IGNORED

Bobby Bonilla's Pay Day

Patch
Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's Bobby Bonilla's annual MLB pay day. Probably the best contract ever written, an accepted for an athlete. 

He gets $1.19+ million dollars a year that started in 2011, and will end in 2035. The original contract was for a little over $5 million. Due to some technicalities, his agent was able to get that original $5+ mil contract spread out over 24 years, at 8%.

Good for him.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't followed baseball in a long while but I love this story.  

I realize I could Google this question, but experience has shown me that baseball fans like talking about these things.  How does this affect the salary cap?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I realize I could Google this question, but experience has shown me that baseball fans like talking about these things.  How does this affect the salary cap?

What salary cap?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

What salary cap?

I thought baseball had a salary cap.  I guess from your response MLB doesn't?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Shindig said:

No.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Patch said:

It's Bobby Bonilla's annual MLB pay day. Probably the best contract ever written, an accepted for an athlete. 

He gets $1.19+ million dollars a year that started in 2011, and will end in 2035. The original contract was for a little over $5 million. Due to some technicalities, his agent was able to get that original $5+ mil contract spread out over 24 years, at 8%.

Good for him.

My mistake. It is every year, on July 1st, for 25 years. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Patch said:

My mistake. It is every year, on July 1st, for 25 years. 

He also gets paid for something else, Baltimore, for 15 years or something IIRC.

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

They have some kind of, I guess you’d call it a “soft” salary cap.  There is a number that you are allowed to go above but when you do you pay a luxury tax.  There are like a half dozen teams, I think, that routinely go above the cap. (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers for certain)

On 7/1/2018 at 7:05 PM, Golfingdad said:

There are like a half dozen teams, I think, that routinely go above the cap. (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers for certain)

The Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox are the only ones that "routinely" go over.  The payroll imbalance is pretty insane.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:23 PM, iacas said:

He also gets paid for something else, Baltimore, for 15 years or something IIRC.

Yup:

And now get ready for the real kicker. Gilbert recently sat down with ESPN for a new digital series for FiveThirtyEight, "Contracts," debuting later this summer. He said that Bonilla actually has another deferred deal with the Mets that makes another $12.5 million. It was part of his first deal with the team that ran from 1992 to 1996. The $29 million deal made Bonilla the highest-salaried player in baseball at the time. Part of the deal was to defer some money, which resulted in Bonilla getting $500,000 a year from 2004 through 2023. The Mets shipped Bonilla to the Orioles for the last season and a half of that deal, so they split the fare with Baltimore.

- John

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

There are a lot more than just Bobby Bonilla, apparently.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, Golfingdad said:

They have some kind of, I guess you’d call it a “soft” salary cap.  There is a number that you are allowed to go above but when you do you pay a luxury tax.  There are like a half dozen teams, I think, that routinely go above the cap. (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers for certain)

Watch the  movie "moneyball" and you will get a better understanding of what happens in pro sports with no cap.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!