IGNORED

alcohol and golf

golfEnthusiast
Note: This thread is 5871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It all depends on the day and the mood, most the time I golf sober but sometimes when I'm with friends I'll take a flask of bourbon. But even when it's helping... there is always a point of diminishing returns, knowing when that 'point' occurs is the real trick

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

This depends on the mood and weather. Sometimes I will not drink, sometimes I will have 2-3 over 18 holes. Nothing enough to get me more that a sligh buzz. I really hate when I get a buzz then it goes away, then I feel like I play bad. So if I do drink I drink it slow and nurse it. 75% of the tiem though I wait until after the round to drink.

How does it affect me? Depends on the pace....

One Miller Lite every 3 holes seems to be alright....
This depends on the mood and weather.

Definitely! And depends on who I am playing with if anybody.

I haven't done this since college, but Michelob used to (and probably still does) make an 18 pack. 18 holes, 18 beers. The par 3s were killer.

Now, depending on the mood I will have anywhere from 0-4 beers in a round, with the exception of one tournament I play in where it is an all out party.

If I'm scrambling with some buddies and just messing around, then we consume a good bit of beer. We actually have a game where we drink a beer per hole (not for the weak hearted). We also play a team birdies and the other team doesn't cover, they have to shotgun a beer. We tend to need designated drivers on these days.

Any other day, I save the beer for the clubhouse.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

For the most part, no drinking while playing golf. I have had a few on occasion when I was playing a practice round with some friends. Most of my rounds are competitive though, either in a tournament or for money so I need to stay sharp. Plus, isn't that what they invented bowling for?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Plus, isn't that what they invented bowling for?

Exactly!! And that's why I bowl! (That made me laugh NM)

Unfortunately, my buddies still think that golf is strictly for drinking purposes.

I NEVER drink while I golf. In fact, my stomach is so bad now, I rarely drink a beer at dinner time. Alcohol just kills me.

I will say, however, I don't see HOW in the world that alcohol can help someone's game. Maybe if they were nervous it could relax them, but I would hate see someone using alcohol just too calm the nerves during a golf game.

I played a scramble with some buddies a few years back. ANd of course they had the hot chics on nearly every hole with alcohol. I had a couple drinks with the fellas that day. Played HORRIBLE. Worse than normal I should say!!!

Plus, isn't that what they invented bowling for?

Exactly!! And that's why I bowl! (That made me laugh NM)

I think you have to be drinking (probably heavily) to enjoy bowling.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I think you have to be drinking (probably heavily) to enjoy bowling.

Absolutely! In fact tonight is the last night of league for me for the season. And just like every year before, I'm not bowling next year.....until mid August when my buddies say "C'mon, one more season. What else are you going to do on Sunday's and Monday's when it's snowing and 3° outside? They have beer there!". "Good Point!"

I really need to move south....

Absolutely! In fact tonight is the last night of league for me for the season. And just like every year before, I'm not bowling next year.....until mid August when my buddies say "C'mon, one more season. What else are you going to do on Sunday's and Monday's when it's snowing and 3° outside? They have beer there!". "Good Point!"

I play hockey when it is cold... usually don't mix hockey and beer though unless I'm a specator. I DO bowl about twice a year, but I just don't think I could take it every week, and so many leagues are several weeks long and sometimes twice a week. Just too much for me.

I really need to move south....

I'm moving May 16th and can't wait. Golf all year long

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I play hockey when it is cold... usually don't mix hockey and beer though unless I'm a specator. I DO bowl about twice a year, but I just don't think I could take it every week, and so many leagues are several weeks long and sometimes twice a week. Just too much for me.

I love hockey but the closest I get to it is watching it. Used to love playing floor hockey but never was any good at ice skating.

Bowling leagues are WAY too long......but so is winter. That's why I always make sure that, if I'm joining, at least my team is going to be having fun.
I'm moving May 16th and can't wait. Golf all year long

That'd be nice. Sometimes I wish I didn't love my job so much....cuz that's where I'd be going! Or somewhere around there. In time I guess!

Best of luck on your move! And of course the year round golf!

I don't drink anything while I'm playing. I take it too seriuos and I have when they invite me to play and they are drinking, they start doing a mess with the game and it affects me.

Regards.

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I dont like to drink while I am playing. I would rather drink water while I am playing and then tip a few beers back at the 19th hole.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I dont like to drink while I am playing. I would rather drink water while I am playing and then tip a few beers back at the 19th hole.

Me, too. I enjoy playing too much sober and, I work at it a bit too hard to interfere in any way with the less than stellar coordination with which I am possessed. Besides, after a round of 18 on a hot day, a tall, cold Bloody Mary hits the spot just right. It just wouldn't taste as good if I were already lit or, if I knew I might have had a good round were it not for the previous consumption.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I got matched up with a threesome one day last week. All three were swilling down the beer pretty heavy. None of them played very well. One guy in particular was really struggling. He sliced it, he hooked it, he skulled it, you name it. Played with that same guy again today and he was sober. Today he was a really good golfer. Go figure.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Hand-in-Hand... A couple spread out over a round is not bad. Any more than that, my game goes to $h!+.

Can't wait for the 19th. Puka! Suck'um up Brudda!

Note: This thread is 5871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!