IGNORED

Toronto, Canada Golf

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 2102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm heading to Toronto for a conference in July.  I'll be there for a week, so will likely play a few times.  Any course recommendations?

Club Corp owns the following courses which I have access too as well.

5a8ec757d83af_ClubCorpTorontoGolfCourses.JPG.387981c0fe9aef7d1eea30d0697ba764.JPG

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Toronto, Canada Golf
  • Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

All of the clubs on that list would be excellent choices, just depends on what you want to pay.  There are others too that aren't associated with Club Corp.  Where will you be staying in Toronto, ie downtown, west, north, east?  That will help a lot, as driving 30 miles around here can easily take an hour or more

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

On 2/24/2018 at 12:34 AM, paperclip said:

All of the clubs on that list would be excellent choices, just depends on what you want to pay.  There are others too that aren't associated with Club Corp.  Where will you be staying in Toronto, ie downtown, west, north, east?  That will help a lot, as driving 30 miles around here can easily take an hour or more

Staying downtown at the Sheraton.  All the club corp courses, we only have to pay cart fee.  :beer:

Any recommendations are welcome.  We don’t mind driving to play a good course.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Well, ok then.  Disclaimer - I am not a member of Club Corp. (which is called Clublink up here) and as such have only been able to play a couple on the list (mostly before they were bought out).  I live in the west end (Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington) and have not really played much in the east end (eg Pickering, Oshawa, Whitby, Uxbridge) or north end (Richmond Hill, Aurora, Markham).

That being said, Glen Abbey is the big time course on the list, it's where they usually host the Canadian Open (last couple of years and I think this year again), a Jack Nicklaus design, probably will be the most pricey on the list.  I have not played it but have been there to watch the pros.  The pros either love it or hate it.

I have played Blue Springs around 20 years ago before Clublink bought it; I loved the course.

The Country Club is rated highly, I have not played.

I have played Diamondback a few times before Clublink bought it, I loved it too.  Has some interesting holes.

Greystone is nice, quite hilly in spots, have not played it but caddied there when the Canadian Tour was in town.

National Pines is really nice, have played it a couple of times, but it will be at least a 2 hour drive from where you are.  With traffic being what it is around here, I wouldn't recommend it.

I also hear good things about Rattlesnake Point but I have not played it.

Others to consider:

- Wooden Sticks in Uxbridge; each hole is a close copy of famous holes around the world.

- Royal Woodbine in Toronto near the airport; usually pretty nice, some holes are tricky.

- Eagles Nest (Richmond Hill / Maple) is rated real nice, have not played, but I have been to the Titleist Regional Fitting Center there.

- Lionhead G&CC  (Oakville / Caledon) is also pretty nice, 2 course there, both are tough SOB's (slope rating 148+).  I keep that in mind while they beat the crap out of me and because of that, I have a great time.

- Piper's Heath (Oakville) looks nice, have not played but drive by it, supposed to be like a links type course.

- Nobleton Lakes (Nobleton / King City) was nice many years ago when I played it, most likely still is, that course can tend to be one tough SOB.

- Angus Glen (Markham), really nice.

The rest around here are basically munis, Clublink tended to buy up most of the nice courses around here.

I am sure I missed/forgot about some others.  I suggest you search some of these on the internet and let me know if you need a playing buddy (nudge nudge).  Hope this helps!

Edited by paperclip
Additions
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, paperclip said:

Well, ok then.  Disclaimer - I am not a member of Club Corp. (which is called Clublink up here) and as such have only been able to play a couple on the list (mostly before they were bought out).  I live in the west end (Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington) and have not really played much in the east end (eg Pickering, Oshawa, Whitby, Uxbridge) or north end (Richmond Hill, Aurora, Markham).

That being said, Glen Abbey is the big time course on the list, it's where they usually host the Canadian Open (last couple of years and I think this year again), a Jack Nicklaus design, probably will be the most pricey on the list.  I have not played it but have been there to watch the pros.  The pros either love it or hate it.

I have played Blue Springs around 20 years ago before Clublink bought it; I loved the course.

I have played Diamondback a few times before Clublink bought it, I loved it too.  Has some interesting holes.

Greystone is nice, quite hilly in spots, have not played it but caddied there when the Canadian Tour was in town.

National Pines is really nice, have played it a couple of times, but it will be at least a 2 hour drive from where you are.  With traffic being what it is around here, I wouldn't recommend it.

Others to consider:

- Wooden Sticks in Uxbridge; each hole is a close copy of famous holes around the world.

- Royal Woodbine in Toronto near the airport; usually pretty nice, some holes are tricky.

- Eagles Nest (Richmond Hill / Maple) is rated real nice, have not played, but I have been to the Titleist Regional Fitting Center there.

- Lionhead G&CC  (Oakville / Caledon) is also pretty nice, 2 course there, both are tough SOB's (slope rating 148+).  I keep that in mind while they beat the crap out of me and because of that, I have a great time.

- Piper's Heath (Oakville) looks nice, have not played but drive by it, supposed to be like a links type course.

- Nobleton Lakes (Nobleton / King City) was nice many years ago when I played it, most likely still is, that course can tend to be one tough SOB.

The rest around here are basically munis, Clublink tended to buy up most of the nice courses around here.

I am sure I missed/forgot about some others.  I suggest you search some of these on the internet and let me know if you need a playing buddy (nudge nudge).  Hope this helps!

Great, thank you.  When it gets closer to the time I'll be in touch.  If you're around and want to play, that would be cool.  

On another note. any good breweries to go to in Toronto?

-Jerry

54 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

On another note. any good breweries to go to in Toronto?

I'm not sure about breweries but when we drive from Michigan to Toronto, they have signage very frequently that advertise golf courses and wineries.    One would get the impression that golf and wine are king in Ontario.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Yes, there are some brew pubs in downtown Toronto.  For large breweries, there is the Molson brewery by the airport (owned by Molson Coors), not sure if they offer any tours.

• 3 months later...
(edited)
On 2/28/2018 at 2:47 AM, paperclip said:

Others to consider:

I got our first two rounds booked.  Let me if you would like to join us, it's just me and my wife playing. 

Saturday July 14th - The Country Club, West Course, at 11:06 am. - Guest Fees: $148.93

Sunday July 15th - Wyndance Country Club at 11:06 am - Guest Fees: $146.77 

And I requested and morning tee time at Glen Abbey on Tuesday - Guest Fees: $262.28  And we'll be booking a tee time for Wednesday, Thursday and possibly Friday as well.  Depends how tired we are.

And these are the courses that I will likely try and book while we are here.  We're likely to just stay with the clublink courses, as we can't beat the cart fee only price at any of the other courses.

• Kings Valley Golf Club - Guest Fees: $191.99
  • Rattle Snake Point Golf Club -  Guest Fees: $175.95

And I just asked what the cost would be to play: DiamondBack, Blue Springs and Bond Head

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Glen Abbey is closed the entire time I'm there as they are getting ready for their tournament, bummer.

Playing DiamondBack Golf Club on Thursday the 19th at 11:06 am and waiting for confirmation on Greystone Golf Club for Friday the 20th.

-Jerry

On 6/26/2018 at 9:29 AM, jsgolfer said:

I got our first two rounds booked.  Let me if you would like to join us, it's just me and my wife playing. 

Saturday July 14th - The Country Club, West Course, at 11:06 am. - Guest Fees: $148.93

Sunday July 15th - Wyndance Country Club at 11:06 am - Guest Fees: $146.77 

And I requested and morning tee time at Glen Abbey on Tuesday - Guest Fees: $262.28  And we'll be booking a tee time for Wednesday, Thursday and possibly Friday as well.  Depends how tired we are.

And these are the courses that I will likely try and book while we are here.  We're likely to just stay with the clublink courses, as we can't beat the cart fee only price at any of the other courses.

• Kings Valley Golf Club - Guest Fees: $191.99
  • Rattle Snake Point Golf Club -  Guest Fees: $175.95

And I just asked what the cost would be to play: DiamondBack, Blue Springs and Bond Head

Thanks for remembering and asking!  I would be honored to join you.  Right now I can do the 14th but not the 15th, the 19th is probable, but the 20th I cannot because I will be on the road travelling.  Feel free to send me a PM in a week or so and we can finalize everything.

3 hours ago, paperclip said:

Thanks for remembering and asking!  I would be honored to join you.  Right now I can do the 14th but not the 15th, the 19th is probable, but the 20th I cannot because I will be on the road travelling.  Feel free to send me a PM in a week or so and we can finalize everything.

Cool,check for a PM.

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for the flight on Saturday, looking forward to meeting and playing some golf with @paperclip.

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to say that I joined jsgolfer for two very enjoyable rounds over the past couple of weeks when he was in the Toronto area!  Super guy!

11 hours ago, paperclip said:

Wanted to say that I joined jsgolfer for two very enjoyable rounds over the past couple of weeks when he was in the Toronto area!  Super guy!

And the same back to you John.  Although my golf game wasn't up to par, great time on the two courses we played.

The Country Club - West Course - Very nice course, very demanding off the tee.  Miss the fairways and there was lots of trouble (which John and I found more often then we would've liked).  

Wyndance - Very nice course, really liked the layout, conditions weren't the greatest, but overall great golf course.

Diamond Back Golf Club - Another very nice club, our golf games were much better on this day.

King Valley Golf Club - The nicest maintained of the courses, very, very nice layout.  Also needed to be pretty good off the tee, I was not again, but met a nice couple who were members at Diamond Run in the Pittsburgh area.

-Jerry

Note: This thread is 2102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!