IGNORED

Leave the ego at home

Par Fore
Note: This thread is 2267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been struggling with limited gains the last couple of years.  Between my back and work, it's been less golf than I would have hoped.....frustrating, a struggle.  Went to the range for a rare practice session a week or so ago, it was brutal.....a third of my shots were really bad....a third ok.....a third were solid.  I had decided it was time to put up my Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15's and get some shovels......I had read the reviews and sold myself on the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals, everyone seemed to like them.  Additionally, I did a little rare reading, went back and read Freddy Couples "Total Shotmaking" - to hell with my draw, it was time for a fade.  I literally looked at his setup, watched some Freddy youtube, and decided that I would set up with an open stance, swing along the target line, and hit 5 yard fades.

Saturday, went to the range with two objectives:  try the 900's versus my Ben Hogans, and also start hitting fades.  It wasn't all that warm, and we had a 20 mph wind, not the best conditions but typical for this time of year.  The Hot Metals are are a great looking club, although a bit big, and put it side by side with the Hogans.  To my surprise, hitting 5 balls with each club and switching back, I consistently hit the Hogans much better, better ball flight, and with more control.  And, with a 5 yard fade......unreal.  So, the good news......no dropping a bunch of cash on new irons.  I hit the forgiving irons worse than the players irons, dispersion was much greater and ball flight too high.  Great range session, headed home to enjoy date night.

Next day, noon.....get to the golf course in perfect time to hit a small bucket, pick up my 28 degree and start hitting 5 yard fades to warm up......hit about 20 balls, go hit about 20 pitches, and then putting green for about 20 putts.  Getting close to my tee time with the regular foursome and some Wolf.  Decided to just own it, stick with the game plan, and play fades all day - the distance loss was less than expected.  I also took an extra club on each shot and was on or around the green often (see Erik's book/icacas, I was essentially running with the advice of Freddy and Eric all day).  Threw ego out of the equation - even into the wind, stuck with that fade and played the percentages.  Winter grass meant tight lies......I even putted twice from 30 yards off the green, playing the percentages.  Tried to play smart on every shot, avoided sneaking back to my draw and also trying anything high risk......punched out a few times and took my medicine.  On winter grass, on a windy day where the wind continued to blow and got colder/worse on the back 9, shot an 81.....and I am a poor wind player.

Long story short, recommendations:

Played a draw almost all of my life - just a few days with a fade, it was more consistent.  An old friend of mine who was scratch used to always say, "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen".  He was right.

Books - Freddy's Total Shotmaking has some good info, but I would especially read Erik's/Iacas book......it talks simple concepts and playing the percentages.

Ego - leave it at home.....true, my drives were 20 yards shorter on average with a fade, but I didn't have the couple of duck hooks that always show up, hit more fairways, more GIR, and generally hit the ball in the general direction intended.

Hope this is a good read.......I went from buying new clubs, realized the problem was me, changed my strategy, and shot a legit 81 in strong winds....and I hate wind.  Looking forward to 2018.

Anything is possible   :-D

Like Lee Trevino said, "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen." I try to eliminate the left side of the course and hit fades 99% of the time. If I miss left, it normally means I aimed over there and it didn't cut.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

An ego has no place on a golf course. The bigger the ego, the easier it is for frustration to take it's place. I found out early on, that patience, and a simple swing was the way to go. 

As for drawing, or fading, I don't try one way, or the other. What ever my tee'd ball flight is that day is what I go with. 

The few times where I might have to shape a shot, I make the set up adjustment, and hope for the best.

All my clubs are old. They all still send the ball where  "I" hit it. My gamers are going on 10 years old.

Tomorrow I am going to play using irons that are close to 20 years old. No metal woods. It will be a nastalgic, fun day for me. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My ego travels well.  I can take it for a walk, leave it with food and water, tell it when I'll be back; only to have it turn up later...usually on a short par 5.  Despite our many years together; it remains optimistic.  And it doesn't seem to mind taking it on the chin once in a while...which is fortunate.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 2267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!