IGNORED

Ping pioneer golf bag or sun mountain c130 golf bag

Note: This thread is 2238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello was wondering if purchasing a new golf bag as far as cart bags which one of these bags would be the better of the 2 any information would be appreciated thought maybe somebody on here may have these bags thanks

Both are great bags.  It may not be what you want to hear but it's a personal choice.   I own neither.   I've read many reviews on the Sun Mountain and they are always very positive.   

When I picked my bag I looked at reviews but also how I wanted my clubs and accessories stored.   I didn't want an external putter tube and wanted enough pockets to store the items I deemed necessary to carry.  

Good luck in your decision.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have and use the Pioneer cart bag.  Can't compare to Sun Mountain, but as another has already said, they always get really positive reviews.  Here's the good and maybe not so good about the Ping Pioneer:

I like the 14-way, individual club holder.  Will never go back to anything but a setup like this.  Keeps shafts in good order, having each club in its own space is the way it should be.

I travel with my clubs.  The amount of stuff you can put inside that bag is insane.  Golf shoes, extra clothing, everything that attaches to the bag, the ping driver and fairway wood heads, (I take them off before packing in my travel bag) extra balls, gloves ... the usual stuff

It has a large tab in front to run the golf cart strap that secures bag to cart.  Doesn't seem like a big deal but another feature I won't live without again.

The darn thing is HUGE, but extremely light.  Don't know the actual weight, but it's comfortable to carry and I have a couple of 9-hole rounds.  It stands up nicely without falling over on level ground and providing you have the clubs distributed in a way that they don't pull the bag to the ground.

When carted, all compartments are easily accessible.  Three down the front keeps all the stuff you need for your round and then some.  You could easily put a 6-pack in the bottom compartment.  I use that compartment for extra sleeves of balls, golf gloves, etc.  Instead of beer, that bottom compartment would hold 2 dozen balls easily.  Top compartment is for loose balls, tees, ball markers and repair tools.  Middle compartment is soft-lined.  In goes wallet, keys and cell phone usually.

The only thing I don't like is that it only has one 'side ring' to strap on things like towels, (I use 2) and my laser range finder bag, a couple of bag tags and my zip out club cleaner.  Lots of stuff that any golfer would use every round ... just not enough space.  I think the newer models (mine is a '16 year) might have glove velcro clip on the other side.  Like I'd use that?

Comes in a lot of cool colors as well.  Mine is the medium blue, black and white.  Looks similar to the G Series metal wood head covers.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had the SM c-130 for the last 6 yrs and it was great. Plenty of room but a little heavy. The shaft liners wore out and begin to come loose and snag the grips when getting a club out.I bought the ping pioneer this past Winter and like it. Lots of room and pockets It seems much lighter than the SM. A feature I really like is that it has a zipper inside one of the large pockets that lets U get to the inside of the bag...if U dropped something down the bag U wouldn't have to dump your clubs to retrieve it.  The only con is the single ring for towels. I simply bought a hard metal ring  about 2" diameter and secured it to one of the blue handles, ( my bag is grey and blue), with a piece of velcro . It has worked well for me.

Note: This thread is 2238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!