IGNORED

The Art of Golf by Sir Walter Grindlay Simpson

EastCoastOffense
Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, 

I lurked around here quite a bit some years ago, but never went as far as making an account (which I've just done).  So, here's my first post, one that will probably handily establish me as sufficiently far gone in the golfing universe. 

On page 42 of Sir Simpson's wonderful book (which I was directed to by Ernest Jones' Swing the Clubhead) he makes a statement that I would like to understand.  He says, "Abandon body and will to hitting, and the hidden secret of the mystic 27 1\2 shall be revealed."  Does anybody know what this means?  I have a feeling it refers to something in his era of the game, but it is with good humor that I allow my uninitiated sensibilities to regard it as some kind of cryptic secret of golf wizardry.  Whatever it means, I'm interested to know.  

Anyone?  And thank you!

• Administrator

No idea, but I don’t know what 27 1/2 refers to either. Not really an EJ fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, EastCoastOffense said:

He says, "Abandon body and will to hitting, and the hidden secret of the mystic 27 1\2 shall be revealed." 

I think the answer is found in the Book of Daniel.😎 Best of luck in your search, -Marv

• Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

4 hours ago, EastCoastOffense said:

Hello everyone, 

I lurked around here quite a bit some years ago, but never went as far as making an account (which I've just done).  So, here's my first post, one that will probably handily establish me as sufficiently far gone in the golfing universe. 

On page 42 of Sir Simpson's wonderful book (which I was directed to by Ernest Jones' Swing the Clubhead) he makes a statement that I would like to understand.  He says, "Abandon body and will to hitting, and the hidden secret of the mystic 27 1\2 shall be revealed."  Does anybody know what this means?  I have a feeling it refers to something in his era of the game, but it is with good humor that I allow my uninitiated sensibilities to regard it as some kind of cryptic secret of golf wizardry.  Whatever it means, I'm interested to know.  

Anyone?  And thank you!

PM @Jack Watson....I’m sure you’ll get more than you can ever want...😃

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Manuel said it’s your job to swing the club and the clubs job to hit the ball.

Lotta wisdom there.  Ams grip pressure tightens through impact more than pros.

Abandoning the body means using your mind the way it was designed.  Search internal vs external focus for modern info.  All good science.  

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Manuel said it’s your job to swing the club and the clubs job to hit the ball.

Lotta wisdom there.  Ams grip pressure tightens through impact more than pros.

Abandoning the body means using your mind the way it was designed.  Search internal vs external focus for modern info.  All good science.  

Yes sir, and thank you.  But I am asking specifically about the 27 1/2 part.  Any idea what he might have meant by that?

14 minutes ago, EastCoastOffense said:

Yes sir, and thank you.  But I am asking specifically about the 27 1/2 part.  Any idea what he might have meant by that?

No.  I do know though that there’s no secret or angle or number that can do anything in golf.  The swinging action must be learned through feel as EJ said.

Search Ron Sisson for a guy that gets it but don’t take his or anyone’s words written or otherwise as gospel regarding a matter that must be learned for ones own self by feel in order to realize anything of use,

Golf swing is not a math problem.

Good luck,  friend,  the road can be long.

That long ago...the mystic 27 1/2 could have been a cleek.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

That was my best guess, too, something to do with the length of a club. 

If you haven't read the book, I'll tell you that it is written in that old-world English (which I happen to regard as beautiful) and is loaded with antiquated phrases and such, but of all the anachronisms in it, I find this one the most perplexing.  

And, by the way, I certainly don't think he was talking about some kind of swing secret; I just love learning about the history of the game, and this reference clearly went over my head.

Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!