IGNORED

New Iron Set Recommendation

Note: This thread is 2105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking at replacing my ancient iron clubs with something newer. I’ll spend on the high end probably 900 or 1000 but don’t want to if I don’t have to. I’ve read good things of tour edge clubs but looks like they have different tiers of clubs. Looking for steel shaft and regular irons no hybrids. I’m not really up to date on new technology when it comes to golf clubs and I don’t have a specific brand. The irons I own now are star flite Ram irons. I’m looking for a set starting with a 3 iron to PW. Any recommendations and personal reviews would be much appreciated. 

But I also don’t want to buy junk. The clubs i have I bought when I was around 12 and a pawn shop for $50. Heck the woods when I bought it were still made of wood. But those woods are long gone now. I don’t have a problem with my irons right now there just starting to get beat up pretty bad. Even the shafts are showing signs of rust. So I’m sure anything I buy will fee a lot better then 1980’s technology to me but I’ve been golfing more and more now and would like to get a decent set to last me awhile again. 

I’m good on woods I just need an iron set. I don’t use a driver because I’m no good at at I’ve been teeing off with a 3 iron for most of my golf outing but recently bought a used 1 iron from the shop I go to so I can’t wait to see how that goes.

If you are going to spend that much on new irons the answer pretty much everyone is going to give is: go to a place with a good fitter and hit a lot of clubs and see what is best for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You also didn't mention your handicap or your typical score. Like if you played a strict round of golf what would you shoot for 18? It's a big question in narrowing down what kind of category of clubs you should be looking at in general e.g. super game improvement, game improvement, player's irons, etc.

5 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

You also didn't mention your handicap or your typical score. Like if you played a strict round of golf what would you shoot for 18? It's a big question in narrowing down what kind of category of clubs you should be looking at in general e.g. super game improvement, game improvement, player's irons, etc.

Lol I have no idea what a handicap is. I know I usually play 9 holes and on my best day I’ll be 4 over par. On a bad day I can be 10 to 12 over. So average somewhere in between there. Now I haven’t golfed much in the past 5 years maybe once or twice a summer but I’m going to start playing a lot more when I can. I want to buy a set a clubs that’s of good quality And won’t have to worry about getting a new set of clubs for awhile again. 

I usually screw my score up on the putting green

1 hour ago, Bungiex88 said:

Lol I have no idea what a handicap is. I know I usually play 9 holes and on my best day I’ll be 4 over par. On a bad day I can be 10 to 12 over. So average somewhere in between there. Now I haven’t golfed much in the past 5 years maybe once or twice a summer but I’m going to start playing a lot more when I can. I want to buy a set a clubs that’s of good quality And won’t have to worry about getting a new set of clubs for awhile again. 

I usually screw my score up on the putting green

I think the Maltby Playability Factor or MPF is a pretty cool system and from what I've seen and experienced probably pretty accurate. Not sure what the more experienced guys here think about it though, but I'd be curious to find out.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

Anyhow if you click on each brand and then look through their iron sets you will see on the right most side the MPF number and then what category that coordinates to. The description of the categories is on the main page. Maybe look for something in the game improvement to super game improvement area. This is just to give you an idea of what clubs to try hitting when you make it into the golf shop though. The numbers they give you will trump anything.

58 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

This is just to give you an idea of what clubs to try hitting when you make it into the golf shop though. The numbers they give you will trump anything.

Yes. I bought my current used Mizuno irons on the basis of reviews (esp. MyGolfSpy), Maltby and hitting with a monitor. Interesting that all three pushed me toward the Mizunos. Good number, high MPF rating that I needed, and good reviews. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

7 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

Yes. I bought my current used Mizuno irons on the basis of reviews (esp. MyGolfSpy), Maltby and hitting with a monitor. Interesting that all three pushed me toward the Mizunos. Good number, high MPF rating that I needed, and good reviews. Best, -Marv

Yeah I think with so many iron sets out there targeted at so many different levels MPF can be invaluable in picking a reasonable number of sets within that category with which to hit and get feedback on.

You score better than I do, but as mentioned, go try them all out.

I had my mind made up on Callaway this year.  All the reviews etc pointed me there.

Went into the store, hit 5 balls and hated them.

Swung the Ping G30s and loved them.  Swung a bunch of others, including the G400s, and decided on the 30s.  Certainly not the best clubs, nor the latest and greatest, but felt best in my hands.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

-

On top of that...

My suggestion is to do what I did, play with friends that have updated clubs and hit them while playing, see how you like them and do what everyone else is suggesting as well. Its pretty much a given, newer tech drivers, irons, gripsis by far greater than say 10 years back, by far.

Then of course, get fitted for them. Good luck.

Btw All that said, this year in Jan I shot the best round ever with a set of Tommy Armours 845 (quarter to nines ha ha) that I played with 25 years go with an old malot Odyssey putter I paid $20 for. Long story short, I needed and set to take down to Naples and left it at my buddy Billy's that just joined the Everglades CC. Early morning hours, we played with the Pro who suggested early mornings always play the whites (6700) , ball doesn't roll as much, tips 7400. I shot a 38/38 ten pars, I birdie, rest bogies beat the pro by a stroke.

As my old time coach Marty "LongBall" Joyce always says "its the Indian shooting the Arrows not the Arrows... 

Wedges I.jpg

Edited by PeterB

6 hours ago, Dry Tortuga said:

Tour Edge clubs are worth checking out.

Yes the guy at the shop was saying he’s been selling a lot of them. I was looking at the tour edge hl3 irons. Was trying to find the mpf rating of them but can’t find it anywhere 

18 hours ago, Bungiex88 said:

Yes the guy at the shop was saying he’s been selling a lot of them. I was looking at the tour edge hl3 irons. Was trying to find the mpf rating of them but can’t find it anywhere 

Those are the hot launch?

I think the Exotics are better and not crazy expensive.

🍩🧇

• iacas changed the title to New Iron Set Recommendation
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided on tour edge hot launch 3. Went and tested them out and was able to hit further and softer with the new ones compared to my old 60’s clubs. Going to get fitted on Friday. It might be hard to retire my old clubs since I’ve been using them since 1999

Note: This thread is 2105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!