IGNORED

3 Wood vs Hybrid Iron

Note: This thread is 2205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This may or may not be a common question, but I tend to hit a Nike 3 Hybrid around 255 yards in the air with around 6000 RPM's of spin. Because of the shorter and whippier shaft I feel like I can really unload on the hybrid and still find the middle, but It spins a lot and I fear that may cause me to lose many shots to wind, on top of this because its a hybrid, my mishits can really send the ball high in the air with very short carry(around 190 if im lucky, usually 178.8 average). I currently struggle to hit the 3 wood that I own and when I do hit it it goes the same distance as my driver. Because of this, I'm thinking about replacing my 3 wood with my hybrid semi-permanently and using the hybrid because It fits my gapping a little better as my 3 iron usually carries 238 average so the extra 17 yards are about what I need from that far out. What exactly would the benefits be to using a 3 wood as opposed to the hybrid? It's not all 3 woods that I struggle hitting, just the one I currently own as the shaft is too heavy and long so I can't hit middle to save my life. I tested the hybrid and 3 wood at a local golf shop with a simulator and the results were better with the hybrid, but I dont see many players using a hybrid in place of a 3 wood.

Edited by freshmanUTA

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, freshmanUTA said:

This may or may not be a common question, but I tend to hit a Nike 3 Hybrid around 255 yards in the air with around 6000 RPM's of spin. Because of the shorter and whippier shaft I feel like I can really unload on the hybrid and still find the middle, but It spins a lot and I fear that may cause me to lose many shots to wind, on top of this because its a hybrid, my mishits can really send the ball high in the air with very short carry(around 190 if im lucky, usually 178.8 average). I currently struggle to hit the 3 wood that I own and when I do hit it it goes the same distance as my driver. Because of this, I'm thinking about replacing my 3 wood with my hybrid semi-permanently and using the hybrid because It fits my gapping a little better as my 3 iron usually carries 238 average so the extra 17 yards are about what I need from that far out. What exactly would the benefits be to using a 3 wood as opposed to the hybrid? It's not all 3 woods that I struggle hitting, just the one I currently own as the shaft is too heavy and long so I can't hit middle to save my life. I tested the hybrid and 3 wood at a local golf shop with a simulator and the results were better with the hybrid, but I dont see many players using a hybrid in place of a 3 wood.

Me neither. Because the hybrid isn't really meant as a wood replacement.

Have you thought about a shorter shaft in your 3-wood? Is it a contact issue? Or an, oh my god, this club has no loft issue?

Edited by onthehunt526

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

(edited)
17 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Me neither. Because the hybrid isn't really meant as a wood replacement.

Have you thought about a shorter shaft in your 3-wood? Is it a contact issue? Or an, oh my god, this club has no loft issue?

I have, I've tried different 3 woods with shorter lighter shafts and have had a ton of improvement but unfortunately money is tight and i'd rather spend it playing and practicing than on new clubs. I bolded a part of your response, I'm asking why it isn't. Is it a crazy idea? What are the downsides? I guess my question is: The club goes the distance I want my 3 wood to go, should I really care if I take the 3 wood out?

Edited by freshmanUTA

Need more specs. Typically 3 wood should be a safer club to replace driver. If you hit hybrid better something is probably wrong with 3w. Consider heavier amd/or shoeter shaft or higher loft on 3wood. Post your specs for better input

3 hours ago, BTK531 said:

Need more specs. Typically 3 wood should be a safer club to replace driver. If you hit hybrid better something is probably wrong with 3w. Consider heavier amd/or shoeter shaft or higher loft on 3wood. Post your specs for better input

Okay, here is my issue with the whole 3-wood replacing driver... You're losing the head forgiveness of the driver to get a shorter shaft in the driver. If you're having trouble with the driver, why not just shorten the driver shaft? I did.

@freshmanUTA If you want to take the 3-wood out, go ahead. Hell, I don't even carry a 3-wood, I carry a 4-wood. I can hit a 3-wood, however I hit the 4-wood better... that and my 4-wood is like a goddamn cannon... My 4-wood is also shorter than standard. (42") I value better contact over the potential of a higher clubhead speed... my ball speed is higher with the shorter driver and 4-wood.

Hilariously, if you go by my static fitting numbers, 6'5" tall, 36.25" wrist-to-floor... I should be playing a 46" driver and 43.5" 4-wood... I'm playing 2" shorter than static with driver and 1.5" shorter than static fitting with 4-wood... am I crazy? Probably. But my 275 yard nutted drives will be please me... because they won't happen one in ten... probably closer to 1 in 4 or 5... probably 260 normally...I crush my 4-wood and hybrid as well.... My 20° is a rocket, but I can work it both ways, hit it 190 if want, etc.

Stick with the hybrid for now. When you can get some money together, and it's not so tight, get a 3-wood with a shorter lighter shaft to fit your game better... If the Nike hybrid is filling the gap better than the 3-wood, Ditch the 3-wood.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

16 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

... I tested the hybrid and 3 wood at a local golf shop with a simulator and the results were better with the hybrid, but I dont see many players using a hybrid in place of a 3 wood.

My home course hosted a recent PGA Player Ability Test. Two weeks ahead, I played with a young assistant pro who was getting ready for his PAT.

He carried a Driver, 2H and 4H for his long clubs - no fairway wood. On our two shorter Par 5 holes, he had more than enough distance to get home in two using hybrids. He found what worked for him.

In the senior group I play with, we have a guy who carries a 3W but never uses it. He's a decent player and breaks 80 on occasion, but uses only hybrids for long shots.

As @onthehunt526 has suggested, you might try a 4W. Many people hit it better - and sometimes longer - than a 3W.

@freshmanUTA, you might find a FW you can use for extra distance on certain courses you play. Ony put it in the bag if it would help you that day.

• Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I guess I'm lucky cause I hit the hell out of my 3 wood. I wouldn't change it out for anything and I do carry hybrids but nothing goes like my 3 wood off the deck or tee. But if you are hitting your Nike hybrid 255 yards I guess you can leave the 3 wood at home especially if you do not have confidence in it. I've gotten rid of a lot of clubs because of lack of confidence in them. They are all sitting in my garage.

Note: This thread is 2205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!