IGNORED

Getting back to Golf after a Heart Attack

Chanceman
Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently had a decent heart attack (incurred while waching the Masters on TV!!) and am now faced with a little while off golf. Has  anyone had to do this and how long did it take to get back to a normal schedule. And what did you have to do to recover strength etc. in my case I had a stent inserted rather than valves etc so not totally disasterous!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

I recently had a decent heart attack (incurred while waching the Masters on TV!!) and am now faced with a little while off golf. Has  anyone had to do this and how long did it take to get back to a normal schedule. And what did you have to do to recover strength etc. in my case I had a stent inserted rather than valves etc so not totally disasterous!!

Cant help here, but just wanted to say glad your alright. Take it easy getting back into it. 

Glad you made it through your health event. As for how long you pre-golf rehab is, that's up to your doctor. I suspect he has treated other golfers, and knows what's going on. 

A member of our golf group had heart attack, and it took 9 months before he even picked up a putter. It took him another 6 months before he was back out playing. He never regained his level of play he had before his HA. 

When he did start his new golf journey, he took it slow, and easy, basically going from putting to swinging his driver. He went backwards from green to tee. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 3 months later...

I had a stent in my right coronary artery 4 years  ago. I was back at work in about 10 days.  I didn't play golf at that time, but i probably could have. the doctors didn't put any limitations on me. Talk to your doctor about this. they like for hart patients to walk a lot. find out if you are able to walk nine holes a few days a week. Unless there are other complications, your doctor will probably go along with this. I am back playing golf, and have had no problems playing or practicing. Just clear it with your doctor first.

I was playing golf less than 2 months after having a number to stents (7) put in 3 arteries.  Check with your cardiologist to make sure all is ok with the stents and as I was told, just don't sign up for the tour just yet.  Not as much time off as if you had had a bypass.

Very happy to hear to have gained heath back!!!

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had a heart attack and had a stent put in.  I too am keen to hear of others experiences in the area.

I feel pretty good but know I have to ease back into exercise - taking doctors advice is probably the plan.

Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!