IGNORED

Question - New Caddy Rule 2019

Golf2019
Note: This thread is 2024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a question about the new caddy rule and lining up a player. I understand it for the most part but if I am standing in front of my player for example on a putting green and the hole is between us once they take there stance would I be able to direct them verbally since I am not standing behind the player. Also could I direct them from some other position like from the side. I guess does this rule just prohibit giving alignment advice from behind the player?  Was just a bit confused on this. 

Thanks for help on this and here is the rule.

2019 Rule: Under Rule 10.2b(4):

• The current prohibition will be extended so that, once the player begins taking a stance for the stroke, and until the stroke is made, the player’s caddie must not deliberately stand on or close to an extension of the line of play behind the ball for any reason.
  • There will be no penalty if the caddie accidentally stands on or close to an extension of the line of play behind the ball, rather than in trying to help in lining up.

Reasons for Change:

Although a player may get advice from a caddie on the shot to be played, the line of play and similar matters, the ability to line up one’s feet and body accurately to a target line is a fundamental skill of the game for which the player alone should be responsible.

• Allowing a caddie to stand behind a player taking a stance so as to direct the player how to line up undermines the player’s need to use his or her own alignment skills and judgment.

We believe that an appropriate line is drawn between allowing advice from a caddie and prohibiting the caddie from being involved in directing the player in the act of taking a stance to play the ball.

The prohibition on standing behind the player while he takes his stance is to stop a caddie assisting in lining up his feet and body.  That can only be done from behind. If the caddie stood in front and faced the player to line up his feet etc he wouldn't be able to see the target.  If he faced the target he wouldn't be able to see his player.

Off the green, anyone can stand on your line of play to point it out. The person must move away before the stroke is made, which means he can be there while the player takes his stance. [Rule 10.2b (1)]

On the green, your caddie will be able to  stand on your line of play while pointing it out as there be no penalty for touching the line of play.  He must not stay on or near the line of play while the stroke is being made (except if attending the flagstick) which again means that he could be there while you take your stance. [Rule 10.2b(2)]

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ColinL said:

The prohibition on standing behind the player while he takes his stance is to stop a caddie assisting in lining up his feet and body.  That can only be done from behind. If the caddie stood in front and faced the player to line up his feet etc he wouldn't be able to see the target.  If he faced the target he wouldn't be able to see his player.

Off the green, anyone can stand on your line of play to point it out. The person must move away before the stroke is made, which means he can be there while the player takes his stance. [Rule 10.2b (1)]

On the green, your caddie will be able to  stand on your line of play while pointing it out as there be no penalty for touching the line of play.  He must not stay on or near the line of play while the stroke is being made (except if attending the flagstick) which again means that he could be there while you take your stance. [Rule 10.2b(2)]

I think @Golf2019 is referring to the possibility of standing beyond the hole so the caddie can see both the hole and the player’s body/feet alignment and so be able to direct the player. Just from the other direction:

6 hours ago, Golf2019 said:

I understand it for the most part but if I am standing in front of my player for example on a putting green and the hole is between us once they take there stance would I be able to direct them verbally since I am not standing behind the player.

The rule describes extension of the line of play behind the ball. So why is extension beyond the hole not also prohibited? One quick answer is that it would make attending the flagstick difficult without running afoul of such a rule.

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first paragraph was only intended to point out that it wouldn't normally be possible to stand in front of the player and simultaneously see the target and the player's stance.  I missed the aspect of the question whereby if you are on the other side of the hole on the green you could see both target and player.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I see nothing that would prohibit the caddie standing there and guiding his player while he took his stance provided he moved away before his player made his stroke.

Attending the flagstick is specifically excepted. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Ive only seen that happen a couple times on the LPGA. And it was always before the stroke.  Didn't think it was that much of an issue to require a rules modification. 

They changed the rule pretty much along the lines of what I had suggested.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!