IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open OWGR Field Strength Ranking is BLANK - Why?

Frank-0-Sport
Note: This thread is 2105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just noticed something odd at the Official World Golf Ranking web-site. The Field Strength (SoF) rating for the 2018 U.S. Open, previously listed as 855, is now BLANK , as well as the two components which result in the SoF rank figure, these being World Rating and Home Rating.

See for yourself here -- OWGR Events Page, filters adjusted to show just the 2018 Major Championships

Because of the blank fields in question, the 2018 U.S. Open doesn't appear on the OWGR's PGA Tour or European PGA Tour pages

Does anyone here happen to know why this is happening? Would the Phil Mickelson moving ball incident somehow be playing a part in this?

BTW - As said above, the 2018 U.S. Open's Field Strength (SoF) had previously been listed as 855. By comparison, the 2018 Masters had a Field Strength of 794, and this week's 147th Open Championship is projected (so far) to have a Field Strength of 901, which would make it the top such ranked event of 2018 so far, with the PGA Championship and WGC-Bridgestone still to come.

Edited by Frank-0-Sport

This is what is says on The Open page for Hossler, although I'm not sure what that means
Although it sounds like they treated that finish as if it was part of the USA qualifying series

On June 24 he was a joint runner-up behind Bubba Watson at the Travelers Championships and moved up to 64th in the world, good enough to earn him a call-up to The Open off the rankings when spare places became available.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Does anyone here happen to know why this is happening? Would the Phil Mickelson moving ball incident somehow be playing a part in this?

No idea, but there's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.  I suggest you ask them.

1 hour ago, brocks said:

No idea, but there's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.  I suggest you ask them.

Thanks -- I should have thought of that myself. Even so, I still wanted to post here thinking that someone might know what the story was.

Let me point out that the Mickelson Incident may not have any bearing on why the U.S. Open OWGR Field Strength (SoF) ranking elements are blank. However, there is this to consider ---

I have noted that on some occasions, the Field Strength (SoF) rating of a tournament is sometimes re-adjusted after its initial posting on the OWGR web-site because of player withdrawals prior to the start play. I am not aware of any post-tournament re-adjustments, and I do not know what OWGR rules (if any) come into play should there be an in-tournament withdrawal or a disqualification, or a disqualification after the tournament is done.

Of course, the blank fields may just be a glitch on the part of whoever maintains the OWGR site. We'll see. At any rate, I will follow thru on the "Contact Us" suggestion and see what happens with that..

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Let me point out that the Mickelson Incident may not have any bearing on why the U.S. Open OWGR Field Strength (SoF) ranking elements are blank. However, there is this to consider ---

That's not something to consider at all. The Mickelson thing was a non-issue for OWGR stuff.

He did that in the third round, after all, and even if he did it with his opening tee shot of the first round, he was still "in the field."

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Thanks -- I should have thought of that myself. Even so, I still wanted to post here thinking that someone might know what the story was.

No worries, I wasn't trying to be snarky, and I'm curious about it myself.  Especially this week, when I am likely to get into discussions about the strength of field in majors, past and present. 

Regarding Phil, I don't see how a player getting a penalty could affect either his ranking or the strength of field once play starts, unless it's so serious that he is kicked out of the PGA or something.

• Like 1

(edited)
6 hours ago, brocks said:

It's back, 780 + 75 = 855.

Indeed it is -- And I also see that the 147th Open Championship's Field Strength (SoF) has gone up a hair to 902, from 901.

OWGR Events Page, with filters adjusted for PGA Tour (USA) -- Mouse-toggle "SoF" so that event rank display is highest to lowest.

So. if all remains as is by conclusion of play on Sunday, the PGA Tour's Top 10 Events in OWGR Field Strength would be as follows ....

1. The 147th Open Championship .. 902
2. The U.S. Open ......... 855
3. The Players Championship .... 854
4. The Masters Tournament ..... 794
5. WGC Dell Match Play ......... 733
6. WGC Mexico City ......... 679
7. The Memorial Tournament .... 652

8. Genesis-Los Angeles .... 500
9. Wells Fargo Ch. ......... 492
10. W.M. Phoenix Open .... 477

Edited by Frank-0-Sport

Note: This thread is 2105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!