IGNORED

Black Oxide removal

Note: This thread is 1985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

IMG_20180926_141342542.thumb.jpg.08f7d0cc316c85a2afa68ed2783232c3.jpgI had a few light scratches on the face of my Titleist Driver. I was able to buff them out with some fine grit sandpaper (or emory might be better), but that also left an abrasion patch. I then  took a sponge and swiped on a generous layer of brown vinegar and let stand for awhile.

After a bit of elbow grease with grit paper, the result was a smooth club face, score lines intact and kind of bronzed look. You can't really paint the face as that would not hold up. The vinegar works pretty well to remove the black oxide. Another remedy I am told is "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner which contains hydrochloric acid (HCL). or you can use commercial HCL diluted 30%.

Not too shabby!

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am forced to ask....Why?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

27 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I am forced to ask....Why?

did you not see where I mentioned the scratches?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

He could still wonder why you bothered… they're scratches.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tough crowd here...lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Scratches seem like a good enough reason for me!  Those black faces can look awful from sandy conditions etc...

Nice job!

thanks.

1 hour ago, CaseyD said:

That looks pretty sic. 

it came out okay- tks

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Tough crowd here...lol.

haha..so what else is new?

"James"

Not super familiar with all the Titleist models but if the fairway and hybrid are the same and you polished them up to match that would be a cool looking set. Any Titleist fan boys will be hittin you up with “what model is that”.  That’s a perfect time for the “they are your issue” response. Hahaha.  

17 hours ago, Hacker James said:

14 hours ago, iacas said:

He could still wonder why you bothered… they're scratches.

This^^^^

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but golf clubs get scratches and dings, I mean they are tools we repeatedly swing into the dirt. If I attempted to buff out every scratch, I would spend more time working on my clubs than I would working on my game. I am all for returning my woods to their respective headcovers and wiping off every club after each use, but thats about as far as I am willing to go. Iron covers are a waste of time not to mention a bit of a joke, and using sandpaper and toilet bowl cleaner to clean my driver seems a bit excessive as well. But hey, to each his own, buff away!

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, CaseyD said:

Not super familiar with all the Titleist models but if the fairway and hybrid are the same and you polished them up to match that would be a cool looking set. Any Titleist fan boys will be hittin you up with “what model is that”.  That’s a perfect time for the “they are your issue” response. Hahaha.  

I am not sure I would go that far. My motivation is not all that relevant but merely a matter of personal preference. I was mostly trying to demonstrate the process involved may be helpful in case others that may be interested in refinishing clubs as has been addressed by multiple threads in the past. Once I had mitigated the scratches, I had little choice but to continue to present a more uniform appearance. 

"James"

• 4 weeks later...

not sure I would call it a benefit, but an observation after removal of the oxide coating is that you can readily see the dimple pattern (brand new ball an exception) on the club face without the need for foot powder e.t.c.  It may also be possible that this much smoother face may reduce spin (probably only seems so), as my drives are much straighter. 

Here is a photo of two hits in succession. (into a net). Just wipe off with finger and reload.

IMG_20181021_165322177.thumb.jpg.f13c67ec0cdb665fef4ae068f18ef931.jpg

"James"

Note: This thread is 1985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!