IGNORED

Do you think Bill Murray or George Lopez are funny?

rstyle
Note: This thread is 5943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lopez more so than Murray, but it seems like neither one knows when to turn it off

Founder,
The Sand Trap Tour
Central NC's affordable amateur tour

But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point. ~Payne Stewart

Who is George Lopez anyway??? I think he had a show that lasted as long as it took me to type the 1st 5 words in this post!

Bill Murray, on the other hand, is a classic!!! I can handle it once a year and that's about it!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Personally I would prefer not to see them on a golf course on TV again

They were probably thinking this...

-no one watches golf in January -Lopez was the only one they could get to host -this is not a real tournament anyway -the people who are watching won't care who hosts, they just want to fill the winter void with a little golf also, was Bill Murray even there this year, I don't think he was.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Bill Murray's Turn is in a couple of weeks at the AT&T; hosted by Clint Eastwood. These kind of tournaments are a throw back to the old days when the Tour wanted to be associated with the Style and Glitz of Hollywood. Now adays the boys are more interested in being associated with Nascar because of there winning formula. The old days did seem a little more honest if you as me.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Bill Murray's Turn is in a couple of weeks at the AT&T; hosted by Clint Eastwood. These kind of tournaments are a throw back to the old days when the Tour wanted to be associated with the Style and Glitz of Hollywood. Now adays the boys are more interested in being associated with Nascar because of there winning formula. The old days did seem a little more honest if you as me.

did you say NASCAR... I pray that it never EVER be mentioned in the same breath as golf... I absolutely cannot stand NASCAR.

by the way... being Canadian, do you play any hockey, it is the ONLY other sport... been paying hockey since I was 6... so 22 years.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Personally I would prefer not to see them on a golf course on TV again

I find Lopez funny, especially those commercials he did with Trevino, Feherty, Cooper, etc.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe they are funny in commercials and movies because the stuff is written for them.
Then they try to be funny on their own and it is horrible. Falling on the ground, trying to walk funny, dancing after a Tee shot or a putt............................. When they are stopped on the course and asked a question by a TV announcer they try hard to say something that is funny and it is just stupid.
maybe it is just me, but I would prefer to not see them on the golf couse.

• Administrator
I thought he did a decent job this year, to be honest. Murray is a bit overplayed. George will probably get there some day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally, I think that anyone with name recognition is a good choice to host a golf tournament. Like them or loathe them, both Bill Murray and George Lopez have large crossover followings, some of whom may tune in to the broadcasts just to see their hero. And maybe, hopefully, some of them will become interested enough in the game to give it a whirl as a result.

Considering that George Lopez in particular is popular among Hispanics, one of the fastest growing demographic markets over the past decade or so (in the US), it was probably a pretty smart move to tap him for the post.

Unfortunately....the decision to air the Hope exclusively on The Golf Channel probably negated much of that crossover effect. I haven't seen the ratings yet, but it stands to reason (well, to my reason anyway) that Network coverage would have increased the potential viewer pool greatly. If you're a basic cable customer and you're not a golf fan, odds are you aren't going to have The Golf Channel. So if you wanted to see George either out of curiosity or dedication, you couldn't. But you certainly might have tuned in if the party were broadcast on ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX.

Couple that with the usual number of people who won't watch a tournament without Tiger (or Phil or Vijay or Furyk) and I have a funny feeling it wouldn't have mattered WHO'S name you put up on the marquee - a large percentage of viewers were already alienated.

BTW I personally love Bill Murray's humor, but was never a fan of Lopez's. His appearances on VH1's "I Love the 70's/80's/90's" were particularly painful to watch. The guy may be able to work up a script and get through a shoot without exploding into flames, but he sure can't ad lib. Almost all his comments on the "I Love" series were pretty much verbatim along the lines of, " Oh yeah, I remember this thing. Wasn't it a (and he just basically describes the product handed to him)...?" No witty bon mots . No snarky hilarity. No...nothing. Just, "Oh yeah. This thing. I remember this." Thud .

Maybe that's why I almost fell over the first time I heard this "Family Guy" exchange:

Meg: "Chris, change the channel. I want to watch George Lopez"

Chris: "That show just furthers the stereotype that George Lopez is funny!"

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I would have liked it if they really profiled some of the better stars who are close to being players. Some of those guys are really good.

When George shaved his goat, I was thinking you need to rinse the blade man...not funny at all. He has had better moments.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

on a golf course, No...on a stage or movie, Yes
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

They were probably thinking this...

The winner of this tournament gets into the Masters, 4500 Fed Ex Cup points and almost $1mm. I would not classify it as "this is not a real tournament anyway"

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I think George has a true love of the game. Unfortunately, we don't get to see it in this tournament. If you think about it, even Samuel L. Jackson was trying to be funny in front of the cameras at times.

The interview in the latest Golf Digest with Lopez is good. that's who I'd like to see on the course....the serious side.

On the other hand, there are plenty of us that like to cut up when we're out there with our friends.

Founder,
The Sand Trap Tour
Central NC's affordable amateur tour

But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point. ~Payne Stewart

Lost Ball has never found Lopez to be remotely funny yet has found Bill Murray to be quite funny in several films
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

Murry is a golf god. Caddyshack and the stuff he does on the course are hilarious. Don't know about Lopez though havent watched him much.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

My Bad....but who is George Lopez??

On the other hand....
Cinderella story...coming out of nowhere...tears in is eyes I guess...he's got about 250 yards,,,,looks like about a 9 iron....

Best movie of all time.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Considering the lack of personality from the actual professional golfers these days i welcome any personality out on the course. I'm not much of a Lopez fan but i think Bill Murray is funny.
My problem is when the network only follows the celebrities that have shows on their network (which, if i'm not mistaken, is why Lopez got air time in the first place). Ray Ramano used to have every one of his shots shown, it was like watching a tournament that had Tiger in it.

Note: This thread is 5943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!