IGNORED

My Swing (RJ1185)

RJ1185
Note: This thread is 1840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: I played im a very casual way (4 or 5 rounds a year with friends) since i was in my teens but played regularly for 1 year
My current handicap index or average score is: 16 (UK handicap)
My typical ball flight is: small draw on good days and big hook on bad days
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: big hook

https://youtu.be/Attu9hDISQ4

[

]

[

]

[

]

[

]

Hi guys. These are clips of me in the practice nets earlier this week. My main problem is over drawing the ball and every now and again hitting a big push. Strike and distance is probably a bit better than my handicap but control is worse.  If I shoot 88 it's more likely to be 10 pars and 8 doubles than steady bogey golf with a couple of pars.  Would be very appreciative to hear people's thoughts. 

Thanks 

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (RJ1185)
  • Administrator

The Law of Reversals: you're above the line on the backswing and early downswing, so you pull the club back onto the line in the downswing, which builds up momentum, and the club goes back under the plane.

01.jpg

Swinging that far out, of course you're going to get pushes and hooks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yes, Your "hula hoop" is pointed too far to the right, so you come back under the line, swing it over the line, and then go back under the whole downswing.

I'd feel the club steepening a bit sooner and then laying off a little at the top (feeling).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Had a go at getting the backswing and downswing more on the line.

I think theras definitely improvement there. Didn't strike the ball quite as well as I usually would but I assume that is a product of a change feeling a bit alien at first. I'll just keep practising this way till it feels more normal to me. 

]

• Administrator

That's better. I'd advise you to watch the first foot of the hand travel… don't let them go "out" to help them go "up". Let the turn carry your hands inward slightly for the first foot or two.

The shaft steepening is more a result of the forearm rotation and the hinging rates.

• Administrator

A few things. Some nit-picky, some not. All (except the first) intended to help you:

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the heads up re embedding.

On the full speed thing.  I tend to practise new things at slow speed, with holds, or a reduced hip height to hip height swing. I just don't film those bits.  Im not sure if these are necessarily the best way to practise though. Just whay ive foind good for me.

Any tips on how to practise would be greatly appreciated though- I was always fond of drills and technique work in other sports and now have my full attention on golf.

I'll try and tidy up my filming. I think I'll mark where I place the camera so it's always the same.

Thanks

• Administrator
On 11/15/2018 at 8:56 AM, RJ1185 said:

On the full speed thing.  I tend to practise new things at slow speed, with holds, or a reduced hip height to hip height swing. I just don't film those bits.  Im not sure if these are necessarily the best way to practise though. Just whay ive foind good for me.

Thanks for the article. Good information there for any sport or skill practice. I forget how many drills or technique exercises I did when playing organised sport. I expect I repeated my volleyball blocking footwork a good few thousand times at half speed when in university. If only I had that kind of time available now!

• 2 months later...

Been away a little while practising and working on imorovements. Game is definitely better outcomes wise and hope this is also a better swing. I'll try and get a face on video to go with this at some point .

• 3 weeks later...

A current face on view.

Feedback very welcome.

The hook seems to have now gone from my game but on bad days still  have push and even push fade from time to time.

So I've hit one of those total collapse phases. I've hit 150 range balls over the last 3 days an I feel about 3 have hit target. I'm hitting shanks, huge fades, and snap hooks! All this is unfortunte timing as I'm off for a golf weekend away to play some links golf this weekend.

The joys of the game!

Note: This thread is 1840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!