IGNORED

The flagstick

Effington
Note: This thread is 2114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I was wondering what are the rationales for wanting a flagstick pulled/tended if it was not required (on the green).  I would have thought that the flagstick would help your ball go in more than not.  This study also seemed to agree, as long as it's not leaning in towards you (to shrink the hole):  http://www.golf.com/instruction/flag-or-out

Also, a quick google search led me to this, saying that a new rule for 2019 says you can always have the flagstick in:  http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/ball-played-from-the-putting-green-hits-unattended-flagstick-in-hole.html

So, would there ever be a reason to have the flagstick pulled/tended, save for if it's leaning towards you?

Tended...yes.  On long putts it is easier for me to roll the ball over to a person rather than a hole in the ground.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Effington said:

Hey guys, I was wondering what are the rationales for wanting a flagstick pulled/tended if it was not required (on the green).  I would have thought that the flagstick would help your ball go in more than not.  This study also seemed to agree, as long as it's not leaning in towards you (to shrink the hole):  http://www.golf.com/instruction/flag-or-out

Also, a quick google search led me to this, saying that a new rule for 2019 says you can always have the flagstick in:  http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/ball-played-from-the-putting-green-hits-unattended-flagstick-in-hole.html

So, would there ever be a reason to have the flagstick pulled/tended, save for if it's leaning towards you?

Usually if I am chipping up hill I will have it pulled since it will be losing speed (hopefully) as it gets to the hole.  When I am chipping downhill I will leave it in to use the flag as a backstop.  If you are off the green, tending the flag isn’t an option, it either has to be in or out. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Grinde6 said:

Usually if I am chipping up hill I will have it pulled since it will be losing speed (hopefully) as it gets to the hole.

That's probably cost you some strokes. I recommend leaving it in when you're off the green.

8 hours ago, Grinde6 said:

If you are off the green, tending the flag isn’t an option, it either has to be in or out. 

Yes it is. You can have the flag tended at any time.

8 hours ago, Effington said:

Hey guys, I was wondering what are the rationales for wanting a flagstick pulled/tended if it was not required (on the green).

This is another good topic:

The new 2019 rule is dumb, IMO, and will lead to slower play among people who understand the advantage the flagstick often provides (while almost never acting as a disadvantage).

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's probably cost you some strokes. I recommend leaving it in when you're off the green.

Yes it is. You can have the flag tended at any time.

This is another good topic:

The new 2019 rule is dumb, IMO, and will lead to slower play among people who understand the advantage the flagstick often provides (while almost never acting as a disadvantage).

I meant for me as far as tending the pin from off the green goes.  I hate someone standing by the pin when I am putting or chipping.  

Do you think that the amount of strokes it has cost me taking it out on uphill chips negates with the amount it has cost me on downhill chips that have glanced off the pin and stayed out?

I’ll have to take a look at that thread.  The picture looks interesting. 

• Administrator
Just now, Grinde6 said:

Do you think that the amount of strokes it has cost me taking it out on uphill chips negates with the amount it has cost me on downhill chips that have glanced off the pin and stayed out?

I doubt it's actually cost you any where near as many strokes as you probably think.

The physics says otherwise. Balls that don't go in the hole with the flagstick in were highly unlikely to go in with the flagstick out. Capture speed is slower than people realize. The flagstick almost always helps or does nothing to hurt you. Like 98% of the time. The times it hurts you are mostly in two cases: the flagstick leans so much a ball won't fit, or it's thrashing about in high winds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!