IGNORED

Single plane golf swing

birdie seeker
Note: This thread is 2041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

What about it? :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only player I can easily recall with a two plane swing is Jim Furyk.  Its amazing how complicated it is and yet functional for him.  There could be others, but I just can't think of them.

99% of all players have a 1 plane swing.  Doesn't mean anything.  The real distinction is between diggers and sweepers, and I think sweepers have a big edge in shot performance.

One of the few "gimmicks" I bought growing up which helped my swing a lot was the medicus five iron.  It forces you to keep the club along a certain pathway from start to finish, and if you make mistakes breaking the plane the clubhead collapses on the shaft.  Not a perfect tool as you could potentially have minor swing flaws which don't affect the tool, but great for beginners and people struggling.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, GST1974 said:

The only player I can easily recall with a two plane swing is Jim Furyk.  Its amazing how complicated it is and yet functional for him.  There could be others, but I just can't think of them.

There are a lot of golfers with what's called a "two-plane" swing. Dustin Johnson's left arm doesn't match his shoulder plane at the top of the backswing, for example. Clear two-planer.

28 minutes ago, GST1974 said:

99% of all players have a 1 plane swing.  Doesn't mean anything.  The real distinction is between diggers and sweepers, and I think sweepers have a big edge in shot performance.

I don't think so. You're defining it differently…

28 minutes ago, GST1974 said:

One of the few "gimmicks" I bought growing up which helped my swing a lot was the medicus five iron.  It forces you to keep the club along a certain pathway from start to finish, and if you make mistakes breaking the plane the clubhead collapses on the shaft.  Not a perfect tool as you could potentially have minor swing flaws which don't affect the tool, but great for beginners and people struggling.

Yeah, that's not how most people define a "one-plane" swing.

A one-plane swing (L) and a two-plane swing (R) illustrated here:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, GST1974 said:

99% of all players have a 1 plane swing. 

I'd call this #fakenews Quickly I can think of Bubba, DJ, Day, Ernie, Scott, Langer and many more.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

On 12/1/2017 at 6:50 PM, birdie seeker said:

I'm referencing the Moe Norman swing. The swing that Todd Graves teaches.

There is a whole thread about Moe Norman and his swing in the Instruction section. Have fun reading.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

One Plane Swing is really a misnomer.  This has been beaten to death by golfers ever since Hardy wrote his book.  It is way too involved and complex to go into here but I would suggest that an easier way for most people to understand what it's about would be the difference in a player who swings flatter and more around his body vs a player who swings more vertical where the club travels above his head on the backswing. The objective for both types of players is to approach impact on plane.  The vertical player has to flatten the shaft more on the downswing than the around the body player who is nearly on plane when he starts his downswing.  The one plane reference for the player who swings more around the body has to do with the club shaft at the top of the backswing being on a similar plane as the shoulder plane, even though there can be a separation between the two planes by 4 to 6 inches.  

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

• 2 months later...

my single plane swing :

Edited by efdeel74

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

• 2 weeks later...

1. even the definitions are not the same.

2. many not even try it, but "know" it "complicated".

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

• 5 months later...

Bryson Decambeau prove that single plane Rock !!! :D

Note: This thread is 2041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!