IGNORED

What's the Most Unusual Hole You Have Played?

Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sometimes I think the architect designed himself into a corner and there had to be a hole somewhere so this is what he came up with.

This is the ninth hole on the Fortuna del Rey GC in Yuma, AZ. It's 551 yards long, dogleg left, and what a dogleg! 220 yards from the tee it turns about 120 degrees toward the green. In the corner is an 80-foot-high hill with people's living rooms on top, so there's no cutting the corner allowed.

Fortunab.jpg

21 minutes ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

In the corner is an 80-foot-high hill with people's living rooms on top, so there's no cutting the corner allowed.

Tell that to the big hitters on 17 at St. Andrews. :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Tobacco Road #18, no make that #9, maybe I meant #16, or was it #11, or #1

wait now I remember it was #13 ... well you get the idea

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The strangest one for me is up near Vale , Oregon. It's on a coverterted pasture and is a par 3, 110 yards. 

From the tee you can't see the pin, since it is about 60' below the tee, in the bottom of an old wash. 

There is a heavy canopy of trees between the tee, and the green, that's basically the same height as the tee. Above the green is clear. To land on the green you have fly the ball over the trees, and drop the ball down onto the green, through the over head opening. 

On another note, I have played alot of tee shots to blind landing areas. Those types of holes seem strange to me. 

5 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Sometimes I think the architect designed himself into a corner and there had to be a hole somewhere so this is what he came up with.

This is the ninth hole on the Fortuna del Rey GC in Yuma, AZ. It's 551 yards long, dogleg left, and what a dogleg! 220 yards from the tee it turns about 120 degrees toward the green. In the corner is an 80-foot-high hill with people's living rooms on top, so there's no cutting the corner allowed.

Fortunab.jpg

I have played this course a couple of times. Broke 80 both times IIRC

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The 18th at Kingwood CC (Island Course) is a little weird and is very difficult. "island" fairway and "island" Green. Other than that I haven't really played a lot of "unusual holes". I have played unique, but nothing that strikes me with the question "What the heck was this guy thinking?" when he designed it. Nothing Jim Engh Unusual...yet. 

Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!