IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

To echo what @nevets88 said, keep filming your practice to make sure you are doing it the same way. Also, if you have a mirror, 5 minutes of mirror work can help a lot. It looks really good.

I will. The weather got cold fast around here so all I’ve been able to do is the indoor mirror work which is usually about an hour on and off. Today is a perfect practice day but i kind of have to play. Course is closing forever soon and the group is playing. At minimum I think I need to get myself a “one noodle setup” so I have something to swing to the right of (instead of a line I pick out.) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My strengthened grip is causing one weird issue. Intense pain (scale 8-9). Middle knuckle on left index finger and top/tip knuckle of right ring finger. Anyone been through this...should I wear tape or adjust a tad?

E9193DD3-D3D0-4BE5-A077-F780E2189407.jpeg

0C98E80F-F900-4B8B-9290-B0229910DFAB.jpeg

• Administrator

Two things:

• Align the knuckles so that they don't sit right next to each other. Arrange the hands so that the left knuckle that's sore sits between the knuckles on the right hand.
  • Don't grip quite so firmly. You're simply squeezing hard, and those knuckles are rubbing and vibrating and almost "bouncing" into each other.

Your hands probably shouldn't be moving quite as much as they are, or being squeezed quite as tight as they are:

Look into how much across the palm the grip still is. You'll probably find that even though you've got a "stronger" grip, that your fingers are still running too "parallel" to the grip and not "perpendicular" enough because it's still a little bit too much in the palm.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Two videos from my practice session today. I worked on the drill from my lesson. Setup/ strong grip/ flatter backswing feel (small part, not my current priority)/ swinging out (major priority)

It’s hard for me to tell if this was a success or failure. I’m just doing the drill I was told. I do this at least 100 times a day in the mirror when it too cold -and sometimes in my sleep.

• Administrator

I'll post something later tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Two videos from my practice session today. I worked on the drill from my lesson. Setup/ strong grip/ flatter backswing feel (small part, not my current priority)/ swinging out (major priority)

It’s hard for me to tell if this was a success or failure. I’m just doing the drill I was told. I do this at least 100 times a day in the mirror when it too cold -and sometimes in my sleep.

You're not really doing the first drill, and you've got to do that first before you do these, especially if you're doing these at a higher speed than you should be for now.

I don't see a big difference here:

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

You'd have missed the stick in the old swing, too, but barely. Remember, the drill is to miss the stick by a foot or two, and to be able to miss the stick that left arm has to stay deeper during the transition and early downswing.

That was the first drill we did (well, the left arm is deeper like we got during the first drills, with the shaft or stick over the right shoulder):

On 10/28/2018 at 10:19 AM, Slim_Pivot said:

2FCFBA17-5594-4551-8F66-C53571363418.png

54 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're not really doing the first drill, and you've got to do that first before you do these, especially if you're doing these at a higher speed than you should be for now.

I don't see a big difference here:

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

You'd have missed the stick in the old swing, too, but barely. Remember, the drill is to miss the stick by a foot or two, and to be able to miss the stick that left arm has to stay deeper during the transition and early downswing.

That was the first drill we did (well, the left arm is deeper like we got during the first drills, with the shaft or stick over the right shoulder):

Ok thanks. I couldn’t remember anything about the transition, so I just kept trying to swing way out

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Ok thanks. I couldn’t remember anything about the transition, so I just kept trying to swing way out

It should be helpful to review the notes. Remember, you did two dynamic things. Gotta do the first one, helps orient the hula hoop to the right.

@iacas Before I go back to the store...do you have any tips on building the double-noodle swing station? My first attempt ended in failure and wants to tip over 😒. The joints I got were 90* and 45*. I did get the angles correct...i just had to use more joints in combination. I might just need heavier PVC. No hurry on the reply, I cannot go until the afternoon/evening. Thanks

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

@iacas Before I go back to the store...do you have any tips on building the double-noodle swing station? My first attempt ended in failure and wants to tip over 😒. The joints I got were 90* and 45*. I did get the angles correct...i just had to use more joints in combination. I might just need heavier PVC. No hurry on the reply, I cannot go until the afternoon/evening. Thanks

I didn't use any 45° joints.

I don't know if I'd build a station like that. You could just build two of the single-use ones. That's just a little 1" PVC, some caps and 90° angles, and the three-way one for the center support thing.

If I were you I'd just find a way to get an alignment stick where you need it to be. Your first priority is still the backswing and that left arm depth stuff. You're gonna shank a TON of balls if you keep letting the left arm shift out and then you try to swing over the other stick.

The alignment stick over the right shoulder helps with that. The two-stick "station" didn't really help with that specifically except as a very loose reminder… but it was not near your right shoulder enough to actually require it.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I didn't use any 45° joints.

I don't know if I'd build a station like that. You could just build two of the single-use ones. That's just a little 1" PVC, some caps and 90° angles, and the three-way one for the center support thing.

If I were you I'd just find a way to get an alignment stick where you need it to be. Your first priority is still the backswing and that left arm depth stuff. You're gonna shank a TON of balls if you keep letting the left arm shift out and then you try to swing over the other stick.

The alignment stick over the right shoulder helps with that. The two-stick "station" didn't really help with that specifically except as a very loose reminder… but it was not near your right shoulder enough to actually require it.

Thanks for the advise. Backswing is my current main priority. And ok I will do that. Thanks!

Correction

Backswing/early downswing. The stuff under the first noodle I meant. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Backswing/early downswing. The stuff under the first noodle I meant. 

Yes, more the downswing stuff. Backswing was fine.

As you saw in the photos I posted up above, earlier… the downswing wasn't much different than it was in your first video.

Worry more about the "back side" of the hula hoop before worrying about where the front side goes. The front side is partly/mostly a reaction to the back side.

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of being injured and then getting new bedroom floors, I was able to make it to a heated driving range and hit real golf balls.

My feels... In order to not come over the top. I felt like the club hitched down behind me (like if I pretended to be Rory) as I transitioned my weight to my front foot (pushed weight hard, down, and forward). I also tried to swing out to the right. Really tried to swing on a right facing hula hoop. Setting up the golf balls around me really helped.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

My feels... In order to not come over the top. I felt like the club hitched down behind me (like if I pretended to be Rory) as I transitioned my weight to my front foot (pushed weight hard, down, and forward). I also tried to swing out to the right. Really tried to swing on a right facing hula hoop. Setting up the golf balls around me really helped.

Few quick notes:

• Those are better swings for the left arm depth on the downswing ~A5.
  • I like the golf balls. Just remember that it's - for you, right now - more about your left arm and not as much about the clubhead.
  • As the left arm starts to get better at A5, the follow-through will be easier and easier (missing the stick by more and more).
  • Pushes are good for now. There's a wrist thing to work on that I told you about, but which would be too much (a third thing) right now. December or January, probably.

Good. Better than the previous videos. Actual progress here… focusing on A5 first.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

@iacas Thanks. I’ll work on getting more left arm depth at a-5. those little swings are all I’m doing.

To clarify… that's what you're doing here. That's not a new thing, just the same thing.

Note: This thread is 782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!