IGNORED

Shafts - too stiff = hook?

Note: This thread is 6843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just picked up a 904F three wood with a stiff graphite shaft as mentioned here:

http://www.hookedongolfblog.com/?p=324

I have hit it about 8 times now, 3 from the fairway and the rest teed up. Overall I love it but have one question: The ball flight tends to draw. I've hit two straight, one hook, and the rest had about a 10 yard draw. This is not normal for me - I hit a straight ball with a tendency to fade it.

Is it the shaft? Does this mean the shaft is too stiff?

All else being equal - Does a stiff shaft make the ball tend to draw?

If I reshafted it with a fishing pole would I get my fade back?

Or is it the other way around (the shaft is not stiff enough)?

Here is my question:

Stiff shaft = Hook
Flexible shaft = Slice
or is that backwards?

-Rich

I am not complaining about having a draw - I am just thinking about picking up a newer 983 driver and dont want that to draw (so I should go with x-stiff)

I think it is the other way. I'm not sure on this either but when I hit my wife's clubs at the range (less flex of course) I tend to pull it.

Driver: 913D2, 9.5°
3-Wood: V-Steel, 15°
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP, 19°
Irons: MP-64, 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM 54.10, 60.08 Putter: Studio Style Newport 2

Ball: ProV1

Generally speaking a shaft too stiff will cut or slice because the shaft doesn't give enough or create enough whip for the club head to come back to square.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find it to be if I am used to using a flexible shaft and then go to a stiff shaft I will tend to draw it for a few shots, but then it straightens back out. My guess is that it varies from person to person.

In the Bag:

Wilson Fat Boy Driver
Callaway Steelhead 3 & 5 Wood (Steel Shaft)
3 & 5-SW Callaway X-1452 degree WedgeAdams Golf 60 Degree WedgePing B60 PutterOther Optional Clubs:Callaway Steelhead 1 WoodCleveland 60 degree wedgeAdams Golf 56 Degree WedgesWilson Blackjack PutterBall: ...

I don't know the science of the proper shaft stiffness vs. swing speed, but from my experience with "avg" swing speed I found the soft shaft (R or L flex) will produce a slice for me. Going between S and X shafts didn't really change the left/right tendency... Ballflight is lower with X and I found it (on my 3W) the dispersion between shots is much smaller - more balls are within 10yds of target than S shaft.
Find a launch monitor and have yourself tested. Don't belive blindly all the manufacturer description, recommended swing speeds etc. Science is good, but experience is more gooder

• Administrator

Stiffer = slice. That much is just about true, if you put your normal swing on it. I can slice the hell out of a regular-flex shaft, too, but the tendency - with your normal swing - is for the ball to move left.

You said a stiff shaft, but the difference between the YS-6 and the Speeder and the Aldila (etc.) - all in the same flex - is very pronounced in that club... so which shaft exactly?

The club is square and neutrally weighted, so there's no draw bias built into the clubhead. I can tell you that much.

(P.S. I assure you that I find it only slightly amusing that you're wondering about your 10-yard draw. Just enjoy it! )

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!