that when players go to lighter shafts, they often go too light at first. That's why I'm encouraged to see that stiff is in play for both irons and woods.

Second, test out the PX Hzrdus before you buy it. PX shafts always come out a little harsher than people think they will. Heavier PX shafts tend to favor people with an attack vs. a tempo transition.

6 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

A number of ways to look at this:

• Does the PX Hz or the KK TiNi Silver give you a performance advantage over the Adila RM? A launch monitor will help you on this.
  • How do shafts compare? See chart.

ShaneTEdr_shafts.jpg.0d4091dc0d17db85c49789ff0dc18526.jpg

See description of PX Hz Yellow for details.

Also, a couple of cautions. Club designer Tom Wishon cautions that when players go to lighter shafts, they often go too light at first. That's why I'm encouraged to see that stiff is in play for both irons and woods.

Second, test out the PX Hzrdus before you buy it. PX shafts always come out a little harsher than people think they will. Heavier PX shafts tend to favor people with an attack vs. a tempo transition.

My instructor has all three shafts... I think he has all three varieties of the Hzrdus... And a way to put the adapter in my EX9 to see how it feels and performs. I'm currently at 77 grams in my Black Tie, I do want to get that closer to 70.Β The Kuro Kage is 69 grams. So I'll test the shafts out and figure out which one fits the best.

Now the final bit. We've got the Driver,Β FW, DI/HY, 4-PW, 52Β°, 56Β° and either a 60Β° or a 3-iron (it'll be the 3-iron 98% of the time), and putter (sort of, I have questions about that, may just start a new thread about it)

Driver will more than likely be either EX10 or if I can still get one an EX9 Tour.

The fairway is a small toss up. Do I go CBX, EX10 Beta, or CB Pro F2. I've tested all three (3-wood heads), the CBX gives me 5 more yards than the other two (with a 3-wood). So I'm thinking 4W is better for my gapping. They all spin about the same. The CBX launches a little lower than the other two but. The peak height is about the same.Β 

@WUTiger,

What do you think CBX that goes farther than my EX9 and spins a lot less or go with EX10 beta, which is a tiny bit longer but spins about the same or CB Pro F2 that's in the middle on launch and spin (actually close to my EX9) but it's a little wild?

14 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

What do you think CBX that goes farther than my EX9 and spins a lot less or go with EX10 beta, which is a tiny bit longer but spins about the same or CB Pro F2 that's in the middle on launch and spin (actually close to my EX9) but it's a little wild?

I would say EX10 Beta... it appears to have a slightly deeper face which you could handle - you're a good ballstriker and don't need any low-profile lift. Also, you want some spin just to help control things.

I had a low-spin 5W years ago, and on my most solid hits it would run clean through the green. You have enough power you could use spin for control when you needed it, or set up for runout if needed.

CG Pro might be a confidence problem if you feel it's wild.Β 

One other thing: if you get the EX10 4W, you might trim the shaft from 43" to 42.5" for control.

Edited by WUTiger
Suggest shaft trim.

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I would say EX10 Beta... it appears to have a slightly deeper face which you could handle - you're a good ballstriker and don't need any low-profile lift. Also, you want some spin just to help control things.

I had a low-spin 5W years ago, and on my most solid hits it would run clean through the green. You have enough power you could use spin for control when you needed it, or set up for runout if needed.

CG Pro might be a confidence problem if you feel it's wild.Β 

One other thing: if you get the EX10 4W, you might trim the shaft from 43" to 42.5" for control.

Β 

Actually, @WUTigerΒ the CBX and the EX10 Beta are about the same face height. Remember the original Exotics fairways and the CB2s? The ones that put Tour Edge on the map on tour? Think of that, with a titanium face and lower launch.Β 

All and all, apples to apples, the CBX is longer than I was hitting driver last year at certain points (the 3-wood, I had a month and a half stretch where I really struggled with my driver).

The beta is a great club don't get me wrong and probably fits the tapping with a 4-wood better than the CBX.

Even being 6'5", I'm actually going to go to 42" in the 4-wood. (I was going to do 42.5" in the 3-wood and 41.5" if I played a 5-wood.)

The CB Pro issue might have been the shaft I had in it when I tested it.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:50 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Actually, @WUTigerΒ the CBX and the EX10 Beta are about the same face height. Remember the original Exotics fairways and the CB2s? The ones that put Tour Edge on the map on tour? Think of that, with a titanium face and lower launch.Β 

All and all, apples to apples, the CBX is longer than I was hitting driver last year at certain points (the 3-wood, I had a month and a half stretch where I really struggled with my driver).

The beta is a great club don't get me wrong and probably fits the tapping with a 4-wood better than the CBX.

Even being 6'5", I'm actually going to go to 42" in the 4-wood. (I was going to do 42.5" in the 3-wood and 41.5" if I played a 5-wood.)

The CB Pro issue might have been the shaft I had in it when I tested it.

So after some testing,Β hard thinking,Β analysis and input from you guys, I have this figured out.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EX10 10Β° with an Aldila Rogue M-AX 75 S flex 44"

4-wood: Tour Edge Exotics Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65 Stiff 42"

Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics CBX Iron-wood 19Β° Project X Black 85 Stiff.

Irons (3-PW) Tour Edge Exotics CBX Blades True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT White R300

Wedges (52Β°, 56Β°, 60Β°) Tour Edge Exotics CBX Blades True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT White R300

Putter: Need a different thread for this one, probably going to start one soon.

@WUTiger, I'm a little torn. The CBX Hybrids are not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's long lost cousin. (If you get the joke). They draw if you want to play that, but I tested to see if you can hit a fade with it. And you can. The 19Β° model is 8-10 yards longer than my EX9. However, I can actually chop 25 yards off the CBX if I needed to.Β 

The driving iron really only stays in a 15 yard window. (A more consistent window though.)Β 

Since the hybrids come in 6 different lofts 16-22Β° (they don't have a 21Β°)... Maybe get one of those instead of the driving iron?Β 

12 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

...Β @WUTigerI'm a little torn. The CBX Hybrids are not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's long lost cousin. (If you get the joke). They draw if you want to play that, but I tested to see if you can hit a fade with it. And you can. The 19Β° model is 8-10 yards longer than my EX9. However, I can actually chop 25 yards off the CBX if I needed to. ...

OTH, let me make sure I understand where you're going.

In yourΒ comments on hybrids in other threads, I believe you haveΒ trouble with left misses. You have a strong swing and great leverage due to your height. I have spoken to other golfers with high clubhead speedΒ who sense they overpowered hybrids on occasion. I've heard this before.

I think you're sayingΒ the CBX hybrids can deliver both fade and draw; are not the longest hybrid, but afford good distance control. With proper shaft, it seems like the CBX 3H could be your magic club -Β you could work it, go full distance or shave off yards if needed.

The women pros really get a lot out of their hybrids. I saw thisΒ as a caddie at a Symetra Tour event last summer (LPGA developmental).Β My golfer used the 3H and 4H a lot, in different situations. When I asked her how far she actually hit her 4H, she replied, "As far as I need to." The 4HΒ was her magic club.

Sounds like the CBX 3H might do the same for you. You could get a lot out of it, and maybe leave it at home if the upcoming course made it seem less necessary.

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

OTH, let me make sure I understand where you're going.

In yourΒ comments on hybrids in other threads, I believe you haveΒ trouble with left misses. You have a strong swing and great leverage due to your height. I have spoken to other golfers with high clubhead speedΒ who sense they overpowered hybrids on occasion. I've heard this before.

I think you're sayingΒ the CBX hybrids can deliver both fade and draw; are not the longest hybrid, but afford good distance control. With proper shaft, it seems like the CBX 3H could be your magic club -Β you could work it, go full distance or shave off yards if needed.

The women pros really get a lot out of their hybrids. I saw thisΒ as a caddie at a Symetra Tour event last summer (LPGA developmental).Β My golfer used the 3H and 4H a lot, in different situations. When I asked her how far she actually hit her 4H, she replied, "As far as I need to." The 4HΒ was her magic club.

Sounds like the CBX 3H might do the same for you. You could get a lot out of it, and maybe leave it at home if the upcoming course made it seem less necessary.

In that respect, it's kind of like Lee Trevino's Taylormade 7-wood in the late 1980s and early 90s. He could hit that thing 165 yards- 210 yards any kind of shot he wanted to. That's kind of what I'm looking for.

@WUTiger,

If I were to go with a CBX Hybrid instead of the CBX Driving Iron... I only could see one tiny problem... If I really catch it with say an 18Β° or 19Β°... It might be almost asΒ long as the 4-wood with a full swing.Β 

However, I have the ability to take a ton off of it (with the 18Β° anyway.)

I can hit that thing 180 or I can it 230 at different trajectories. So basically "Club X" might be a 18 or 19 degree hybrid. (I do like the Iron-woods, good for tee shots, and light rough lies, (my instructor has a mat that has different cuts of "grass")). So I'm not really torn, because I'm not pining over long club over wedge really. The only club I didn't get to test was the CBX 5-wood.

11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I only could see one tiny problem... If I really catch it with say an 18Β° or 19Β°... It might be almost asΒ long as the 4-wood with a full swing.Β 

So, you're worried you might overpower a shot a couple of times a month. Join the club!

If you talk to PGA Tour pros, they will say they only hit 6-7 really pure shots a round. But they still break par.

So... It looks like you may have found "Club X." Congrats!Β :dance:

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

So, you're worried you might overpower a shot a couple of times a month. Join the club!

If you talk to PGA Tour pros, they will say they only hit 6-7 really pure shots a round. But they still break par.

So... It looks like you may have found "Club X." Congrats!Β :dance:

Since I've finally found my 4W/4I bridge. I don't necessarily need the 3I (I'm still going to buy it, and use it for practice and windy days). The only issue I might have now, that isn't a "huge" concern, is 3-wood or 4-wood. I think the 4-wood might be the way to go, but a 3-wood at standard 4-wood length could accomplish the same thing. @WUTiger, Since I've found a club, I can do whatever I want with, a.k.a. we don't really need a fairway wood, I can shave 25 yards off of. (If you want to see me do that, watch me with a 5-wood). I probably could go with a 3-wood at 42.5" correct? I'm not opposed to the 4W/19Β° H set-up though. The only thing what fairway I play effects, is whether I have a 245 carry club off the turf or not.

Note:Β This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!