ChetlovesMer

These Golf Balls "Really" Explode Off the Face

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

So, I am a fan of the Volvik Vivid series. I'll admit it, I like the colors. Judge me not too harshly. I can't help it they just look cool. Plus I find them much easier to follow in the sky. Sometimes I play the white ones, sometimes the orange sherbet ones, sometimes even the lime green ones. Having said all of that, this post isn't about Volvik Vivids.

It's about these golf balls:
I was in a sporting goods store and saw these for cheap. The weather is getting crappy and I figured what could it hurt to try these as they are about 1/3 the price of Volviks. Maybe they could be my "crappy weather" ball? 

I teed it up on the first hole and "Wack!" …"What on Earth was that cloud of powder?" 

That was the ball exploding off the club face The cover literally comes off the ball when you hit it. 

I've never seen anything like it before. I took a picture of before and after ONE SHOT with the ball. The outer surface of the ball literally comes off in one strike. You can literally see the cloud of I'll call it dust that flies off the ball on impact. After one hole the ball is nearly completely smooth. I was wondering if they are allowed to say "Matte Finish, High Visibility Cover" if that matte finish and cover comes off after the fist hit?  
Needless to say I'll stick with my Vivids. 

20181105_161055.jpg

20181031_100457.jpg

20181031_100608.jpg

20181106_094457.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'd write to the company. That obviously shouldn't happen.

Good idea. I probably should have thought of that. I'll let you know how it pans out. 

I love the Vivids too. Like you mentioned, I track them better in flight and can spot them a mile away. That said, Cut Golf Yellow feel almost identical to the Volviks for $19/dz...might check them out for your "bad weather ball". They have 3 matte colors...and white for the normal guys too. www.cutgolf.co/collections/golf-balls

This just reminded me that I bought a box of Nitro Pulsar's (matte finish, lime colored) for like $12.50/dz at Wally-World to check out...after reading your experience here, maybe I'll just give those to the kids to test...

@Joey, Thanks, brother.

I'll check those out. Today is 33 degrees and raining like a big dog. So, perhaps I can get out there still a few more times this year.