IGNORED

Rx for Lost Swing

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took up golf last year. After getting frustrated with my progress, I bought some lessons with the PGA teaching pro and my game improved to a 24 handicap before the winter rains soaked the course. I played through the winter with no improvement so I decided take more lessons this spring with the same pro. In nine one-hour lessons, my index was lowered to 17 and I was pleased with my game - bogey golf is my goal, for now. All of a sudden, my game went south and I lost confidence in myself. I doubted every decision the game required of me. I did a search in the Sandtrap forum and found a range of answers to this same dilemna - from put the clubs away for awhile to consult a pro. I chose to see my teaching pro and for me it was the right prescription. Within minutes, the pro identified a flaw in my swing - subtle but detrimental - and I was cured (for now).

They are a professional for a reason, especially if they helped you that much to start off with to drop your handicap that much so quickly.

I've said it before, but a lot of times I'll move on to a next swing key and if I focus on that too much I forget what I learned, so I go back through my checklist of feelings that end up putting me in good golf positions.  I can then generally figure out which one I was slacking on and rededicate myself to improving that one (which normally doesn't take long) and going back to my working piece.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@dumbbunny, do you have a notebook or online video you can go back and reference from each lesson?   Reviewing this information can be key when your swing goes south.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, dumbbunny said:

I took up golf last year. After getting frustrated with my progress, I bought some lessons with the PGA teaching pro and my game improved to a 24 handicap before the winter rains soaked the course. I played through the winter with no improvement so I decided take more lessons this spring with the same pro. In nine one-hour lessons, my index was lowered to 17 and I was pleased with my game - bogey golf is my goal, for now. All of a sudden, my game went south and I lost confidence in myself. I doubted every decision the game required of me. I did a search in the Sandtrap forum and found a range of answers to this same dilemna - from put the clubs away for awhile to consult a pro. I chose to see my teaching pro and for me it was the right prescription. Within minutes, the pro identified a flaw in my swing - subtle but detrimental - and I was cured (for now).

One year? I’d guess you’re going to go through ten more up and down cycles the next 6 years :-D

17 is great after one year!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

6 hours ago, dennyjones said:

@dumbbunny, do you have a notebook or online video you can go back and reference from each lesson?   Reviewing this information can be key when your swing goes south.

The pro sends me my "before and after" swing videos after each lesson. I keep them for reference. This most recent incident of opening my left shoulder instead of dropping my right shoulder on the downswing had been covered but I forgot about it.

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

One year? I’d guess you’re going to go through ten more up and down cycles the next 6 years :-D

17 is great after one year!

I am retired and my house has golf course frontage. So I play on average five times per week even in the rainy Pacific Northwest winter. 

Consulting your pro periodically is a good idea. I have similar issues but I usually go to the range and sort them out in a few minutes. If consulted a pro every time I had swing issues, I would have to get a second job... 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I am in a similar position.  I started playing this year and am down to a 23.5.  I can put together some very respectable rounds (for me), but I can also put up some stinkers.  Lately, my driving is very disappointing after being pretty good for weeks.  My solution is the same as yours.  I am going to my pro this weekend.  I try to get lessons with him every two weeks, but I can only get there on Saturdays, so it can be sporadic.  But he helps me every time I go and my game gets better every time, except when I forget what I am supposed to do.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!