IGNORED

Feet Together Drill Has Got Me Thinking - What's Wrong With a Narrow Stance?

Note: This thread is 1976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So Ive been going through an ongoing spate of shanking the ball wildly and digging massively into the turf and come over the top. I had a lesson with the pro and he recommended the feet together drill. When I do this drill, my shots improve dramatically and come in more from the inside. Obviously there is an issue with my weight transference with my 'normal' stance.

This has got me thinking, what is wrong with having a narrow stance in a normal golf swing in the first place? 

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Hugh Jars

• iacas changed the title to Feet Together Drill Has Got Me Thinking - What's Wrong With a Narrow Stance?
  • Administrator

Define "narrow"?

I prefer a stance that's a bit too narrow over one that's a bit too wide. Wide encourages swaying. Perhaps you sway with a wide stance?

When checking things like this… video really helps. Feel ain't real.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with @iacas, better to err narrow than too wide.

For a stock shot, I wouldn't get more narrow than this.

Narrow.jpg

For distance wedges I tend to narrow it up, kind of encourages a shorter swing and less power. Something like this.

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 9.35.17 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

What he said.

This is perhaps an under-rated article on the site:

I'll have to see if it's in the Instructional Content topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

One of the first things suggested to improve my setup was narrow my stance and flare my feet.  Go for it.  Everything in moderation though.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

(edited)

I feel as though I can turn through the ball better with a more narrow stance. It seems too easy to get stuck with a wide stance. The problem comes in with each individual's opinion of a "narrow stance."

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 1976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!