IGNORED

Looking for the best anti-cast/increasing lag drills

Note: This thread is 2299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking for recommendations for the best anti-casting or increasing lag or delaying release drills that folks have found that work.

I seem to be rotating my hips properly on the downswing, but for some reason my wrists start to uncock just as my arms reach slightly above parallel with the ground and at impact they're in line with my right pants pocket with the clubhead flipping. And when I try to concentrate on maintaining wrist-cock, I hit a shank. Strangely enough, I do not have this problem with the Driver, 3-Wood or Hybrids, just the irons. As I  described on another thread, I always wondered why people who I can out-drive by a lot use much shorter clubs than I do with their irons from the same distance. Now I know why.

I do not make this request lightly since it's been since mid-November, which is when I first looked at a video of my swing and discovered I had this flaw, that I must have watched 30-40 different YouTube videos from Clay Ballard, Scratch Golf Academy, Monte Scheinblum, Revolution Golf, Michael Breed, et al trying to find some kind of drill that might actually work. I've tried the swing the club like a hockey stick drill, the step and release drill, the pump-pump and hit drill, the swing with just the left arm drill, the swing with just the right arm drill, the swing with both arms and two clubs in each hand drill, various slow motion drills in front of a full length mirror and more. I know what I'm doing wrong, and I can create the correct swing motion both in slow motion with a regular club and at full speed with a shortened practice club that I have (so I don't hit the ceiling when I'm inside), but when I get onto the range or out in my backyard with reduced flight balls and a camera & tripod and take a look at what I'm doing, I see I'm doing the same damn thing over and over. I've watched the Hogan tip from Shell's Wonderful World of Golf, Adam Scott's slow-mo swing repeatedly and I even borrowed an Impact Snap from a friend and can get the click at the right instant. I just can't translate any of the drills I've been doing to a real swing and all of my practice and range work have not been effective.

I probably need a lesson from a real live pro but the weather is getting colder so that might have to wait until Spring, but I'd rather work on some effective drills now since I know that this is going to aggravate the crap out of me all winter. So if anyone's had success dealing with this malady please let me know what worked for you and what didn't. My game overall is OK and can score reasonably will with this putrid swing because I can hit the ball straight with it and as I said above I drive the ball well, but I'd dearly love to get this corrected.

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• iacas changed the title to Looking for the best anti-cast/increasing lag drills
  • Administrator

There could be a number of reasons why you're unable to achieve the proper amount of "lag" in your swing. I think looking at those reasons, and the lack of lag as a result or a compensation, is more likely a better path.

You should create a Member Swing topic.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, I think I might post a video on the Member Swings forum but rIght now each clip (DTL & Face-on) is about 50MB. I'm trying to figure out a way to shrink them down to 5MB each.

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

Yeah, I think I might post a video on the Member Swings forum but rIght now each clip (DTL & Face-on) is about 50MB. I'm trying to figure out a way to shrink them down to 5MB each.

Post them on YouTube. We don't want videos uploaded directly to this site.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, OGLP said:

I really lack this drill described by Paul Azinger. It is a great drill to work on inside during the winter months.

I like that...thanks.  I'll try it. The hard part though is doing it outside, with the same downswing thought, and hitting a ball without shanking.

As @iacas mentioned there can be different reasons why you're casting the club from the top. The releasing of the club from the top can be the result of something else  in the swing

Upload your swing to YouTube and then embed it in the member swing forum.

Improving one shot at a time.

6 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

I like that...thanks.  I'll try it. The hard part though is doing it outside, with the same downswing thought, and hitting a ball without shanking.

I wonder if it works. Also why use a real club? I think I'd use some kind of soft substitute so I don't take a big chunk of the wall.:-D

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Look up the "pump drill" on You Tube. It's similar to what Zinger is doing above. 

I use it. Did it today for a few minutes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

11 hours ago, OGLP said:

As @iacas mentioned there can be different reasons why you're casting the club from the top. The releasing of the club from the top can be the result of something else  in the swing

Upload your swing to YouTube and then embed it in the member swing forum.

It's already there.

I'm working on a bunch of different drills; smash bag and small swings in the basement hitting a foam ball against the cinder-block wall. I'll use this wall thing too and see how that goes. I'm planning a Florida trip for next month and I'll be able to see if any of this stuff is gonna stick. 

• Administrator
On 1/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, xrayvizhen said:

It's already there.

I'm working on a bunch of different drills; smash bag and small swings in the basement hitting a foam ball against the cinder-block wall. I'll use this wall thing too and see how that goes. I'm planning a Florida trip for next month and I'll be able to see if any of this stuff is gonna stick. 

I feel like I gave you a pretty good answer in your member swing topic (which, coincidentally, illustrates that I'll give the same advice I just lightly panned as being purely a "feel" and not "scientific" in @Secretmove's Member Swing topic).

Smash bags will help, sure, but my hunch is that as soon as you put a ball back down there you're gonna race out ahead with your lower body and just leave your arms hanging out in space up high. You've gotta start to use your arms more. Your sequencing is off.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I feel like I gave you a pretty good answer in your member swing topic (which, coincidentally, illustrates that I'll give the same advice I just lightly panned as being purely a "feel" and not "scientific" in @Secretmove's Member Swing topic).

You did give me a good answer. I tried the drill in the video referenced and I was able to do that...in the drill.  And I'm working at trying to keep my lower body from getting too far ahead of my arms (firming up my left side) or getting my arms to move more quickly across my body, or a combination of both. The hard part is translating the feeling from any practice or drill to a real swing. When I get to Florida I'll take some videos and see if there's any improvement.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, xrayvizhen said:

You did give me a good answer. I tried the drill in the video referenced and I was able to do that...in the drill.  And I'm working at trying to keep my lower body from getting too far ahead of my arms (firming up my left side) or getting my arms to move more quickly across my body, or a combination of both. The hard part is translating the feeling from any practice or drill to a real swing. When I get to Florida I'll take some videos and see if there's any improvement.

Do the drills the right way. Practice the right way. Simple, slow, specific… etc.

Of course, if you immediately try to make full swings, you're just going to make the same old swings.

Note: This thread is 2299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!