IGNORED

What kind of camera do you use? + request for free advice

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

a. What kind of camera or cameras do you use?

b. Do you have any recommendations for one that might fit my needs?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right now I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 7900 (digital, 7.1 Megapixels, 3X zoom) - basically a good camera for nice snapshots.

It's a pretty good camera for most of my photo needs, but it's impossible to use for action golf shots, e.g. if I want to get a shot of My Honorable Opponent & his driver as it makes contact with his Titleist Pro V1x, I can't do that; with my camera there is an indeterminate delay between when I punch the button and when the picture is taken (when the "shutter snaps") so it's impossible for me to know when to push the button.

My guess is I'd need a digital SLR but wouldn't want a state of the art top of the line camera since I don't have unlimited funds but I could probably justify $800 or so.

Thanks for the free advice!

Canon PowerShot A650 IS. This camera is great, it does an "action mode" where it will take pictures in a sequence, such as the golf swing. It also does video for swing analysis.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

• Administrator
An SLR is really what you need. Most point-and-shoot cameras are going to give you that problem of severe lag. I use a Canon 40D. Here is an example of a nice DSLR for $600:

I second that and have a Canon 5D myself.

To the OP: But if you want a point-and-shoot, the Canon SD550 and its replacements (the SD550 is a few years old) works well for me. Even does 60 FPS video at 320 x 240 - a good size for recording your golf swing. You can even submit it to us for Swing Check. The Canon SD line is good if you want a P&S.;

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As iacas posted the SD series from Canon is great, I helped my folks pick one out and played with it last weekend and it's actually pretty good for P&S.; It was the SD750 the thing I told them was to get the larger of the LCD's screens their getting older so it's easy for them to configure it and just looking at pictures is a heck of a lot better than on my 20D!

It's tough to tell on mine with the small LCD I take so many shots and come to find out the one I thought was good was actually out of focus just a hair. It might be time to update bodies for me.
In the bag:

Driver: 905R 9.5* NV-Stiff
Woods: (Tour Issue) 906f2 15* Speeder-Stiff
Irons: 695CBWedges: Vokey 252.08, Vokey Spin Milled 256.14Putter: Studio Stainless 2.5 (35 1/2" 350g)Ball: Pro V1x (Low #'s)

Definitely take the advice and go the SLR route. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. I have a Nikon D80 and have no complaints whatsoever.

Do some research, put them in your hands and make the decision for yourself. The main reason I went with Nikon is because I liked how it felt and I have a friend here that has some higher end equipment that I can borrow from time to time.

Go SLR though. It's a bit more expensive, but you will not regret it. There are plenty used (and new) SLRs that you can get for under $800. Used D80's and a lens can be had for less than that and would give you a good start.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another recommendation for a digital SLR. I have a Nikon D40x, which is currently the entry level model for Nikon and it currently runs $700-800 I think. The Canon Rebel XTi was the alternative I was considering.

i have a new Sony Cybershot-has the action shot, still shots, video, can focus on a spot and won't leave it, very steady.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!