IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

01.jpg

Both of those could be a little bit better. A bit more palmar flexion, and controlling that overtaking/rolling rate better on the follow-through.

Best advice I can give you right now: review your photos and the notes beneath them, and spend a little time working on those things again. Start small, and slow, and short… and you'll find that you can get back to higher speeds relatively quickly. Not as slow as the last time, the first time, but not immediately full swings, either, at full speed.

All that said, yeah, the angle doesn't help a ton, and there's no face-on, so…

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was able to get some range work in today. I did many drills and dribbled many balls 20 yards while swinging 2 MPH. I went through my notes and worked on a few things.

1. Keeping a steady head in the backswing, focused on pushing my left shoulder down to finish my turn.

2. (Main priority) I worked on supinating the heck out of it. Bowing wrist from the top, throughout downswing, and through the finish. I really wanted my lead arm way ahead of the ball at impact (feeling).

3. (Minor priority) I wanted to maintain lead arm depth in transition. I feel as if I did NOT do this enough, but I was focusing too hard on the main priority.

PAUSE DRILL

FIRST REGAINED SUPINATION FEEING, forgot to stop. Sry @iacas

Regained forgotten feeling...(inside out feeling-personal use)

DRILL

Good example of what I was trying to do. Not in love with backswing, would like more supination and depth in downswing.

Overall I think this was successful. Regained feelings and coordination. I think my backswing needs to improve by having almost no cup or slight bow at the top. I may not be physically able to bow the wrist enough if it’s cupped.

• Administrator

Looks like you got mostly back on track. You're right about the arm depth, but it wasn't "bad" in the last two videos. Not great, but better.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Looks like you got mostly back on track. You're right about the arm depth, but it wasn't "bad" in the last two videos. Not great, but better.

Ok, thanks for the info so I know where I stand. So I’ll keep working to get deep and as supinated as I can. I was going to make an appointment with you sometime in the next 7-17 days. I don’t know what to do next. Am I close to being able to play?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Ok, thanks for the info so I know where I stand. So I’ll keep working to get deep and as supinated as I can. I was going to make an appointment with you sometime in the next 7-17 days. I don’t know what to do next. Am I close to being able to play?

I'm not sure what supination you keep talking about. Do you mean palmar flexion of the left wrist?

Also, you should be fine to play any time… but also, even Tour pros are working on things. It just depends, in part, on how far you get and how far you want to go.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not sure what supination you keep talking about. Do you mean palmar flexion of the left wrist?

Yes. Sorry, I thought supination was bowing your lead wrist.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also, you should be fine to play any time… but also, even Tour pros are working on things. It just depends, in part, on how far you get and how far you want to go.

I didn’t think about it. Just got into a loop. You give task, I complete. Then repeat. I felt close to being ready for the next one.

Anyways, at minimum I feel like I need an overview or wrap up-even if it’s a 5 minute demonstration where I can ask a few questions about the swing. Kind of start to finish of the swing type of deal

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Anyways, at minimum I feel like I need an overview or wrap up-even if it’s a 5 minute demonstration where I can ask a few questions about the swing. Kind of start to finish of the swing type of deal

Sure, any time. But you just took a long time off and haven't been practicing much, or I'm misunderstanding? As you know I'm not a big fan of piling more in when you're already thinking/working on two things.

This is hardly worth posting, but for the sake of tracking progress here it goes. Sorry for the long post, it’s long because of some confusion. I will keep them shorter in the future.

Starting the session my plan was to get the backswing and transition deeper, increase bowing my lead wrist throughout the downswing, increase forward shaft lean at impact. I stood farther from the ball like in original lesson to accomplish this.

FIRST ATTEMPT TO GET A BASELINE

This was upsetting. I was most concerned with the wrist flip. Standing farther away took away my ability to pivot around with my body. I felt like I was reaching for it. “Very arms” feeling to reach ball.

ATTEMPT TO PIVOT THROUGH IMPACT IN THIS POSTURE AND NOT FLIP

So it flipped, which stinks. So I spent the entire remainder of the session doing in-to-out drills. I almost didn’t include this, but it might be my best total vid of the day-so it gets included.

IN-TO-OUT DRILL(s) BULK OF SESSION

I imagined the foam noodles from my first drill; under the first, over the second. Regained a backswing feeling. I felt like I really pushed the club low and shifted to my back foot. I think my backswing improved during this session.

Same thing, better contact, better with imroved flip. It was hard to get my hands leading. I could not get it to happen correctly

THOUGHTS-I think I was spinning out with hips. Will try to drive hips in order to allow club to drop in transition. Also body keeps moving in backswing. Must try to keep posture.

This session was very strange, I think I improved my backswing but REALLY struggled with contact. (Inside out feeling was gone) I thought last session was very successful with how my body was working on the downswing. And I thought-based on the follow through-that I was truly swinging properly for the first time. 

FOR NEXT TIME:  (unless told different)

1.Start with the under/over drill to get backswing pressures working properly.

2. Stand a tad closer (to improve contact.)

3. Drive hips toward target in transition

4. Driving hips may allow my “downswing pivot” -inside out feeling- try to get that feeling.

• Administrator

A few quick thoughts:

• Mind your camera angles. Though the club looks like it's coming from slightly inside on several, it's likely a little bit "out" because the camera is too far "out" too. Toe line. https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing
  • Your "flip" is more because your hands slow down. Keep your hands going faster, keep your pivot speed up. If your right hand "throws" the clubhead at the ball, that'll slow down your hands, too.
  • You're still on track with things. Make shorter swings where the ball pushes or draws, and work your way up to longer swings. Going at full speed just "trying" to do things isn't a great way to practice. Work at the edge of your ability.
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

A few quick thoughts:

• Mind your camera angles. Though the club looks like it's coming from slightly inside on several, it's likely a little bit "out" because the camera is too far "out" too. Toe line. https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing
  • Your "flip" is more because your hands slow down. Keep your hands going faster, keep your pivot speed up. If your right hand "throws" the clubhead at the ball, that'll slow down your hands, too.
  • You're still on track with things. Make shorter swings where the ball pushes or draws, and work your way up to longer swings. Going at full speed just "trying" to do things isn't a great way to practice. Work at the edge of your ability.

Ok thanks for the advice, I will do that with my hands.

Darn I tried to do toe line. There’s a stupid railing I have so strap my tripod on to. But I’ll take more care with it.

Ill do more slow swings rather than ~20% slow swings.

Spent about 3 hours of mirror/ slow motion work last night-trying to improve backswing plus the usual.

Today I went to the range after work. 

Goals:

1.Stand closer to ball

2. Try “improved” backswing. (Fail)

3. Stay deep in transition,

4. bow wrist throughout the downswing. 

Biggest concern was not finding the clubface

BACKSWING: I was trying to take it back low and wide. I did not like, will scrap it. Will go back to trying a more centered pivot. I think I’m getting behind it and can’t pivot around into contact this way. So I must use arms more.

TRANSITION: The goal was to drive hips in transition to allow arms to fall down. I was not able to accomplish this today because my body was way too far behind it. Could not hit ball.

AT P5: I liked the depth I got in transition. I consider that to be successful. (Side note below)*

BOWING OF WRIST: could not bow the wrist enough today. Not successful. However, I believe this to be impossible due to my trunk being too far behind the ball. Must fix backswing

FOR NEXT TIME

1. Work on a more centered (feeling) backswing to allow for better contact.

2. Continue to keep depth at P5

3. Drive hips more toward target in transition.

4. FIND THE CLUBFACE

Lastly- I changed my posture a bit to stand closer to ball. Let me know any thoughts on it. Also don’t like the “classic set up” post because that’s what I was trying to do in the first place lol.

*Don’t post*, not like. Autocorrect error

• Administrator

I think things are fine. I don't know what the "improved backswing" is, but I don't think I'd worry about it.

Your head is moving around a fair bit - down to start, up late in the backswing, etc. and that's probably why you can't "find the ball" very well.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think things are fine. I don't know what the "improved backswing" is, but I don't think I'd worry about it.

Your head is moving around a fair bit - down to start, up late in the backswing, etc. and that's probably why you can't "find the ball" very well.

Ok thanks, I’ll work on steadying my head. Ive been trying to stop all that dipping around. I will try to accomplish that by keeping my head still.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Ok thanks, I’ll work on steadying my head. Ive been trying to stop all that dipping around. I will try to accomplish that by keeping my head still.

Just minimized. Make a few backswings with your forehead on a towel that is on a wall.

• Informative 1

Goals for session:

1. Get more depth in backswing

2. Keep head still

The upper leve or this range is a nightmare for video. These were the best vids I could get

I went back to standing farther from ball to get more depth.

Backswing feel... deep. Get it deep, keep it deep. Made sure hands did not move away from body to start swing.

Feel (personal use) I felt the club lagging behind me and was able to turn my torso ahead of arms/hands to accomplish a delofting impact (I think)

This last video #3 was after I did a lot of work on keeping my head still.

NOTES:

1. When I kept my head still, I I felt like I wasn’t turning very much and was just moving my arms back.

2. I don’t know what to do going forward, are these good? I don’t know what posture/backswing to use.

3. I do not know about this impact. I’m used to having a more vertical shaft at impact (maybe because I had bad fundamentals?). But I felt as if my misses would be duckhooks if this is my future swing...but that’s for my next lesson I assume.

Lastly, I did not have enough mental energy to practice too hard today. I used too much at work. I will be more aware of this in the future and maybe skip the day. For instance I could not cut off my swing.

• Administrator

Let me know if you're going to be up in Erie next. There's more good there than you're giving yourself credit for, but the breaks you seem to take might have hurt a bit.

I feel like you kind of "lost your place" a little bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I def lost my place.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

but the breaks you seem to take might have hurt a bit.

I took one offseason break after going hard for 7-8 months. I will go hard spring, summer, fall, and shut down in winter. We can move on from that tho...

I will keep practicing in the meantime, but I will try to even make a day trip as soon as I can. I need to get back on track so I can prepare for the upcoming season

Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!