IGNORED

Lessons - Did they work for you?.

cbe_golfer
Note: This thread is 5876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Lessons - Did they work for you?

• Great instructions, I practiced them relentless. Great results.
    • Great instructions, could not practice it enough
    • Poor instructions, I practiced hard. My game went downhill.
    • Poor instructions, I was not convinced enough to practice.

Absolutely. My thoughts on this issue are very simple. I believe the reason it is very hard for most people to improve is because there is too much info out there and too many conflicting theories. I had been around a 7 handicap most of my adult life trying to apply everything I read in golf digest or from friends that I thought knew what they were talking about. Finally, last year I paid $45 for a lesson in February. The pro I took it from had good creds. He has played in US Open qualifiers and some regional mini tours so I gave it a shot. All I can say is I wish I would have taken it sooner because it got me over the hump. I bought into his single, uncomplicated swing theory which allowed me to concentrate on one thing instead of running around trying to find quick-fixes. Over one season I went from a 7 to a 0 just by simplifying things. My advice is to first find someone with some creds and then buy into his teachings and just read golf publications for entertainment.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I played a 9 hole outing once with a scratch golfer and after we were done he liked my swing so much that he talked to my dad and wanted to work with me for a little while. I think he qualified for the US Open back in the day and was very knowledgeable. Most of the sessions were just minor adjustments but I was getting a club more in distance and I shot my low round 68 after just 2 weeks. Also I didn't have to pay as they were offered to me for free but I got very good results.

Just a little fun fact, my dad started working with him at night by coincidence so I am informed on little drills and tips every once in a while just to make sure I'm still doing the right things for my high school tryouts this spring.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

My father-in-law kept suggesting I take lessons. He's an avid golfer and at the time I had little interest in the game. A few years ago I took his advice and took some lessons with a local pro. At the time, I was a miserable golfer. My scores were too high to keep track of and I was very frustrated. After the lessons I worked on the drills and slowly got better. Each year I took a few more lessons and set goals for myself. First break 100, then 90, then 80. Now I'm trying to lower my handicap to single digits. I enjoy the game so much more now and I usually beat my FIL . I wouldn't have been able to improve like this without lessons.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

I grew up basically learning the golf swing myself. I had a friend who played at East Carolina that was 6 years older from me and then played some mini-tours. He usually helped me out from time to time, but it wasn't really a lesson. After I graduated from HS, my college coach wanted me to get more serious instruction and the pro I got lessons from stunk and it really screwed up my game because I was the type that would practice relentlessly. I then junked the pro and decided to work on the swing by myself and change just about everything, starting from the grip.

That didn't really work either (although it was better than the pro I was getting lessons from). I finally hit a great teacher and my game improved by leaps and bounds almost instantly. I referred my best friend to him (who now plays mini-tours) and his game improved leaps and bounds. Now I hardly play because I'm out of the golfing world, but I'm far better when I hardly play now than I was when I hit a stretch of hardly playing.

A couple of years ago my old HS coach found some lost video of my swing in my senior year. It was really, really good and I just wish I never listened to my college coach to begin with.

So for me I've had just about every experience you can have when it comes to golf lessons. At least now I know if the pro knows what he's talking about or not.

3JACK

I took lessons within the first three months I started playing the game. Caught on quick, and from that point on was hooked with what I learned. It made the game fun to play and loads easier. Did everything from increased Driving Distance to Accuracy from tee to green. Pending on the teacher, lessons is an excellent idea.

After the lessons I used what I learned but after awhile I found myself going back to old routines.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

i had lesson with my head pro, and they were great....unfortunatly, when i have lessons (in the summer) i am really busy. we had been developing a flatter swing, i played 9 holes after the lesson (decently), and the next day i was off to chicago for a music camp. i then tried OVER EXAGERATING the movement and was way to flat (i actually was shanking the ball for quite a bit) so in short, i won't take lessons unless i will be around for at least a week after

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I have a pretty good teacher who knows how to communicate. That's the biggest isssue. There are some teachers who can't communicate what they are seeing.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I just got back from 2 days at the Butch Harmon School of Golf, and I will say that I learned alot and am really glad I went. I have a lot to work on in all facets of my game, but I feel like I got a really solid foundation to work off of. I played nine yesterday and shot a 43 (better then I normally do buy a 2-3 strokes) and felt like I hit the ball better.

As others have said, the fundamentals were drilled, and also how you approach every shot. Playing with very good players (the instructors) for 9 holes in 35 mph winds also gave some insight into how better players think differently then I do on what shots to hit.

I know that it is going to take a while (and a lot of practice) to improve, but I am excited to get after it

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Baffler Rail H 17 & 22 Fujikura Motore S

S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Studio Style Newport 1.5

Lessons have helped me develop a much better fundamental swing all around. I don't score better YET, but my shots are solid and my number of duffs and/or shanks are down. Lessons are not a quick fix but, with work and dedication, will improve your game over the long run!!!!! Do it!!

907 D2 Tour with Fujikura Rombax 7Z08
909 D3 with stock Aldila Voodoo
909 19*with Fujikura Speeder 904HB
909 24* with Fujikura Speeder 904HB
MX 200's (5-GW) with DG XP's MP-10 54* and 58* Kombi B330-S or TP Red's (while they last)

My first experience with golf was at a company golf tourney. I was so bad I vowed to to play better at the next one. So I took lessons to learn the game of golf. My team won 2nd place the following year tourney. I continually took lessons twice a month for 3 years. I still take lessons here and there to work on my game that needs a second eye. I've been playing for 7 years now and the lowest my handicap got was a 6. Yea, lessons help, they can help a lot - even if you get one or two things to help your game. Oh, and this is important, lessons don't work if you don't practice them.

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

Lessons were very good and I practiced religiously.

What I will say is the person teaching me was very technical and about feel and I respond better to analogy teaching better, so my turn around time on improvement was a little longer as I worked through the teaching delivery method of the instructor....in the end he was right....just took me longer to get my head around it :D
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

I have taken several lessons from my current pro and have improved, especially on things like grip and set-up, but also on some feel issues like tempo. I always manage to swing the club great when working with him, but when he goes on to the next lesson and leaves me with a bucket of balls, I don't swing as well and find it hard to repeat what he was working with me.

The one thing I don't like is the lack of personalization with my current pro in both swing and dealing with me. I understand that they see a lot of people everyday, but I hate having to run through the same information every time, and feeling like he is teaching the same swing to everyone rather than working to improve my swing.

That said, I have been thinking about taking lessons from some other pros, and am looking for suggestions on good pros in the Metro Detroit Area. In order to avoid hijacking the thread if you have any suggestions please PM me with the information. Thanks.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Lessons have worked great for me. Having a great instructor is key.
You need someone to tell you how to do it properly, combined with putting in the practice time.
It's made a huge difference in my game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Lessons are great - I am lucky to have a teaching and former touring pro in the family and he has helped me imensely.

But I think that you can benefit even if you don't do a formal lesson by having a friend, who is hopefully good at the game watch you. They may be able to help you figure out a problem or give advice concerning different things.

I learned how to play when I was around 12 yr old. I think the best lesson I ever had was using the Medicus swing aid (used to only be a 5 iron at the time). It tought me proper swing path, and I developed a swing that was somewhat fundementally sound.

I have not taken formal lessons since my youth. I spent a lot of time working in pro shops, and some of my friends from those days are PGA certified pros. I do get tips from them from time to time, but I am not really interested in a complete overhaul of my swing.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I wasted 6 years thinking I could learn golf on my own - I have visited a golf school 4 times a year for a couple years now, and worked hard on the issues and am improving dramatically. The handicap in my sig is from before lessons. We will see later this year - what it could be down to - I did not want scoring pressure while changing my swing.

Get a good instructor and practice what he says ! You will improve!!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Note: This thread is 5876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!