IGNORED

New Old clubs

Note: This thread is 2179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started out playing Ping Eye2's. Very forgiving but hard to tell where on the face I made impact. Switched to blades ... now I know exactly where I made impact. Improved my swing in the process. I do not always make perfect impact but I know how to adjust & can now work the ball. I play either Titleist 681's or Miura. Nice to be able to keep my gaps correct & not have to carry (5) wedges ... as more modern clubs have a case of 'vanishing loft disease'.

18 hours ago, amished said:

T I hit a 4 iron out of it last night with little problem, but the 3 iron is something that's probably only going to be for teeshots/fairways (probably be my money spender next year, getting fit and finding a replacement..  Probably be a 5 wood or something..)

Don't give up on the 3i yet.  Depending on the rest of your setup, you should be able to keep it in the bag if you hit it good.

I have D, 2 & 4 W, 3-PW, 52 & 58 n putter.  Got all the gaps and distances covered!

20 minutes ago, moonlight said:

I started out playing Ping Eye2's. Very forgiving but hard to tell where on the face I made impact. Switched to blades ... now I know exactly where I made impact. Improved my swing in the process. I do not always make perfect impact but I know how to adjust & can now work the ball. I play either Titleist 681's or Miura. Nice to be able to keep my gaps correct & not have to carry (5) wedges ... as more modern clubs have a case of 'vanishing loft disease'.

:beer:  Another Eye 2 player.  Were they steel or Copper?  I have both and love the Copper ones.

Curious what you play for Miura's as I game them too.  MC102's.  Sweet club with a nice buttery feel!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My old - new to me situation started a joke (novelty) to be honest.

I`ve only ever played blades and recently I have two 'old' blade sets I play on the regular.

Wilson X31 Custom Forged and Wilson FG-17 Tour Blades. both got new shafts and grips.

I'm just not a GI iron guy. My ball striking wont get any better if I am forgiven for a bad strike. That`s just my opinion.

As an added bonus, it drives my playing partners crazy when I outscore them consistently with 36 year old equipment.

If you can consistently score in the low to mid 80`s as a weekend warrior with old irons, and dead stop it attacking the pin, Id say do it to it bud!

Been able to play some practice rounds, still not sold on the 3i.  I can hit it well, there just aren't as many situations that I would want to hit it that pop up on my normal courses.  I'm in a place where I don't think I can hit it out of the rough reliably so I'd rather go with a 4 or 5 iron, and generally I feel like I can hit my 3 wood off the deck well so fairway and a long way away is covered by that.

There definitely is a gap between what I can hit/normally hit my 3 wood and my 4 iron, that distance just normally doesn't come up a lot where I play.  I think investing in a 5 wood (I don't like the head shape of hybrid clubs...) might be the path for me to cover that gap but still think I can hit it out of the rough with good distance.  Or perhaps I have to just play with it more and figure out which situations that I've been missing out on or not seeing because of my reticence to play a 3 iron shot.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!