IGNORED

How many shots do I get??

Popeye
Note: This thread is 2028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Warning-daft question arriving!

Just need a pint clarifying for me, sorry if it's obvious to some but I'm new to the game and still trying to get my head around some things!

At the minute a have a handicap of 28. Now in match play that should mean I get a shot on every hole and 2 on holes 1-10? Correct? However, although my home course is a par 71 it has a sss of 69. Does this 2 shot difference affect what holes I can take 2 shots on or does it not matter? Tia.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Popeye said:

At the minute a have a handicap of 28. Now in match play that should mean I get a shot on every hole and 2 on holes 1-10? Correct? However, although my home course is a par 71 it has a sss of 69. Does this 2 shot difference affect what holes I can take 2 shots on or does it not matter? Tia.

No, the course par does not come into effect. If you have a course that is par 72 with a slope of 125, you get the same number of strokes as a par 70 with a slope of 125. You just get the strokes on the hardest holes.

lets say a golfer has 20 strokes, they would get 1 stroke on every hole, and then an additional stroke on the #1 and #2 handicap holes.

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Is that 28 your index or your course handicap? Before you can do anything you have to convert your index into a course handicap. You can do that at GHIN.com. Once you have your C.H. you get a shot on every hole and then two shots on the hardest holes according to handicap. For instance if your course handicap is a 28 you get a shot a hole and two shots on handicap holes #1-10.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

35 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Is that 28 your index or your course handicap? 

Never heard of the term index before.

As far as I'm aware that is just my course handicap. How would I go about finding this out?

P.s should also point out that I am in the UK so not sure how the system differs.

4 hours ago, Popeye said:

As far as I'm aware that is just my course handicap. How would I go about finding this out?

P.s should also point out that I am in the UK so not sure how the system differs.

So I'm assuming that under CONGU your handicap is a single number, not an "adjustable" thing like the USGA Handicap Index.  In a match, you get the difference between your handicap and your opponent's.  If you're playing a scratch player, you're right, a stroke on holes 11-18, and two strokes on #1 to #10.  The same would apply if you're in a Stableford competition.  But if you're playing a match against a 20 handicapper, you only get 8, and he gets none, and your strokes fall on holes with handicap numbers 1 to 8.  And if you're in a straight stroke-play competition, you subtract 28 at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where the strokes fall.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

20 hours ago, Popeye said:

Yes CONGU is different, you don't have an Index like the GHIN System. You get a stroke a hole and 2 strokes on handicap holes #1-#10.

16 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

So I'm assuming that under CONGU your handicap is a single number, not an "adjustable" thing like the USGA Handicap Index.

In the CONGU system them still calculate the handicap to one decimal place but then they round to the nearest whole number for a playing handicap. So a 9.2 would be a 9 playing handicap whereas a 9.6 would be a 10. Interesting...

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!